HELP! Is my calorie intake too low?

miss_amy
miss_amy Posts: 351
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm curious as to whether or not my daily calorie intake is too low. I feel like this month my weight loss has stalled for the most part and i'm wondering if this is why. With about 90lbs to lose still (to get me in the healthy BMI range :blushing: ), I feel like I should be losing a bit faster. Right now to lose 2lbs a week, my calories are set at 1400. I typically feel like I'm fighting to not go over & I do eat most of my exercise calories. I'm not starving by any means, but I definitely could eat more. Just curious if someone can help me out.

To the people who have successfully lost a significant amount of weight, what worked for you? My weight is in the mid 200s. I'm scared to add more calories in fear of gaining (if 1400 cals is right)!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Even adding more you will not gain, you would have to eat on average over 2400/day to gain weight, so you should lose eating less than 2400. That being said your body may need more fuel. Try changing your goal to 1.5 lbs per week for a few weeks and see how that works for you.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Mine is set at 1330, and I'm consistently losing weight, so I don't think 1400 is too low. Are you drinking enough water? Are you watching your sodium? Are you changing up your exercises? sometimes you have to "trick" your body into losing more weight.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I'd stalled out too, so dropped my weight loss goal back by 1/2 pound per week, added about 220 calories, and started losing again. Try it, see what works for your body.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    When I was 230ish I was at 1400 and constantly going a little over but I was losing...I then changed my goal to 2 pounds per week and it dropped to 1200 and I lost for a little bit and then it tapered off. I recently went back up to 1400. Been eating 1400 for a little over a month and FINALLY my weight loss started to pick back up this week. I think I had mine too low and it screwed my body up and it took awhile to get back in check. If you feel like you aren't getting enough try adding more calories...just do it gradually by adding 100-200 and see how that goes. Good luck!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I am currently eating 1500 because my goal is not to lose as quickly as you, but more like 1-1.5 a week. I think since your goal is to lose 2 lbs. per week, that eating 1400 is great. If you ever feel sluggish or starving, then listen to your body and add a few calories. You will NOT gain weight adding more since you are eating at a great deficit already. But, if you don't listen to your body and keep eating 1400, then you could stall your weight loss eventually.

So all in all, if you are doing good and are not feeling sluggish or bonking during your workouts, then keep doing what you are doing.
  • Lyadeia
    I am currently eating 1500 because my goal is not to lose as quickly as you, but more like 1-1.5 a week. I think since your goal is to lose 2 lbs. per week, that eating 1400 is great. If you ever feel sluggish or starving, then listen to your body and add a few calories. You will NOT gain weight adding more since you are eating at a great deficit already. But, if you don't listen to your body and keep eating 1400, then you could stall your weight loss eventually.

So all in all, if you are doing good and are not feeling sluggish or bonking during your workouts, then keep doing what you are doing.
  • Lyadeia
    Sorry, didn't mean to double post!!!
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Try setting your goals to having you lose 1 lbs per week. That should up your calories to 1900 a day. I weigh 238.8 right now and eat 1850 calories per day and I'm consistently losing weight. I'm 5'6".
  • Thank you all! I'm going to slowly increase my calories by 100-200 and see how it goes. Like I said, I'm not starving but by the end of the day it seems like I usually have to cut some of my dinner to make my goal (if i'm not working out that day). To those wondering, I do drink a TON of water (about 3-4 liters a day) and I work out 5 times a week on average. My sodium has been high this week, but I usually try to keep it in check.

I guess this weight loss thing is a lot of trial and error (or success!) lol. I just get nervous anytime I change anything/add anything to my diet because I want to see the scale move down all the time. It's disheartening to me when I see it move up when I did good all week. :)

Thank you guys! MFP is so great! I've learned so much from you all! :)
This discussion has been closed.