You can't build muscle at a calorie deficit? Why lift??

Options
kcm105
kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
I keep seeing people say you cannot burn fat and build muscle. In other words, if you're "dieting" (eating at a calorie deficit), you cannot build muscle. So my dummy question for today then is, why lift weights at all? I am overweight and need to lose AT LEAST 50 pounds. I also want to be more all around fit. I am not athletic and don't care if I can ever wear a bikini, but I might like to wear shorts someday.

So why do people keep saying I should be lifting weights at this stage in my weight loss journey? If I can't build muscle eating at a deficit, then why bother?

This is not meant to be sarcastic in any way. Totally serious question.

Replies

• Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    People are silly. I lift and have lost a butt load of weight.

Two things (simplified..don't want haters to tell me i'm wrong, blah blah):

1) if you want to lose fat then you need to build muscle to help burn more calories when doing the least amount of work. I.E. The more muscle you have, the easier it will become.

2) if you want to lose weight and just diet, then you will lose both fat and muscle mass which would lead to flabby skin (e.g. bat wings) if you don't have at least some weight training involved.

Lifting is just as important as cardio but will help expedite the fat loss process. You aren't going to look like the hulk by the end of it unless you really want to get there, but you will be nice and toned.
  • kcm105
    Options
    Lifting burns fat as well. And it continues to burn for a while.
    Lifting is not just for building muscles.

But will it make me "stronger" or more toned?
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options

But will it make me "stronger" or more toned?
    Yes. As you lose body fat lifting weights will help you not loss so much muscle along with it. And if you're lifting for strength gain, you'll see strength gain. (Such as 5x5 or 4x6).
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you do. I did a "build phase" where I did manageable sets (e.g. 50lbs benchpress x 8 reps). Now that I'm in a "strength phase" I'm increasing the weight and doing less (e.g. 75lbs benchpress x 4 reps).

I developed nice toned arms in the build phase, but now that i'm in the strength phase it is much more noticeable and I don't even have to flex (*pops collar and puts on sunglasses*).

What are you goals?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Unconditioned muscle atrophies while in calorie deficit. So now not will your metabolic rate automatically drop just from less intake, but it's accelerated when muscle isn't being conditioned. Lower rate will also equal more stalls. And in reality, you'll still look like you albeit, just a smaller version of the current shape.
    That's why one lifts initially to enhance their physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can gain strength while losing weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    When you eat at a deficit, you lose weight. This includes body fat and muscle. When you lift, you keep the muscle loss to a minimum.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

EPOC is extremely overrated in terms of extra calorie burn
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So why do people keep saying I should be lifting weights at this stage in my weight loss journey? If I can't build muscle eating at a deficit, then why bother?

- for one thing, its a big part of being "all around fit" as you state your goal to be

- you can make considerable strength gains without putting on actual mass as your body learns to recruit the muscle you have and make neurological adaptations

- you preserve the muscle mass you have. muscle is a use it or lose it kind of thing. think of muscle as a very expensive commodity for your body to maintain...in a deficit of energy (calories) if you are not recruiting use of that muscle, there is really no reason for your body to hold onto that very expensive commodity. it thus becomes more efficient to burn off that lean mass in order to better cope with that deficit of energy. Using those muscles (weight training/strength training/resistance training) helps preserve that mass and maximizes fat loss. In the absence of resistance training you will lose a great deal of muscle mass along with the fat.

- when you preserve that muscle mass and shed fat, you get "toned". you have to have muscle to look "toned"...so if you're burning up a bunch of lean mass while you diet, you're not really going to have that "toned" look...because you will be lacking in muscle mass.

- It promotes fat-free body mass with decreasing sarcopenia.

- It increases bone density which in turn reduces your risk of osteoporosis.

- It Increases the strength of connective tissue, muscles, and tendons. This leads to improved motor performance and decreased injury risk.

- It burns more calories at rest as your body repairs what has been broken down in the training process

- It improves your quality of life as you gaining body confidence. Strength training will not only make you strong, but will also help with managing your weight.
  • kcm105
    Options
    it depends on what you do. I did a "build phase" where I did manageable sets (e.g. 50lbs benchpress x 8 reps). Now that I'm in a "strength phase" I'm increasing the weight and doing less (e.g. 75lbs benchpress x 4 reps).

I developed nice toned arms in the build phase, but now that i'm in the strength phase it is much more noticeable and I don't even have to flex (*pops collar and puts on sunglasses*).

What are you goals?

Do you mean fitness goals or weight loss goals?

