Calories: in vs. out

Options
So i have heard that when you over indulge the best thing to do is exercise the day after for optimum burn. However, I have also seen (more frequently) that you should keep the days calories together, ie. What you eat today you burn today. How much of this is true? See, I had a couple of canolies and a glass of wine last night (I know!) and I am hoping that today's burn makes up for it. I am just wondering how true it is

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    speaking from personal experience my overall deficit for the week is what I see happen on the scale - you can see an average of your week and how close you are to your target on the mobile app under nutrition and set it to weekly instead of day. You can try to eat a little less today and move a little more to try to make up for it today, or try to make up for it over several days, or just go with it, sometimes it is better to just move foreward and learn from the past.

Best of luck on your jorney :)
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do weekly calories as well. That way I can "bank" calories earlier in the week to use on the weekends, or make up for some overindulgence when necessary.

I try never to save more than 400-500 calories in a day, i.e., I don't go over my net calorie goal by more than 400-500 in a day no matter how much cushion I have.
  • jade_amber
    Options
    thank you for the suggestions, I might try to do the weekly goal as well instead of focusing on my daily count so much