Fed up with "advice" from non-MFP members

Maggie1960
Maggie1960 Posts: 322
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I am doing well so far, logging all my food, taking exercise and the weight is slowly but surely coming off.
Yet today I was given this *ahem* diet by a friend which will guarantee me rapid weightloss in 6 weeks with no need for any longterm healthy eating afterwards. He reckons he lost 2 stone (28lbs) and kept it all off afterwards.

Breakfast - Yazoo milkshake
Lunch - cup of soup
Dinner - Ham/Chicken sandwich
No snacks, fizzy drinks, or sweets, and drinking, mainly, water.

I am astonished and completely baffled as to how to respond to this dietary advice!:noway:

Replies

• kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Honestly? I would smile, thank him for the advice, wish him luck on his journey and leave it at that. It does not sound like very good dieting advice and he will probably grow bored with it in a few weeks. Then, when you are rocking your new skinny clothes you can feel great knowing your loss is going to last!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    I've lost 4 pounds since I've been here but 15 total since I started. I had a friend do a "juice" diet and she lost 12 pounds in a week. I told her she was INSANE. Well, of course those 12 are back and brought 8 of their friends. I just say "thank you". and keep doing what I am doing.
  • Agreed with kennedar and hambitsgirl - just smile nicely and say thank you. Starvation is never a good means of losing weight! Keep doing what you're doing!
  • I am doing well so far, logging all my food, taking exercise and the weight is slowly but surely coming off.
    Yet today I was given this *ahem* diet by a friend which will guarantee me rapid weightloss in 6 weeks with no need for any longterm healthy eating afterwards. He reckons he lost 2 stone (28lbs) and kept it all off afterwards.

Lunch - cup of soup

I am astonished and completely baffled as to how to respond to this dietary advice!:noway:

You can do one of 2 things .... Ignore him completely, and smile sweetly as you walk away ....... OR .... You could tell him "No, thanks. I'm using MyFitnessPal.com, and I'm learning how to change my life and the way I look at food 1 day at a time. I have wonderful friends there who have similar goals, and I really think I've made an excellent choice for this life change. I may lose a little slower than using a fad diet, but I know that when I get to my goal weight .... There'll be NO looking back!!"
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    I hear you, ever one and their mother has something that works special. Only one thing that truely works, at least for me. Record every thing. that way it helps you focus on what you need to do and how to eat better.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    Losing weight and getting healthy are two different things. I'd start using the phrase getting healthy vs. losing weight when describing your mentality. It'll stop people from advising diets like this. :)
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Yes those loose too fast also gain back faster....We know what we are talking about because we have learned how to eat and are much more healthy for it.....Say thank you, take it and tear it up when no one is looking.
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Agreed with everyone. If you want to loose the weight permanently, you have to change some habits and the new habits need to be something you can sustain, otherwise, you're back to square one and more.

So yes, you can loose weight very quickly.. first you hurt your body and metabolism as it's going to go in starvation and good luck if you eat anything just normal.

So I am with the others, and slow and consistent is a much better way to get you where you want to be and STAY there... so I would do the same and say "thanks but no thanks."
  • I hear things like this all day. I smile and say good for you. I just ignore it. I believe we are all doing it right on here. I'm almost afraid to lose too much too fast so, I never share any info. Rapid loss means rapid gain back. We are all doing it the right way........
  • What I find interesting is how many other diet plans advertise on the MFP site! They must not know how devoted we all are to this sensible, supportive, FREE way to permanently take weight off and keep it off!
  • Eurgh what a fool! I would just smile politely and ignore him. xxx
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    I would be sooo hungry and cranky lol
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    That's probably about 800 calories, that's why he's losing weight. A ham or chicken sandwich can't be more than about 200-300 calories depending on what you put on it. Soup is very low calorie, like 100-200 calories, the shake I'm not sure, probably no more than 300 or 400. Don't listen.

Like everyone said, just smile & say thank you. :happy:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I am doing well so far, logging all my food, taking exercise and the weight is slowly but surely coming off.

Lunch - cup of soup

You would be starving on that and I am not surprised at his weightloss if he has indeed been doing that everyday.

Don't respond to that advice in any way, that diet sounds completely wacko
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I am a police officer, and there is one particular sergeant on second shift that claims to know all there is to know about diet and exercise...he tries to tell me all the time that I am wrong and that I should be doing what he is doing...

And I might believe him if he didn't always eat fast food and weigh over 250 pounds.

Just ignore the ignorance. They just don't like the fact that we are losing weight in a healthy manner and know what we are talking about. Some people just have to be an expert on everything, when in fact they are ignorant of the truth (and oftentimes on purpose cause we are here to help them!)
  • I wonder how big that bowl of soup and milkshake have to be in order not to breakdown and eat some snacks... and you gotta really love milkshakes and soup (sarcastic smirk inserted here)
  • gambitsgurl
    My new husband was a professional soccer player. I've just NOW gotten him to shut up on the advice. His metabolism is insane due to years of exercise. I can't DO what he does and lose lol
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I am a police officer, and there is one particular sergeant on second shift that claims to know all there is to know about diet and exercise...he tries to tell me all the time that I am wrong and that I should be doing what he is doing...

And I might believe him if he didn't always eat fast food and weigh over 250 pounds.

Just ignore the ignorance. They just don't like the fact that we are losing weight in a healthy manner and know what we are talking about. Some people just have to be an expert on everything, when in fact they are ignorant of the truth (and oftentimes on purpose cause we are here to help them!)

For some of us 250 is our GOAL!:grumble:

Anyway, I have a co-worker exactly like this. Always has weight loss advise, but washes down her BP medicine every morning with McDonalds.
  • gambitsgurl
    O_O

now I want a mikshake

:D
  • I am a police officer, and there is one particular sergeant on second shift that claims to know all there is to know about diet and exercise...he tries to tell me all the time that I am wrong and that I should be doing what he is doing...

For some of us 250 is our GOAL!:grumble:

Anyway, I have a co-worker exactly like this. Always has weight loss advise, but washes down her BP medicine every morning with McDonalds.

I was going to say I started off not far over 250 and am only down to 229lbs now....yet I can give good advice on food... I don't think weight is the problem it's diet choices xxx
This discussion has been closed.