Motivation- Gym especially

Options
Hey everyone!

I have a hard time staying motivated in losing weight. Like I have tried many times, some lasting more than others.. But then I go back to being lazy and eating whatever I want.

I know that no one can give me motivation and that I have to find it myself... So my question is: How do you find the motivation to keep going?

Also, does anyone else feel super self conscious to go to the gym? I have a membership through my college and I feel embarrassed to go workout at the gym where so many other people my age, especially ones who make fun of people my size, work out. So how to I avoid that or find the courage to go anyways?

Replies

• hollyyy92
    hollyyy92 Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes I used to feel very self conscious in a place which I thought was only for 'fit people'. Once you've gone a few times and especially after you've started seeing some progress even a couple of pounds you won't give a care in the world. I find buying new fitness clothes is a great motivator, and also don't worry about the other people.. what weirdo stares at someone in the gym haha x
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Some people will probably not agree with me but sometimes when I don't have the motivation (initially) I just go and do it. Don't even ask yourself if you have another choice. When I wake up, I don't think about whether I'm going to go to the gym, it's just something I have to do as a part of my day. Then the motivation came when more when I started seeing results, which is when I really really started to lift heavy and eat better.

Otherwise you could always think about how working towards your goal is only making you closer not farther from your goal no matter how slow or small the change.

Another trick I use sometimes is change into my gym clothes as soon as I wake up. Also make sure I have good music and Arnold's motivational speech that I listen to in the car before I workout on tough days.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I also have a membership through my college, and I used to find that being surrounded by my peers made me incredibly insecure! But then one day, as I was working out, I realized no one ever paid attention to me. Seriously, I doubt anyone will pay you mind! And now, being surrounded by others who want to get healthy and in shape actually motivates me to go! Good luck with it and remember that you notice yourself more than people at the gym.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    The mistake is waiting for motivation. You just need to act. Some days you will be motivated. Other days you won't be motivated. You need to keep acting in accordance with your goals regardless of how motivated you feel. Obviously it's harder to do things when you are unmotivated, but you just need to do them anyway.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The thing is, it's not about motivation. Motivation will always fail. It's about determination....doing it no matter how you feel.

I told a coworker one day that I was tired. Later I was talking about going to the gym. She asked me why I was still going to the gym if I was so tired? I told her if I skipped the gym every time I was tired, I'd never go. It simply wasn't a good enough reason not to go...well, usually.
  • amberxy
    amberxy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Pretend you own the gym - all those others are just visiting! Walk into the gym with your head held high, do your thing and forget everyone else.

As for motivation, I've found journaling to be a great tool for managing this (as well as my anxiety/depression). I make lists of how I feel when I don't do something, then how I feel when I do it. So, if you don't feel like going to the gym, write about how you'll feel if you don't go (maybe sluggish, defeated, etc) then write how you'll feel after it's done (successful, more energy, etc). Keep this handy as a quick reference when you feel the "I can't be bothered..." coming on.

Good luck, now get out there :)
  • Leeannepapas
    Options
    Great advice ????
  • RBhyan
    RBhyan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would say Set Yourself a Goal & then keep self-motivating yourself to Achieve It , 2ndly u can search good friends on MFP & Bodyspace for Gym & when you monitor their activities and see how hard they are trying you will get a Push yourself. ..Personally for me I can Work as hard as you can imagine in start / when needed but my problem is I am not able to maintain that or you can say not regular in anything , so I feel that keeping myself Regular for Gym will improve me in other stuff also & motivates me not to skip my Workouts....As for the question of people staring at you in Gym it's a myth bcoz the only people who get attention from others in a Gym are those with Real Hot bodies :wink:
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've given up on things that I thought were important to me because I was simply not motivated and I hated doing them. Eventually you always lose out and give up things you hate doing.

We build habits slowly. If you greatly lack motivation you will likely give up. That doesn't mean I want you to give up but it means you should find a different (slower more gradual) way to build the habits you need to achieve your goals.

Having said that, maybe you should try losing the weight without the gym. It's not essential at all in my opinion. Eating at a calorie deficit will get your weight to where it should be 10 out of 10 times.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Some people will probably not agree with me but sometimes when I don't have the motivation (initially) I just go and do it. Don't even ask yourself if you have another choice. When I wake up, I don't think about whether I'm going to go to the gym, it's just something I have to do as a part of my day. Then the motivation came when more when I started seeing results, which is when I really really started to lift heavy and eat better.

Otherwise you could always think about how working towards your goal is only making you closer not farther from your goal no matter how slow or small the change.

Another trick I use sometimes is change into my gym clothes as soon as I wake up. Also make sure I have good music and Arnold's motivational speech that I listen to in the car before I workout on tough days.

I agree with you.

It's like I didn't have a choice...

But that is required when you are doing something you hate.

I don't hate what I am doing now. I love it.

That's sometimes the key too...finding what you love to do.

Maybe it's walking, or Wii just dance (I love that) or you love biking...find something you love.

As for the weight...I want it bad enough and I like having new cloths, cute little things and at 205 I can't wear cute little things.

I don't personally believe exercise ever becomes a habit...addiction maybe but never a habit. "exercise" is not easy...it's hard, it hurts and it makes you sweat.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I have a hard time staying motivated in losing weight. Like I have tried many times, some lasting more than others.. But then I go back to being lazy and eating whatever I want.

I know that no one can give me motivation and that I have to find it myself... So my question is: How do you find the motivation to keep going?

