Breathing Techniques for Running/ General Advice

Options
Hi. I used to be a lacrosse player and did a lot of running and it never seemed to be a problem before. I'm heavier now of course and figured I'd try incorporating running back into my workout regime. It never seemed so difficult!

After five minutes or so of steady pace, I can't seem to get enough air into my lungs. Please don't misunderstand: I'm NOT out of breath like I can't run anymore. I still have plenty of go in me - I just can't manage to get a good rhythm of breathing going. It is very frustrating because when I slow down, I'm not tired. I want to keep running but can't breathe in deeply enough. I don't have asthma and so please, I'm not looking for excuses, just solutions for this problem.

Please, IF YOU ARE A RUNNER can you help? Thank you.

Replies

• MrsBrosco
    Options
    Bump
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Kath, same thing happend to me when I first started back on the tread mill for cardio......Google " exercise induced asthma", read about what it is, and the symptoms

I wished I had originally, then I wouldnt have had to put out about 3 K for some heart tests that took 2 days to do........

They thought I might have had heart issues, then tell me, no, its in perfect shape, more tests, and BINGO.........my asthma came back

check out symptoms and see if they are similiar........I use Asthmaex, and I have an relief inhaler, ie, bronchiodialator for the tread mill

I just take 2 hits off of it before I start ,and I can go for 2 hours non stop............Good luck, message me if you need any mor info LLOYD
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would also like some advice on breathing while running - mine seems so erratic! (Partly because I am a very new runner, and because I still have a lot of work to do on my fitness level....)
  • kathleenpenrod
    kathleenpenrod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump

????????????????
  • kathleenpenrod
    Options
    Kath, same thing happend to me when I first started back on the tread mill for cardio......Google " exercise induced asthma", read about what it is, and the symptoms

I wished I had originally, then I wouldnt have had to put out about 3 K for some heart tests that took 2 days to do........

They thought I might have had heart issues, then tell me, no, its in perfect shape, more tests, and BINGO.........my asthma came back

check out symptoms and see if they are similiar........I use Asthmaex, and I have an relief inhaler, ie, bronchiodialator for the tread mill

I just take 2 hits off of it before I start ,and I can go for 2 hours non stop............Good luck, message me if you need any mor info LLOYD

Thanks Lloyd. I'll look into it. Two hours now huh? That sounds amazing. I want to avoid medicines if I can but if this is a simple thing then perhaps that's the answer. Appreciate your straight forward and helpful advice!
  • MTDork87
    Options
    Bump

(All it means is that we're putting the comment up in the "recent posts" part of the site by "commenting" so more people will see it because we think it's a good question and would like more people to weigh in)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad exercise-induced asthma, but what helps me the most (besides my inhaler) is singing along with the music I'm listening to. Not singing loud enough that its audible, but mouthing along with the lyrics helps me control my breathing.

Two helpful articles from Runner's World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-380-381-386-245-0,00.html
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-369-370--12374-0,00.html

And another from ChiRunning: http://www.chirunning.com/shop/pages.php?id=23&pageid=18
    (Check out ChiRunning, it's a great book!)
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would time my inhales and exhales with my steps so for example two steps inhale, two steps exhale, etc. I had to really slow down my pace at first in order to keep my breathing on task so maybe try slowing it down a bit too until your able to get the breathing down. There are lots of articles out there about breathing while running, google it.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    I breathe in through my nose or mouth (two counts- matching the left,right of my footsteps) and then exhale through my mouth (two counts) - That's how I was taught- It works until I try to sprint and then I'm undisciplined and start gasping for air- haha.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I suffer from HANO which means that I regularly go in to anaphylactic shock and do suffer with a lot of swelling in my airway. I find that opening the lungs right up by opening my arms out wide, then breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth really does help xxx
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Very helpful info - thanks all!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have found chewing gum while running helps me tons! I'm a fairly new runner (since January), and have found that it helps me with my breathing (not exactly sure how) and also keeps my throat moist since I'm a mouth breather
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    If you are new or just getting back into running - you might want to run a distance, then brisk walk, run a distance, brisk walk and build up your endurance. I had a family member of mine ask me how to get into running - this is what I advised her and she is now running about 2 miles at a time - sometimes more with no difficulty. Not sure if it will help you or not. I also recommend to not think about it - or that you are running. It is sometimes mental for people so focus on something other than your breathing and the fact you are running.

Are you running outside or on a treadmill?
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to remember I'm not being chased by the mafia (:noway: ), and I can run slower than my maximum. There is no shame in going a little slower if it means your body will get the oxygen it needs. You build stamina and pretty soon you'll be able to run as fast as you'd like.

I didn't realize how fast I was trying to go until it occurred to me that if I was being chased I wouldn't last too long because of my out of control breathing. Plus I'd give myself away :laugh: So yeah...when running for exercise and leisure it is probably best to take it at the speed and length of time your body can handle and build up/
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to remember I'm not being chased by the mafia (:noway: ), and I can run slower than my maximum. There is no shame in going a little slower if it means your body will get the oxygen it needs. You build stamina and pretty soon you'll be able to run as fast as you'd like.

I didn't realize how fast I was trying to go until it occurred to me that if I was being chased I wouldn't last too long because of my out of control breathing. Plus I'd give myself away :laugh: So yeah...when running for exercise and leisure it is probably best to take it at the speed and length of time your body can handle and build up.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have COPD, and my pulmonologist gave me some tips. As previously mentioned, it helps to time your breathing to your stride. So you breathe in during left/right, then breathe out on the next left/right. If you prefer, you use three steps (left/right.left) instead of two for your breathing. Whatever keeps you from feeling "air hungry", as they call it.

A big help is to breathe in through your nose, and breathe out forcefully through your open mouth. Think of the mantra "Smell the roses; blow out the candles". That's how you should be inhaling/exhaling. Slow down if you have to to keep your breathing regular. Also, when you start to feel air hungry, try to push through it. I've found that my lungs usually rebound after a few minutes, and you'll start to breathe better.

One final tip, and this helps me a lot: keep your chin up, literally, and your chest lifted. Imagine someone tied a string to your breastbone, and is pulling your rib cage up and out as you exercise. This helps keep your chest inflated. Many of us tend to hunch over and drop our heads when we get winded, and this is the worst thing you can do. Just lift your head (look up a little if you have to) and lift your chest, and you'll feel the difference right away.

I use these tips on all my cardio workouts, and in 7 months I've been able to run (well, jog) 2.5 miles without having to open-mouth breathe at all. I can get enough air through my nose now that my lungs are in better shape. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • kathleenpenrod
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys! (And its neat that I posted something that got "bumped" into good posts!) I'll be sure to stay patient, breathe in rhythm and not try to run from the mafia!