Grocery shop fail

Options
meg_balh
meg_balh Posts: 37 Member
Do you guys have anything that you end up buying at the grocery store and always end up throwing it out?? Mine is kale! I always buy it, and then don't know what to do with it so I end up throwing it out :(

Replies

• LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Take kale, cut into bite sized pieces, put 0.5-1tbsp of oil on the whole head of kale, put on a baking dish and bake until cripsy AAAAHHHHHMAZING. It stops being bitter when you make kale chips :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    About how long does it take to get crispy and at what temperature?
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    haha, I forgot the important parts.

350º about 15-20 min if you have a single layer, my pan wasn't big enough so I had a double layer, so I had to stir mid way through so it took about 20-30 stirring after 15.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes... it never fails. They always end up in the trash. I like the way they taste, too!
  • meg_balh
    meg_balh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take kale, cut into bite sized pieces, put 0.5-1tbsp of oil on the whole head of kale, put on a baking dish and bake until cripsy AAAAHHHHHMAZING. It stops being bitter when you make kale chips :)

That's an awesome idea! I'm going to try it out this week :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I always cut raw kale up into my salads.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually either canned goods or certain spices/sauces. I have a cabinet full of barely touched spices/sauces due to experimenting and only using them for 1 recipe.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Actually, this happens to me with a lot of things unfortunately. It's mostly because I live alone. There are weeks when I can get through all the fresh stuff I've purchased, no problem. But then there are weeks where I for some reason had no desire to eat any of it it, so it inevitably goes bad & I have to throw it all out. It's the worst.

I would say my two 'most thrown out' are milk & bread. Which is kind of crazy since those are such staple foods. But I only drink milk with cereal, & I only eat bread if I make tuna salad or eat toast for breakfast. I'm someone who gets hooked on foods & eats them for weeks on end. I used to eat cereal every single day for breakfast & could easily get through a half-gallon of milk before it went bad, but then I switched to a banana & PB2 & it took me weeks to realize I kept buying milk that I no longer needed because I was no longer using it in my cereal, & that's why I kept having to throw it away! Ugh!

EDIT to say: WINE. It makes me so sad because I lovelovelove wine, but I only have like one glass of wine every few days at most. Wine goes bad pretty quickly, & since I live alone there's no one around to drink it up when I don't! :[ I've finally found a wine I love that comes in the baby bottles, so that's what I think I'll have to start doing from now on.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Juice it.

Cut it up and mix it through spagetti noodles with garlic and olive oil :)
  • judi25g
    judi25g Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried the sweet potato fries recipe from women's health magazine. Delicious! And I finally stopped throwing them out!
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Chopped kale makes for great hearty soups and stews when added to main recipe. This is really low cal.

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/a-big-soup/1783

I shop online having planned my meals for the week so don't honestly waste much, I guess cuccumber often dies before I finish a whole or even half one!
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    I tried the sweet potato fries recipe from women's health magazine. Delicious! And I finally stopped throwing them out!

I love these!! I actually love all things sweet potato though.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options

surely you meant to say 'take kale, cut into bite sized pieces, put 0.5-1tbsp of oil on the whole head of kale, put on a baking dish and bake until completely incinerated, then throw in the bin and go get some brocolli stead?' lol

I buy kale all the time and throw it away. When i do ccok it, using a million ways to make it taste lovely, i still hate it.
    Kale 1 / Me 0
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Just made this soup for lunches: chicken broth, ham, kale, potatoes (adjust amounts for your taste). Cook on low in the crock pot for 8ish hours. You can add other vegetables if you want.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

surely you meant to say 'take kale, cut into bite sized pieces, put 0.5-1tbsp of oil on the whole head of kale, put on a baking dish and bake until completely incinerated, then throw in the bin and go get some brocolli stead?' lol

I buy kale all the time and throw it away. When i do ccok it, using a million ways to make it taste lovely, i still hate it.
    Kale 1 / Me 0
    Yeh, take kale, put it right back on the shelf where you shouldn't have picked it up from in the first place and go get something tasty that you like. Saves money.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Kale 1 / Me 0
    Yeh, take kale, put it right back on the shelf where you shouldn't have picked it up from in the first place and go get something tasty that you like. Saves money.

Yeah. I just don't get why people buy things they don't like!

For me it varies; I tend to buy things I like that have a long shelf life in bulk when they are on offer, then eat it for a while, then get bored or find something else. At the moment I have babybels and greek yogurts going to waste in the fridge.
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. Without fail. I have some issues with lactose so got out of the habit of drinking milk for years. So when I do buy it I feel like I need to save it for a special occasion or something. Because I'm insane.
    So I have a glass or two, then it's suddenly two weeks later and it's smelling weird and separating.
    I started buying even smaller cartons but it still happens.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Kale 1 / Me 0

walk by kale.

buy zuccini instead.

sautee in butter or bacon lard with some S/P and garlic salt.

Revel in the deliciousness that is real veggies instead of bitter rabbit food.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    We usually end up tossing at least half of the (dairy) milk if we buy a half gallon. We just don't drink it much and use it mainly for morning coffee or cooking, so we tend to get the littlest jug (quart? I'm not sure). Sometimes though, I DO remember it's there and use it (diluted) to soak steel cut oats, yum.

We go through most our produce pretty quickly but sometimes if my husband and I go out of town for a couple of days there will be forgotten, now-yucky lettuce, green onion, and bell pepper in the crisper.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pretty well at the moment but for a while there it seemed like I was throwing away a lot of pork chops. I'd put them in the fridge to thaw, kind of forget about them and then by the time I went to cook them, they looked or smelled funny so I didn't dare eat them. Thankfully it's only $6 max (only buy on sale) but still, that adds up over time!