Can I have too much protein at one time?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I just made a fantastic protein shake for breakfast that has 64g of protein! Is this too much at one time? I thought I read once that your body can only absorb so much protein and the rest is stored as fat? Is this true?

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are referring to. Is 64 g of protein at one time too much to utilize for muscle anabolism...yes. Is it too much for your body to absorb...absolutely not. Check out the video from Lane Norton. He has a PhD in muscle metabolism and really know his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ

Allan
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    So if I consume that much after a lifting session, then it's too much? I don't want it to be stored as fat!:noway:
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, to answer your question(s), 64 is a bit high. Just a wee bit. Science tell us that our bodies can properly metabolize 30 - 50 gr every two hours. That is a large gap (30-50). There are many factors that are fitting into to this scale.

Will it be stored as fat? Yes and no. Again, factors. What type of protein, what type of body composition, following what type of activity, etc. On the low end, 14 gr is nothing to overly worry about. On the high end, it could be stored.

I've been lifting weights for nearly 20 years. I've been eating 6 meals per day and I rarely, if ever eat over 40 gr of protein per meal. I don't worry about the storage of fats as my BF is quite low, I worry about the waste. No different with carbs and fats.

This is only a thought, but I would be more concerned about the wasted macros versus the transition to fat. You are lifting weights (well done!) and are tracking your macros. As long as you are spreading those throughout the day, then all will be well.

One last thought. I am having a friend here who refused to follow the smaller meals and eats 3 meals per day. We are being about the same age and size (not gorillas, but close) :) My physician is a sports medicine expert who also treats the German winter athletes here. My friend recently visited him and learned his liver is not well and his cholesterol is high. He is also eating more red meat then I do. My physician urged him to be changing his meals where the macros were more spread out during the day. After four weeks, his cholesterol dropped and his liver is showing signs of repair.

Sorry for the long paragraph. I was just wanting to show how eating too much at one time can do damage.

Best of luck in your weight lifting and being more fit!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info Hondo_man!
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    One last thought. I am having a friend here who refused to follow the smaller meals and eats 3 meals per day. We are being about the same age and size (not gorillas, but close) :) My physician is a sports medicine expert who also treats the German winter athletes here. My friend recently visited him and learned his liver is not well and his cholesterol is high. He is also eating more red meat then I do. My physician urged him to be changing his meals where the macros were more spread out during the day. After four weeks, his cholesterol dropped and his liver is showing signs of repair.

[Citation Required]
    Really, I'm actually interested in reading something that supports this.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    That's odd. I eat a ton of protein per meal and my BF% has done nothing but lower. I'm also in a calorie deficit and lifting. What About Those Who Practice IF and only have a window to eat and not every few hours? I also only eat about 3-4 meals a day, as a personal preference, as it's the best way I adhere to my diet. I find small meals leave me hungry time and time again and I hate it. I would think the only thing ever stored as fat are calories consumed in a suprlus.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It depends. I would be inclined to say yes. Sometimes, for lunch at work, I'll make a double batch of my protein shake with the intention of splitting it up between two meals (lunch one day, put the rest in the fridge at work, drink the rest at lunch the next day). Well, one day I was sipping on it, not really paying attention, just really into my work. Finally, I realized I drank the whole thing. I felt nauseous the rest of the day. :(
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether to take you seriously or not. A batpill for breakfast?

I looked at your food diary. Eating 152 gr of protein at one meal is unhealthy and wrong. If you did it one night a year - fine. But you're doing that nearly everyday. You need to spread out your macros and not eat them all at one meal.

Having a 12oz steak and a ON protein shake at dinner? Are you serious?

Do two things. First google daily and / or meal protein intake. Second, go to bodybuilding.com and search for "protein limits". You will find a large amount of info regarding what I described above. Not just for bodybuilders. There is only so much nutrients your body can absorb at one time.