Buying a new car, would love some feedback

Options
Hi everyone-

It's time for me to get a new (or used) vehicle at the end of the year. I need a car that has ABS and AWD/4WD as I will be living in the foothills of the Appalachians. I'd like a manual transmission, but I may consider an automatic. I have to stay under $22,000. I prefer a used car, probably 2011-2013. I am test driving a Subaru Forester today. I am also thinking about the Jeep Patriot. Maybe even a Toyota Tacoma (would have to be super used to fit my price range, I know.).

So my questions to you are: Given my specs, do you have any suggestions regarding cars that you think I should consider? I haven't purchased a car in 12 years. I've been doing a lot of research, but I'd like first hand info from people. Thanks!

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The Subaru Forester is highly rated. If you can get it for the price range you are looking at, I think you would be very happy with it. The Toyota RAV4 is another good vehicle and you can get it in AWD, it's FWD if you don't want to pay extra for AWD.

The Toyota Tacoma is a rear wheel drive vehicle unless you spend extra for 4WD. The resale price of them is pretty high. We just traded in my husband's 2012 Tacoma and the dealership has it up for sale for approximately $27000. Of course, it only had 11,000 miles on it, so that adds to the price.
  • jmarcin78
    jmarcin78 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. After reading your post I actually went back and edited the original to say ABS and AWD or 4WD. I misstated that. I have been finding quite a few Foresters in my price range and with about 40,000 miles, which is pretty good. I would LOVE a Tacoma, but as you say, they have great resale value. The only ones in my price range that I have found have about 75-100,000 miles already. I am a little anxious about rear-wheel drive, too. I would consider 4x4 on the Tacoma only. That limits me so much that I pretty much just am asking for a miracle when it comes to the Tacoma. haha!
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have owned several Subarus. Have had good luck with all of them. Right now I have a Legacy sedan - the 3.6R. Its a good car. Has more power than the base Legacy because of the bigger engine. Does not get great gas mileage as a result. I find with 4 snow tires it does very well in winter driving. I think it feels more solid than the Forester.

Hope you find a good deal.
  • gapeach1279
    gapeach1279 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not sure how small of a vehicle you're looking for, but you may want to consider a Honda CR-V. We're looking into buying one for our daughter who will turn 15 in December. They have a really high safety rating and seem to be reasonably priced.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    You can get into a brand new Jeep Wrangler for under 23K.
    4WD, ABS, traction control, fantastic resale.
    And.. well.. it's a Jeep!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would go with Forrester. I had nothing but problems with Jerp.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You might find this article helpful: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/15-used-cars-to-avoid#1

They give a list of some years to avoid for popular car models. I was reading it the other day and remembered being surprised to see the Subaru Forrester on the list but it was older models than you're looking at (2003-07, 2009).

I think the Forrester is a good bet though. My friend drives one and she loves it. The Honda Pilot is also nice if you want something a little bigger and don't mind a few extra miles to get the price down in your neighborhood. Make sure to check out cars.com too because you can filter by all the specific things you're looking for.
  • jmarcin78
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I am test driving a 2007 Subaru today. It is a little older than I will be buying, but its the only manual they had. What I may do is just tell them I want to drive a newer automatic. It is going to be raining and snowing today when I do it (I changed my appointment from yesterday to today) so that will be a good road test condition. Plus, I may get an automatic. Who knows.

Thanks for that info @Empty_Calorie. I will definitely read that article. Probably right after I write this. I do remember seeing recalls on earlier models of the Forester. This is the beginning of my Year of Test Driving.... :) Feel free to send along any other info if you hear anything. I appreciate it all of it.
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options
    ... pretty sure all cars after 2010 have ABS as it's required by law
  • norcotrek
    norcotrek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We loved our 99 Subaru Legacy when we live up in WV. Couldn't beat it in the winter. Very reliable, Id definately recommend Subi.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Ford F150 4x4 pickup truck.
    You can get one about 2010/2011 in that price range.

I've had my 2006 for 6 years and its got roughly 150k miles on it with no major issues, still looks great.
    Prior to that I had a 1998 for about 10 years and sold it when it was getting close to 200k miles.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    BuyJunkCarsTomsRiver.jpg

im selling mine...its slightly used
  • jmarcin78
    Options

im selling mine...its slightly used

Haha! Nice! That reminds me of the 2007 Forester I drove at the dealership yesterday. Test drive it and you could tell the throw out bearing was going out and the alternator was having some issues. Selling it like that for $11,000. Ridiculous.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with a Subaru. Damn things are as near to bullet proof as I've seen when it comes to cars. They also have the best awd system out there, next to Audi, but Audi is probably out of your stated price range.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I own a 2006 Subaru outback, and i will never own anything other than a Subaru.

I have yet to meet a snow/ice storm that bad *kitten* car can't handle.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I had a Subaru Forester and it saved my life - got in a head-on crash - the police and medics said any other vehicle - I wouldn't have survived...........

So - my money's on the Subaru Forester!