Nervous to start exercising again

Options
Hi there MFP community. I'm new here!

If anyone has some tips or encouragement for me, I would appreciate it!

Background: I used to be very athletic. I ran a couple of half marathons, could run 4 miles in less than 30 min., and was generally very healthy. This was about 5-7 years ago.

Five years ago I had a series of unfortunate health problems that left me in the hospital for several weeks and too weak to do any exercising for about a year.

Over the past 4 years I've tried to start exercising again a few times but have never made it past a week or two. (Starting law school last year also didn't help because being very busy is a great excuse for never ever exercising).

I joke about it with my friends... I even brag that I never work out and eat pretty unhealthfully. I'm not overweight by any means, I'm actually skinnier than I was when I was really fit. But the joking and bragging is just an attempt to cover up the fact that I am incredibly unhealthy, weak, and have very little self confidence. I have very low energy and I have a hard time doing some normal activities like carrying around my heavy law books. I'm really ashamed at how weak and frail I've become.

Maybe it's because I used to get a lot of joy from running and exercising, but the fact that I now cannot even run 1/2 mile is really hard for me to handle. After repeated failed attempts to get in shape again, I have gotten to a place where I've put up a mental barrier against exercising and I can't seem to muster the courage to try again.

I made this account to try and work past the fear, shame, and embarrassment I have that are keeping me from being healthy. I know a lot of people here have dealt with much harder challenges than mine, so I know I will be inspired by your stories.

Have any other former athletes had to completely start over like this? Did you feel embarrassed by how far you had to go? How did you get yourself to stick to your new (adjusted) goals?

Replies

• nickpapagorgio
    Options
    Do you have access to a personal trainer. Some are real good and can help you stay on task. Slow & steady wins the race.
  • biancagetsfit94
    biancagetsfit94 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am not an athlete-- never have been. BUT I can suggest the C25k program. It is extremely helpful in training for a potential 5k. It is what jump started my passion for jogging.
  • LuzyLeon
    LuzyLeon Posts: 3
    Options
    nickpapgorgi- Thanks for your ideas! The personal trainer would probably be great, but unfortunately I can't afford it. I know slow and steady is the way to go. It sure is hard at first, though.

Biancagetsfit- I have thought about doing c25k. Maybe participating in the MFP community will motivate me to follow through. It feels irrational for me to be scared of trying it... what do I have to lose?
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I used to be very athletic. That was over a decade ago. More recently I came off of bedrest and had to rebuild muscle enough to stand for any length of time. I think the hugest hurdle is attitude and expectations. It is unreasonable to expect my body to do a fraction of the stuff it used to. Not that I won't be able to in the future, but presently what was formerly easy is still unrealistic for my present body. Start small. You will progress and there is no shame in it. I started with standing and walking around slowly. Then I started walking more. Now I'm working on c25k and strength training. Don't let your pride/fear/shame get in the way. You just gotta keep at it, and if your expectations aren't reasonable you won't keep doing it. You'll just set yourself up for failure.
    :drinker:
  • thomregan
    thomregan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think I've been in a position similar to yours. I got into crazy excellent shape (for me) to join the Army (running half marathon+ distances, biking everywhere, sub 30 4 mile, etc.), and when I got out, I backslid to being in WAY worse shape than before I had started training several years earlier.

My recommendation is to find a training plan and STICK TO IT. Last February I decided I wanted to run a half marathon in six months and then found a 24 week training plan. For me, the first three weeks were the hardest, and then I got acclimated to the workouts and addicted to the extra endorphins. https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-half-marathon-plan/ That's the plan I used, and I managed to finish a Half Marathon by August 25th of last year. My doctor pointed out that at 380 Lbs when I started that the plan may have been bad for my knees, but I had no ill effects or regrets.

Oh, and for me, I didn't tell anyone besides my significant other that I was trying to get back into shape, or that my goal was to run a half marathon. I remember reading an article somewhere (cracked, maybe?) that said something to the effect that the praise people give you for starting something difficult can satiate something in your brain that makes you less likely to actually go through with the goal. I don't know how accurate this is for everyone, but after having gone through a lot of false starts I found that it seemed true for me. YMMV.

Good luck, dude! Running again was one of the best things I ever did for myself, and I recommend it to everyone I meet, sometimes to an obnoxious degree.
  • LuzyLeon
    LuzyLeon Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Thomregan- It's amazing that you were able to stick to a 6 month 1/2 marathon plan starting from scratch (and carrying around a lot more weight)! That's certainly inspiring. And I think I actually saw something earlier today about not telling other people about your goals because of that false sense of accomplishment. That's so counter-intuitive, since people tend to think more accountability is better. Worth a shot, though, for sure.

Blue801- Yes, you understand (to a much greater extent) the havoc that bed rest can wreak on muscle tone. I felt like I had the muscles of an elderly woman! It's hard to know how to set realistic expectations... I think the C25K should be a good place to start :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am a former member of the Canadian Military and was always athletic when I was younger...

I used to be in fantastic shape...7 chinups easy...run easy...swim too easy etc.

Like you I got out of shape ...unlike you I got fat too...that was 20 years ago and I've done exactly what you did....attempted time and time again and each time I let something get in the way.

If you want to get in shape again and get healthy start with your diet (no personal trainner needed trust me).

If you don't want to gain weight eat your TDEE (google scooby TDEE) make sure you are getting your protien. Start some sort of resistence training 2-3x a week and start your cardio again. Either through C25k or another program. Eat food to fuel your workouts, have some treats too just make sure you are getting in enough food/protien/fats etc. be patient tho it doesn't happen over night...it will however happen quicker for you...

I can't do 7 chin ups yet...but I can do chinups...I am 41 years old and in as good of shape as I was while I was in the military in a different way...I am stronger, I am leaner I might not be a runner anymore (always hated that part) but put me up against any of them and I can keep up.

Imgaine you have 13 years on me...go get this.