Also, does anyone else feel super self conscious to go to the gym? I have a membership through my college and I feel embarrassed to go workout at the gym where so many other people my age, especially ones who make fun of people my size, work out. So how to I avoid that or find the courage to go anyways?

Most of us have been there at some point - we know we want to/have to make a change but it's all a little overwhelming and the little voice in the back of your head starts saying 'you know you're going to give up, why even start...' and other such crap.

While it's true you must find motivation and determination from within yourself, there are some tools that can help.

Develop a routine. It may be difficult to stick to in the beginning but push through that and soon enough it will form a habit.
    Think about why you want to make this change. Is it for health reasons, for your kids, or just plain vanity? It doesn't matter, just write it down and keep it handy.
    If you can, find someone else you can latch on to, maybe a PT, or a friend who is looking to make a change also.
    Set yourself small, measurable goals. It is ok to have long term goal weight and body etc, but that wont keep you going in the near term. eg Pick a number of gym sessions per week to get to or a calorie goal to stick to... then, if it helps, give yourself a (non-food) reward.
    Take photos and measurements. If you stick a current pic up somewhere like a mirror the desire to change will stare straight back at you when motivation is wearing thin. This will also give you a great point of reference to see how much progress you make. This is much more reliable than the scale!

Believe it or not, after a while the results will be reward enough! There will be times that you want to give up. You will fall off the wagon, and that's ok. It's about learning what you should do, and getting the right support and systems in place for the long term. Then there is no doubt whether you can succeed.

Also, with respect to the gym, just get in there! If you are able, ask (or hire) someone for an hour to show you around and make sure you are comfortable with the equipment and set up a basic program for you to start with. Most people I know have never made fun of anyone in the gym. The fact that you are there is proof enough for me that you are trying to get fitter and healthier - what about that can be ridiculed?!?
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i found a secret way to deal with people that judge. its called "not giving a crap"

these people dont form part of your daily life so why give a rats *kitten* what they say and think.
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you right now. I was meeting someone at the gym every day after work and that was what kept me going. Once she moved I fell right off the wagon and it was so easy to just not go. This time around I'm trying to look at going to the gym more of a job. After I'm done with my first job I have to go to my second job. I just have it to do. Right now I'm aiming to go Monday-Thursday in hopes that knowing I have a "short day" on Friday will keep me going. I also started going to some classes at the gym. I try to go early and walk on the treadmill/elliptical before class to get in some extra time. Going to classes helps me with the having to go since they notice when I'm not there.
  • apeydawn423
    apeydawn423 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    On motivation you are correct, only you can motivate yourself, you have to dig deep and hold yourself accountable. As for the gym, let them watch you change your life and maybe someone will be watching and you might just help them change their life as well!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Easiest answer is.....you just go. If you think there are a**holes that are making fun, put in your headphones, stay on the treadmill and do your stuff. YOu can't hear them. Also, I act like the gym is my own personal place. I don't ask questions. I inform myself on the machines adn watch if I'm confused. I take dumbbells from the rack and find a corner and then put them back. If I need to stretch I find another corner with space and do it there.

However, there is another alternative. Work out at home. The internet has MILLIONS of free, full-lenght workout videos on You tube.

It takes me only a couple of days to get that energy boost. But it takes me about 8 weeks to really start feeling the strengh and stamina building up. Then after 3 month, when I'm not looking, I realize I'm doing a crapload of push ups and I'm actually jogging instead of walking.

It happens but you have to want it. If you don't want it, really want it, it will never happen. Trust me. I'm in recovery three years. If I can stay off drugs and alcohol one day at a time, you can go to the gym and eat better. We all can do it.

DO IT BABY!!!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Make yourself do it. People judge you whether you're working out or not, so you may as well take advantage of the gym. It's the human way.

As someone who does not go to the gym, let me say that you do not have to use one to work out. If you're really that self-conscious, do exercises to youtube videos, use smartphone aps, or just use the great outdoors (run, bike, walk). At least that's an option until you get some confidence.
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The mistake is waiting for motivation. You just need to act. Some days you will be motivated. Other days you won't be motivated. You need to keep acting in accordance with your goals regardless of how motivated you feel. Obviously it's harder to do things when you are unmotivated, but you just need to do them anyway.

Defiantly this ! I couldn't agree more thats what keeps me going as well.... I was very unmotivated as an example yesterday but I refused to give into temptation and once I got going I as just fine
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Easiest answer is.....you just go. If you think there are a**holes that are making fun, put in your headphones, stay on the treadmill and do your stuff. YOu can't hear them. Also, I act like the gym is my own personal place. I don't ask questions. I inform myself on the machines adn watch if I'm confused. I take dumbbells from the rack and find a corner and then put them back. If I need to stretch I find another corner with space and do it there.

However, there is another alternative. Work out at home. The internet has MILLIONS of free, full-lenght workout videos on You tube.

It takes me only a couple of days to get that energy boost. But it takes me about 8 weeks to really start feeling the strengh and stamina building up. Then after 3 month, when I'm not looking, I realize I'm doing a crapload of push ups and I'm actually jogging instead of walking.

It happens but you have to want it. If you don't want it, really want it, it will never happen. Trust me. I'm in recovery three years. If I can stay off drugs and alcohol one day at a time, you can go to the gym and eat better. We all can do it.

DO IT BABY!!!!!

^^This.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well I just make it a part of my life, so there's no option but to do it, just like getting up everyday feeding my kids, taking them to school etc etc