Going on long road trip. Need healthy snack ideas

Options
JcMey3r
JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
I'm going on a road trip that will take about 16 hours of non stop driving(only stop for fuel).

What healthy snack ideas do you guys have/recommend?

Replies

• Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I would order a few Nature or Graze boxes, not sure how expensive they are but they look amazing and I've heard good reviews.
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
    almonds
    rice cakes
    peanutbutter
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I would order a few Nature or Graze boxes, not sure how expensive they are but they look amazing and I've heard good reviews.

They look good, But I'm in South Africa so wont be able to get them here.
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am going on a road trip in May. So I will be looking back to see all the suggestions. So far, I am cutting up some apples and carrots to eat on the way. I'll have a cooler in the car.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Turkey Jurkey, mixed nuts, peanut butter and apples............ BEER!
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like the cascadian farm snacks.
    But, there's also bananas, oranges, apples and other fruits you can proabably get anywhere that should keep for longer.
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Jerky, Nuts, Sandwiches, Wheat Thins, Vegetables, Fruits
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried making your own Beef Jerky? It"s my go to snack when I know healthy options won't be available. I make it so often I actually bought a dehydrator and I'm in love with it... you can get a decent one on amazon for about 50-60 USD. I'm not too sure what that converts to in South Africa but look into it.

I have this one: Nesco/American Harvest FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator (Again see Amazon)

If you don't want to make that investment right off the bat try using a recipe with your oven on it's lowest temperature. I've never tried making it that way but it's worth looking into.

I've used Lean cuts of roast beef and even steaks, ground buffalo and ground beef to make mine. I've also made dried sweet potato treats for the dog.

My favorite is a Vietnamese version (I winged it after a trip to Vietnam). Marinade: Fish Sauce, lemongrass, and white pepper. All to taste.

After a few different experiments I've discovered that using any kind of vinegar just dried it out so that's a no no. But other than that get creative. Hope that's helpful!
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    We drove down to Texas from Ontario last year and these are the things we packed to keep us full during the day:

- Whole wheat crackers
    - Nuts
    - Apples
    - Grapes
    - Wrapped Sandwiches (Bought a roasted chicken and just put it in a bun with veggies)
    - Water
    - Granola Bars

All that in a cooler and you're set to go.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, boxes of raisins, grapes)
    String cheese
    Baby carrots
    Nuts (individual packets are convenient for me)
    Trail mix
    Beef Jerky
    Protein bars or granola bars
    Whole wheat crackers
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sliced raw veggies will keep well for a day and give you needed fiber, e.g., carrots, celery, cucumber, jicama, cherry tomatoes. You could also pack 1 or 2 slices of multi-grain bread with peanut butter (PB sandwich), an apple and orange or banana, some nuts or seeds (plain - not trail mix), water with a spritz or slice of lemon or lime, string cheese or Babybel cheese, and beef jerky.
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never had jicama.... what's it like?
  • marise29
    marise29 Posts: 32
    Options
    :wink: seems biltong is a popular option. I would live off niknaks and nuts myself. But yes, fruit, water, rice cakes, nuts, Melrose cheese and something along the lines of biltong would probably be better health wise. Good luck! Which way are you going?
  • Beastmode454
    Options

Jicama with lime and light salt is the best.. hard to compare to something else.. you just have to try it.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Jicama with lime and light salt is the best.. hard to compare to something else.. you just have to try it.
    "Jicama is a crispy, sweet, edible tuber that resembles a turnip in physical appearance, although the plants are not related."

pronounced ji·ca·ma [ héekəmə ]
  • Beastmode454
    Options

"Jicama is a crispy, sweet, edible tuber that resembles a turnip in physical appearance, although the plants are not related."

pronounced ji·ca·ma [ héekəmə ]

Unless you do what she did.
  • MissImpala
    MissImpala Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oscar Mayer is advertising on here a meat, cheese and nut snack/meal combo! Looks like an awesome idea!

http://www.proteinproteinprotein.com/?utm_source=1497676&utm_medium=106837951&utm_campaign=8011853