What do you eat when your sick?

Options
Gameofthrone
Gameofthrone Posts: 1,522 Member
Besides the norm; chicken noodle soup, ginger ale, crackers, garlic, etc?

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't have much apetite when I'm sick, but I eat mainly soups. Sometimes I make juice from Orange, lemon, apple, carrot and ginger. Its great, and it always makes me feel better.
  • Deathlylooks
    Options
    depends what kind of sick, I was told to avoid overly fatty foods, go for soup and wholegrains, oh and for some reason rice?

xxx
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Depends on what type of sick. If I'm vomiting for example, I don't force myself to eat at all, knowing that it's temporary and that I'm not going to do myself any damage by fasting for a day or two or three. If it's "just a cold" (which I put in quotes because "just" a cold can be pretty brutal sometimes!!) I try to do soups, whole grains, etc like Deathylooks said. If it's a GI bug I will try my best to incorporate foods from the BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Apples/Applesauce and Toast) because those foods are supposed to help bind up loose stool and get your gut back on track. So yeah, it really depends on what kind of sickness you're dealing with.
  • Gameofthrone
    Gameofthrone Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    It feels like a cold leading up to a sinus infection. Sore throat, an overload of phlegm & frontal headache. Thanks for the advice so far =)
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    when I'm in bed and I can't get up I can't eat at all but when I have a sinus infection I eat just fine :)
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    green smoothies!!

avoid sugary fruits for the most part... add in cucumber and frozen banana, plus baby kale. both healthy and gentle for the tummy.

I also just learned about turmeric and how healing it is. I was sick the last few days, so I combined almond milk, turmeric powder (1tsp) and ginger powder (1/2tsp). Fresh ginger would be delicious too... but mix 'em up and heat until warm. Really satisfying to drink when you aren't feeling well.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    If I have cold/flu I make this: http://www.theppk.com/2011/10/mushroom-hot-pot/
    And I load it up with garlic and chilli and heaps of vegies. So easy, yummy, comforting and filling. If I have a sore throat I do the ol' honey/lemon/garlic/booze thing too.

If I am tummy sick I stick with simple things like toast or vegies.

To be honest I rarely get sick though... I have only had a flu twice in the past 4 years, and they were both in the space of one month. Other than that I do okay, touch wood!!

If you're prone to colds and flu, consider taking olive leaf extract. It's a great immunity booster. It's preventative though, not cure. Also wash your hands after touching communal things- I work in an office so if I touch a door handle, fridge, microwave, money, etc I wash my hands afterwards. I also have my own crockery/cutlery instead of using the communal stuff. And I don't use the teatowel (I have seen people drop it on the floor or wipe things off their chair with it). Everyone thinks I'm a bit nuts but hey, it works. And people are gross. I know for a fact that some here don't wash their hands after using the toilet. Ugh.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    soup and a lot of vitamin C
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It feels like a cold leading up to a sinus infection. Sore throat, an overload of phlegm & frontal headache. Thanks for the advice so far =)

I typically eat anything that I can hold down and that my body tells me it wants when I'm sick. Focus on healing and then get back on track when feeling better.

Super hot Epsom salt baths just before going to sleep to clear sinuses and relieve body aches. Possibly Nettie Pot if you can stand to do it. Sleep on your back if possible to allow better drainage and easier breathing. Humidifier will soften phlegm. Cool moist rag to drape over eyes to relieve headaches in the eyes. Keep water by the bed and stay hydrated so that your body can do what it needs to...

Just my $0.02. Get better soon!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    The bath idea is a good one! If I have blocked sinuses I sprinkle a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the shower before I get in. It's nice. Just don't slip on the oil!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Besides the norm; chicken noodle soup, ginger ale, crackers, garlic, etc?

Tons of fresh steamed kale. Per the Mayo Clinic, steamed kale is good for the immune system (has to be steamed, not boiled). I started to get a virus this past year, ate loads of kale morning, noon, and night, and threw the virus off in 24 hours versus my coworkers who had it for 2 weeks.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing. I never seem to lose my appetite. I try to drink more tea and orange juice sometimes.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of sick; the one thing that is consistent is that weight loss/fitness is secondary during these times... I focus on my body healing then.... After that, I'll get back into fitness mode; that being said, often my calorie count may be down for a while simply because I don't feel well. Thankfully, I am not a sickly person so it is pretty rare
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how sick I am.
  • maria_stafeler
    Options
    Actually I dont eat. Just having fruits
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Garlic, honey, and Lemon. YUCK but clears things up fast...I don't really eat food when I'm sick. I want my body to concentrate on healing not digesting. If I get hungry I'll have broth.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    medium hot Indian curry, usually chicken rogan josh... lots of water and fresh lemon or orange ... if its a virus or cold/flu.

if im sick, vomitting.. water and toast with marmalade
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    depending how sick I am its a normally one of these three - soup, toast with butter or toast with butter and a banana if im not completely dying lol
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    try a smoothie
    yogurt
    frozen yogurt
    soup of any kind

I wouldn't worry too much about cals - you probably will be eating minimal amounts since you aren't feeling well
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options

AVOID dairy! It will cause extra phlegm and will make you even more miserable than you already are. I get this combination of symptoms a couple times a year. My "go to" foods/drinks are: Progresso Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup (a couple cans a day), Minute Maid Low Acid Orange Juice (1 64-oz carton per day), and lots of water (the usual 8 cups or more, per day). It usually knocks it out in 2 or 3 days. For the headache, I take Excedrin Migraine. If it's really bad, I'll drink a Dr Pepper or Mtn Dew Code Red with it. The caffeine helps the blood vessels open up and the medicine take effect faster.

Feel better soon!