Weight loss - I'm 5'5", CW 187, current GW is 138. But that's subject to change depending on a number of things. But really, even if I get really fit and toned, I think mid-130s is a reasonable weight goal.

Fitness goals - To be honest, I've never really been what you'd call "fit". I am naturally very unathletic and have low muscle tone. In high school I was about 125 pounds and was very active with dance and pom-pons. (I know, that's sort of an athletic activity, but trust me, you don't want me on your softball team). Even in high school i was flabby and not really very fit.

So I don't really have defined fitness goals I suppose. I just want to not totally suck. And to wear shorts and a tank top when it's 100 degrees without thinking about my flabby arms and thighs. That would be really great.
  • kcm105
    Options
    - for one thing, its a big part of being "all around fit" as you state your goal to be

- you can make considerable strength gains without putting on actual mass as your body learns to recruit the muscle you have and make neurological adaptations

- you preserve the muscle mass you have. muscle is a use it or lose it kind of thing. think of muscle as a very expensive commodity for your body to maintain...in a deficit of energy (calories) if you are not recruiting use of that muscle, there is really no reason for your body to hold onto that very expensive commodity. it thus becomes more efficient to burn off that lean mass in order to better cope with that deficit of energy. Using those muscles (weight training/strength training/resistance training) helps preserve that mass and maximizes fat loss. In the absence of resistance training you will lose a great deal of muscle mass along with the fat.

- when you preserve that muscle mass and shed fat, you get "toned". you have to have muscle to look "toned"...so if you're burning up a bunch of lean mass while you diet, you're not really going to have that "toned" look...because you will be lacking in muscle mass.

- It Increases the strength of connective tissue, muscles, and tendons. This leads to improved motor performance and decreased injury risk.

- It burns more calories at rest as your body repairs what has been broken down in the training process

- It improves your quality of life as you gaining body confidence. Strength training will not only make you strong, but will also help with managing your weight.

^^This. Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to hear.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It has been working for me. I eat at a deficit, do strength training for 45 minutes, 3 times a week, and am losing. Been doing this steadily, since October.

Also, I can very clearly see and feel results of the ST. Lastly, I eat back ALL of my calories burned from the strength training, and I use a Polar heart rate monitor to tell me how much I've burned.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

What are you goals?

Do you mean fitness goals or weight loss goals?

Weight loss - I'm 5'5", CW 187, current GW is 138. But that's subject to change depending on a number of things. But really, even if I get really fit and toned, I think mid-130s is a reasonable weight goal.

Fitness goals - To be honest, I've never really been what you'd call "fit". I am naturally very unathletic and have low muscle tone. In high school I was about 125 pounds and was very active with dance and pom-pons. (I know, that's sort of an athletic activity, but trust me, you don't want me on your softball team). Even in high school i was flabby and not really very fit.

So I don't really have defined fitness goals I suppose. I just want to not totally suck. And to wear shorts and a tank top when it's 100 degrees without thinking about my flabby arms and thighs. That would be really great.

I would suggest picking up a copy of starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman. Once you have read those build a program around heavy lifting using compound movements = squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, chin ups/pull ups, bench press and keep eating in a moderate calorie deficit.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You will get stronger. You will burn fat. You will also keep more muscle mass so you can eat more when you hit maintenance.

Lifting weights when eating at a deficit is kind of like your muscles saying to your body; "See, I'm still needed. Concentrate on the fat."
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true at all.

I recently lost 30 lbs eating at a deficit while doing CrossFit 5-6 days a week. I was able to lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

If I only did cardio, I'm sure the weight would have come off but without the added muscle and higher BMR. Strength workouts are extremely important when wanting to lose weight!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It's definitely made a difference for me. I asked some of these questions myself and got similar answers from some of these same people, and started a modified program. I do tricep dips, modified pushups, squats, lunges, and some dumbbell work lying down (side leg lifts on inner and outer thighs). I've noticed quite a bit of increased definition and strength. Prior to starting the work, I'd noticed a bit of sagging skin and muscle, and since I started it, I've gained lot more tension and tightened appearance in skin and muscle along with a more defined look to the muscle.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, if you are an overweight beginner, you will be able to burn fat and build muscle at the same time, up to a certain point. From there you are working on muscle endurance and efficiency (not sure these are the right words) rather than building more pounds of muscle, but doing so will make you stronger and will allow you to burn more calories while at rest, which will help the fat come off.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't want the lean body mass to diminish, and i hate cardio.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    thanks you guys, you encoraged me to start lifting again!