Veggie / vegan protein powders UK

Options
Well im looking a good protein powder that's not full of sugar and junk that is suitable for veggies and preferably vegan.
I have basically just went onto eBay and searched found a few and now im confused lol. Have any of you used the pea or hemp versions? What are they like ? I have looked at sun warrior which is raw vegan and is supposed to taste nice too but cant seem to find a breakdown of what's in it. It also seems to be double the price compared to others which kinda makes me think are the others full of junk or is it just way over priced?
Help much appreciated
Thanks !!

Replies

• liftsforchocolate
    Options
    I've tried a lot of vegan proteins and non vegan ones,

I didn't like the sunwarrior or vega chocolate flavors, but the vega vanilla is one of my favorites. The garden of life chai spice, and chocolate are good too. I can't remember if spirutein is vegan, but they have some really amazing flavors like cookies n cream, cappuccino, and peaches n cream, which I thought tastes really good!

A lot of them are overpriced, but you're also getting quality ingredients over the stuff with fake sugars, processed whey. I still use whey as well but I prefer the vega vanilla over any other vanilla I've tried. The ones to look out for would be the ones with soy (not bad, but probably not ideal for everyday)

I tried chocolate pea protein in almond milk and thought it was pretty good, but still have yet to try a flavored hemp protein. I do have plain bob's red milk hemp protein that I mix in with the other protein or in smoothies, homemade protein bars.

Also, I have a couple of vega flavors still left to try out, which I will review if you're interested, I can update you. I've reviewed a lot of vegan protein bars (and non vegan) on the thread listed on my profile.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Thank's for getting back to me.
    I just found that Vega brand and il go look for those others now :) I'm not vegan atm so open to trying others but thought I may as well plan ahead as its my final goal :) What did you think of the other sun warrior flavours? Also how much use would you get from a 1kg bag?
    I don't mind paying the extra I just don't want to buy something full of sugar and stuff to bulk up the powder.
    Ahhh im so excited haha I think im guna OD on protein when I get this stuff iv looked up so many smoothie/shakes/baking ideas lol
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/protein-shakes/natural-protein

Pm if you want a discount code for some money off your first order (or you get something else free I can't remember)
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The ones I use are Vega One in Berry, and Sunwarrior in vanilla. I don't like the chocolate or any of the other flavours. I use a mixture of Sunwarrior vanilla and cacao to create a divine raw vegan chocolate shake. The sunwarrior tastes great in a fruit smoothie too, as does the Vega One.

I find that the Vega One is more pricey per serving, and I personally prefer the Sunwarrior.

I've also tried hemp protein, and pea protein. I guess it depends what you want to do with it. Hemp protein mixes well into recipes, so for instance I put it into a vegan chocolate torte to increase the protein content. But I don't like straight hemp or pea protein in smoothies or shakes because the texture and the taste aren't good IMO.

If you want something to add to a smoothie, or just make up into a shake then go with a more expensive brand like Vega or Sunwarrior. If you want to make it disappear into cooking then the cheap hemp or pea is fine.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks for the info Hendrix7 and MyRummyHens. Guess im going to be doing a lot of experimenting in the next few weeks with this stuff lol.
    I think it will be mostly going in smoothies for early mornings after a run but want to bake a lot of stuff too seen so many recipes !
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Thank's for getting back to me.
    I just found that Vega brand and il go look for those others now :) I'm not vegan atm so open to trying others but thought I may as well plan ahead as its my final goal :) What did you think of the other sun warrior flavours? Also how much use would you get from a 1kg bag?
    I don't mind paying the extra I just don't want to buy something full of sugar and stuff to bulk up the powder.
    Ahhh im so excited haha I think im guna OD on protein when I get this stuff iv looked up so many smoothie/shakes/baking ideas lol

Haha, I did the same thing when I first started but went crazy with the wrong kinds of protein. I think 1kg, has 23 servings in it. I usually use max of 1.5 scoops per day.

I haven't tried the other sunwarrior flavors, I am too scared too! Maybe if its on sale I might pick up the vanilla but I just love the vega so much! If I discover a better tasting protein, I will let you know :)