Anorexia Recovery Trust Nutritionist or Cals?

Options
Hi everyone--
This is only place I knew to post this. Basically I have been reading that if you are recovering from anorexia the only way to repair your metabolism is eating a 2500 calorie diet and be sedentary or 3000 calorie if under 25 years old. I am 21, have had anorexia since I was 14 (but an ED since I was 6) and have been to countless treatment centers and nutritionists and never heard this. All of my meal plans have been based on exchanges not calories and I have never heard of a talk of 2500 or 3000 calorie minimums. I am just scared. My biggest fear is to gain back to a normal weight (I am currently 90 lbs and 5 ft 7.5 in up from my low of 85 lbs) and have to diet the rest of my life because my metabolism doesn't repair. From what I have read my metabolism won't repair if I eat below the 2500/3000 minimum. I would like to one day be able to maintain on 2000 calories.

So do I trust my nutritionist and the meal plan she gave me even though I am pretty sure its not 3000, maybe not even 2500 (she has told me it will increase and my weight gain plateaus) or do I stop seeing her and just do the calorie thing? I really like seeing her and we have been working together for three years...I am just finally listening to her and gaining weight. Also, I am not sedentary due to course requirements for my university so I have to take an activity class ( I do cycling 3 times a week)..

Thanks for reading and responding.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I really do not know what to suggest, Jess. Is she a dietician or a nutritionist as nutritionists do not have the same level of qualification.
    Generally, those in ED recovery are expected to gain 0.5-1kg a week, eating 1000 calories above their maintenance, and usually this is 2500-3000 calories, yes. Here is a paper you might be interested in, if you have the time to scan through it. Either way, you need to lose your fear of gain, as I have said many times, and focus on getting your body to a healthy place. You have to mentally reach a place where the scale ceases to matter, beyond as an indicator of whether you are getting where you need to be.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/files/pdfversion/cr130.pdf
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    E.A.T. you know, they talk about girls starving themselves & it's making them fat.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    E.A.T. you know, they talk about girls starving themselves & it's making them fat.

Huh?
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The method you're talking about is called MinnieMaud if you want to look into it more. Maybe you could bring it up to your nutritionist the next time you speak to her. I think it would be better if you had your nutritionist's guidance and assistance to start MM if that's what you want to do! Whatever method you go with, absolutely keep seeing your nutritionist!!
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you have a good relationship and trust your nutritionist, then do what she says will help. You've already made progress with her. If you have specific concerns, talk to her about them. She is a professional and judging from what you've said about your improvement seems to know what she's doing. Good luck! It's good to hear you're on the road to recovery :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I do not think that is really answering her question nor is it very helpful to someone in Jess's position.
  • GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Recovery can be complex, confusing, hard. If you don't feel like the nutritionist you're currently seeing is qualified, I highly encourage you to seek out a different medical professional to work with.

As for the eating regimen, I recommend you bring your questions and concerns to a doctor who specializes in ED recovery.

Best wishes to you in your healing <3<3<3
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I can't really advise you but do you already log your food? If not, do you feel like you can do that without getting obsessive and restricting? Maybe the fear of that happening is why they never gave you a calorie goal before.
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    It's going to be hard but they are trying to help you. Maybe ask them to explain why?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You need to realize that it'll take a tremendous amount of calories to not only recover weight but also repair the physiological damage experienced. So do not underestimate how much energy your body requires for this process to be successful. I'm a former personal trainer who has worked with a few recovering anorexics and their teams have told me that many girls (depending on age, height, absence of period, etc.) are on 2500 to 4000 calorie plans - minimum.
  • prochefonal
    Options
    I agree. Killed my thyroid by not eating......
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    I second pretty much what everyone says (except for that eat comment- that was just rude)!

Good luck Jess!
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and I meant dietitian not nutritionist. She is very qualified and works for my school. I mean I am gaining on my meal plan now. Here it is.

B-fast: 2 starches, 1 dairy, 1 fruit, 18g almonds (usually 100 cal instant oatmeal with 1/2 english muffin, 3 prunes, Activia light, almonds)
    Lunch: 3 starches, 3-4 oz protein, 1 cup veggie (steamed or 2 cup raw), 1 fruit, 1 dairy, 2 T sunflower seeds
    (usually 1/2 cup tuna on fat free tortilla with 1/2 cup peas, 2 cups raw slaw, pear, 1 cup milk, 2 T seeds)
    Dinner: 3 starches, 3-4 oz protein, 1 cup veggie (steamed or 2 cup raw), 2 T olives (usually fish, sweet potato, 1/2 cup peas, 2 cups spinach, olives)

Snack 1: 370 cal bagel and 30-45 cals spread
    Snack 2: Fruit, starch, and dairy
    Snack 3: Fruit and dairy
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Jess,

You're in treatment and you're working with a dietician that you like. Hang in there and listen to what she tells you. You've come a long way, just keep moving forward.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You should be getting advice from someone specifically trained in anorexia re-feeding. Not just any old nutritionist. The main thing, though, is you should not limit your food intake at all. A calorie target closer to 3000 is ideal. Higher would be better if you could manage it. Most of all, learn to love and nurture your body. Good luck. And remember recovery is difficult, confronting, terrifying and overwhelming. But you can do it.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    If that meal plan is from your dietician, it looks like it could be pretty flexible and actually add up to a good amount of calories. I'd recommend asking your dietician about the calorie range she's aiming for; it's entirely possible she wants you to work your way up to eating 3000 calories a day, but just hasn't mentioned it to you yet (maybe she thinks you'd worry about that number, thinking it's too high.) If she knows that you're totally ready to eat the calories you need she might speed things up, or at least explain the plan more to you.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think part of anorexia recovery is learning to trust and let go of your need to control what you eat. I could be wrong, but IMO, following what your nutritionist plans for you seems like the best road to recovery. Talk to her about your options though and the plans you've heard about, let her know you might be interested and talk about why the plan might or might not work for you.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Jess,

You're in treatment and you're working with a dietician that you like. Hang in there and listen to what she tells you. You've come a long way, just keep moving forward.

:drinker:
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    I really suggest you visit www.youreatopia.com

There are articles (upon articles upon articles) all based on proven scientific research about the effectiveness of the MinnieMaud (aka eating 2500-3000 calories a day) method. And I think it answers just about every question about every process you could ever think of! Plus, there's a forum for support, questions, inspiration, real life success stories.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and I meant dietitian not nutritionist. She is very qualified and works for my school. I mean I am gaining on my meal plan now. Here it is.

B-fast: 2 starches, 1 dairy, 1 fruit, 18g almonds (usually 100 cal instant oatmeal with 1/2 english muffin, 3 prunes, Activia light, almonds)
    Lunch: 3 starches, 3-4 oz protein, 1 cup veggie (steamed or 2 cup raw), 1 fruit, 1 dairy, 2 T sunflower seeds
    (usually 1/2 cup tuna on fat free tortilla with 1/2 cup peas, 2 cups raw slaw, pear, 1 cup milk, 2 T seeds)
    Dinner: 3 starches, 3-4 oz protein, 1 cup veggie (steamed or 2 cup raw), 2 T olives (usually fish, sweet potato, 1/2 cup peas, 2 cups spinach, olives)

Snack 1: 370 cal bagel and 30-45 cals spread
    Snack 2: Fruit, starch, and dairy
    Snack 3: Fruit and dairy

This sounds like an overall good plan.

If you are concerned it is not enough calories just ask the dietitian next time you see her.