Feeling so out of control..... Need your help :(

Options
I need your help....... Please please please. I have always been a binge eater but last year managed to turn it around and get to goal weight (I lost 4 stone) Now, the old habits are back. I have been bingeing for 2 weeks and have gained back 8 pounds. The old feelings of no control and helplessness are back. I need to turn this back around before I ruin everything but I can seem to find my determination. Am really hoping that these board will make something 'click' and that I can wake up tomorrow feeling ready to fight again. Is there anyone out there who has been through this? x

Replies

• justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try to remember why you started this journey in the first place:

From your profile:
    Why I want to get in shape:
    "I loved the feeling of being slim and healthy...... I want to feel like that again."

My Inspirations:
    -- "Too many gorgeous skinny clothes which are waiting for me to fit back into"
    -- "My pre-pregnancy holiday photos...... I remember how amazing I felt!"

Take those gorgeous skinny clothes and pictures out and look at them.

Remember how you felt when you were much heavier. I know from experience that it's no fun to carry around a bunch of extra weight.

You have come so far and, yes, have been SO successful. You can do this...you're almost there!
  • snowy_sk
    snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you..... Yes you're right. Why would I want to sabotage this when I have come so far?! Fresh day tomorrow..... Time to sort this out x
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I felt helpless too but I started it anyway. Even though I told myself this weight is not coming off I didn't go for that second piece of bread and I logged in my food. After a week you start feeling better and motivated to continue.

Even if you feel like its pointless do it anyways. Just for today I will not go over my calories. Just for today I will eat smaller portions. Just for today I will walk. The days add up...
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just noticed you said you had been losing weight :laugh: No more drinking before noon for me :drinker:

Remind yourself why you started.
  • squiguk
    squiguk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Did something happen to trigger your binge this time? Is there something you can look at to avoid certain situations, etc?

I often lose a bit of weight and then think 'now I can eat whatever I want' so I'll eat loads and then feel so annoyed with myself which makes me want to eat more. It's an easy cycle to fall into but I'm trying to change my thinking to 'ok you can have something 'bad' but don't let it ruin your whole day' - so I exercise and eat better afterwards.

Looking at fitness pics on Instagram always motivates me! If I can't be bothered going to the gym or for a run or whatever I have a quick look at all the fit bodies that I want to look like this summer and that usually does the trick and changes my mind!

But other than that, don't be too hard on yourself. If you binge, let it go, drink loads of water and exercise a bit and eat healthily again. Maybe you will reduce them that way. Its the first step to deciding to eat healthly that is the hardest for me - but once I start I'm always glad I did!

Good luck! x
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree, just doing it, one meal at a time, will result in a better mood at the end of the day, greater motivation and a drop in your weight. Rinse and repeat.

Don't focus on the scale. After a hefty binge week, I can be up 5- 10 pounds on the scale and most of that is water. I really would only weigh in once a week, max.

Also, maybe you need a mental tune up. If you were seeing a therapist before, maybe go back for a check up.
  • Ajjf
    Ajjf Posts: 27
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over the the fact you had a few weeks where you just said to heck with it. Sometimes we all just need to eat what we want, as long as it's not too often. ;) In the grand scheme of things two weeks of crazy isn't going to mean anything and the main thing is that you have made a lot of progress and are continuing to make progress.

I said "to heck with it" and gave myself permission over the holidays to eat what I wanted and not count calories. I gained back over 10 pounds and you know what? THAT'S OK! I didn't sweat it because I know how to lose it again, and you do too. I already have lost it in fact.

My point is that weight loss is a journey. We are allowed to take detours and enjoy the view from time to time!

Have fun and always be enjoying how far you've come.
  • mjlife
    mjlife Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you are aware of what is going on. That's an excellent skill you have learned. Be proud of yourself for that. There must be something going on in your life that is stressful, or emotional, or perhaps even really exciting. My advice would be to sit in a quiet place and pray. If you don't normally pray, that's okay, do it anyway. By being quiet, talking about what is going on in your life (yes, talk out loud as if you were talking to your best friend), and cry if need be. After you have figured out your true feelings and emotions, go get a manicure/pedicure, or your hair done, or better yet go on a power walk. Do anything other than what you would normally eat while doing. For me, no movies or tv. Sometimes when I want to binge I get a latte. It's not a huge amount of calories, but it often satisfies me. You can beat this, you are bigger than the emotional binge. I believe you can do it and am so proud of you for being aware of your actions and willing to be vulnerable and ask for help. You go girl!