New to the site and doing P90x w/Q's

Options
Hello

I just started my account. Have been doing The X for 23 days. I have heard good things about this site.

My question. I have adjusted my settings for phase 1..put my calories as 1900 ..Down from 2460 which is what was recommended out of the book.
After making the changes, it says that I would be losing 0.2lbs a week.!!! I know that P90x is not a weight loss program but 0.2/lbs a week. I should be at 1lb/week right??
I burn anywhere from 260-500 calories with the workouts.

Or should I just use this site as a good calorie tracking tool and just shut up and push play;-)

Thanks
Ami

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    eating 1900 calories without exercising would have you lose 0.2/week if you exercise you caloric deficit will increase, causing you to lose more weight. If you burn 500 cals per day on the program you will lose 1.2/week, as long as you stick to 1900 cals.
  • ami789
    Options
    DId I even ask the quesiton??
    Ugh.. Basically what are your thoughts on it?
    If I'm eating 2400 calories and not burning crazy calories during my workouts then I wont lose any weight.

If I want to lose 1 pound a week the site recommends about 1500 cals/day.
  • ami789
    Options
    Thanks Eric.
    I thought something was up. Even though I selected to burn 3000cals/ week it still said .02/week.

Much appreciated
    ;-)
  • knwollak
    Options
    I was doing the P90X program as well. My husband lost his job and we got off track but we are going to start up again the first of the year. I was just going to say that the food guide for P90X is just that a guide. It was way too much food for me so I would follow this site on your calories per day and stick with the exercise plan of P90X and you will lose the weight. I lost 5 lbs. in two weeks it really does work if you do it right. I'm excited to start back up again with the new year! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks Eric.
    I thought something was up. Even though I selected to burn 3000cals/ week it still said .02/week.

Much appreciated
    ;-)

MFP ignores your exercise goals and will only show the calorie deficit after you enter the exercise in the cardio section on the exercise tab.
  • knwollak
    Options
    I wish they had the P90X workouts in the database here so you could more accurately account for your exercise. Let me know if anyone figures it out. I'm still new and trying to figure out how to enter the exercises.
  • ami789
    Options
    I have to keep reminding myself of that...A guide.
    I think 18-1900 is good for me. I dont bonk on my workouts and I dont feel like a goodyear blimp. My worries were eating to little cals and then not losing any weight. But hopefully this works. It's taken me 23 days to figre this out.. Adjusting my intake etc.
    Maybe I should just take myself out of the level II completely.

Thanks for the good info everyone.
  • jewahdenny
    Options
    I would think you would lose more than that a week. I found that I did lose a fair amount of weight on P90X. Which verison are you doing? Best of luck with the X.
  • ami789
    Options
    I'm doing Classic and then will start doubles next week.
    Thanks.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Kwollak - most of the popular workouts (30 day shred, Insanity, etc.) are not in there. Everyone burns a different amount of calories - so it would be difficult to program it for it. I burn the highest during Kenpo (we did Lean last round, so no Plyo) and I was around 500 calories. The best thing to do it get a heart rate monitor that calculates calories burned.

Ami - it took me 90 days to figure it out, so don't feel bad. I've completed 2 rounds now, barely lost anything on my first round and lost over 20 lbs on my last round doing Lean. Keep in mind that if you are going to do doubles, you need to eat more. That 1800-1900 may not be enough. Do you have a teambeachbody.com account? They have a caloric needs calculator there that can help you decide what you need to eat. It's not perfect, but it's not too far off.
  • ami789
    Options
    Yes I do have a teambeach body account..they have me up 2700 cals.
    I plan to increase as needed once I start doubles. ;-)

Thanks

Hopefully I can figure this out. Who knew that eating would be so confusing.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I was doing the P90X program as well. My husband lost his job and we got off track but we are going to start up again the first of the year. I was just going to say that the food guide for P90X is just that a guide. It was way too much food for me so I would follow this site on your calories per day and stick with the exercise plan of P90X and you will lose the weight. I lost 5 lbs. in two weeks it really does work if you do it right. I'm excited to start back up again with the new year! :)

Why are you waiting till January to begin?
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hello

I just started my account. Have been doing The X for 23 days. I have heard good things about this site.

My question. I have adjusted my settings for phase 1..put my calories as 1900 ..Down from 2460 which is what was recommended out of the book.
    After making the changes, it says that I would be losing 0.2lbs a week.!!! I know that P90x is not a weight loss program but 0.2/lbs a week. I should be at 1lb/week right??
    I burn anywhere from 260-500 calories with the workouts.

Or should I just use this site as a good calorie tracking tool and just shut up and push play;-)

Thanks
    Ami

Stick to the nutrition plan and keep pushing play. Trust me, you will get your results.
  • skyhighdaz
    Options
    New to MFP and 1 week into P90x (with mods)

I'm trying to find an easy (read efficient) way to track well, not calories so much as P90X's blocks.
    As in Carb blocks, Protein blocks.
    I shouldn't use the word "easy" because I don't want easy in the workouts, but tracking intake,,,, I want easy!

I Like MFP's food tracker but has anyone found an efficient way to transform the grams of carbs and protein into
    P90X's blocks???
    Thanks,
    SkyHighDaz