Hip Injury Running

Options
I made a mistake. I didn't stretch. I ran 3 miles. I now have "old lady hip." I'm limping like a lame horse on the way to the glue factory. It's really not that painful but it is there. Should I stay off of it? Stretch? Walk it out? I don't think it is serious enough for a dr. visit, however the initial injury occured a week ago now. Can anyone make a suggestion (preferably backed by science and or experience)?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Anything that hurts more than 2-3 days needs checked out. You might have strained something and continue to aggravate it. If rest & ice don't help after a couple of days see a doctor. Last year I ran through hip pain for a month and ended up taking a long time off running and spending a lot for doctor's visits & therapy. Now when I feel any pain I back off running, ice it, roll it, and ease slowly back into running once the pain is gone. Find someone who does Active Release Therapy in your area. That's what helped me recover last year.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I shall try the ice! Yeah, I'm a little worried that if it's strained I'm going to make it worse and I really don't want to be making it worse. I am interested in this Active Release therapy. I will look that up too! Thanks for the advice!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What was the "initial Injury" - if you have pain after running it was unlikely because you didn't stretch - especially if the pain is making you hobble and you are used to running 3 miles
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Use a foam roller on it and go to a chiropractor that does adjustments on more than just your back. My chiro adjusts literally everything.... and fixed my "old lady hip" injury in just a few adjustments! She's currently working on my knee now. I swear by chiros and to be honest, everyone should be seeing one pretty regularly for adjustments- ESPECIALLY runners. Ask your chiro for exercises to strengthen the hip flexor as well. Hope it gets to feeling better soon!!!
  • laurasnyder411
    Options
    I'm used to running 3 miles....I just didn't all winter and jumped back into it the other day when it warmed up...a little overzealous for someone so lazy this winter. Poor choices. Anyways, I've never had any problems before. I'm wondering if my shoes have contributed to this injury. They are several years old and pretty sure they need to be replaced. I am also going to look into this foam roller as I am not sure how that works. I'm minorly terrified of chiropractors but if it continues I may have to buck up haha! Thanks for the suggestions!
  • laurasnyder411
    Options
    Which reminds me, any suggestions on brands or types of running shoes to buy?
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Which reminds me, any suggestions on brands or types of running shoes to buy?

Get fitted at a running shoe store. What is great for one person is the wrong shoe for another.
  • crystalfisher89
    Options
    I'd go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. It'll be pricey but it's better than the issues that can happen that'll cost you more money if you don't take care of your body and use proper running shoes. I love running, but it's so destructive on the body if you do not take extra care while doing it.

As for brands... I use Asics Kayano 19 (they now came out with 20s, but you may be able to find the 19s at a discounted price!) Rule of thumb is to go a half size up as well from your normal shoe size because your feet swell while running. The Kayanos (they'll run about $150) have really good arch supports, I have really high arches, and they work wonders. Still have yet to find a better shoe for running!

I have also heard really good things about minimalistic shoes. Maybe not the Five Fingers ones as I've seen some interesting injuries on people who were not careful with them, but I have some that I use for hiking, walking, and weight lifting. I bought a pair of discount Marrell's for $90 and love them- they have a natural arch support rather than a cushion which is part of why I love them so much. The only issue is you have to wean yourself into using those shoes if you are going to start running in them to build the muscles so you don't injure yourself. Like run a mile or two once or twice a week in the beginning with them and slowly build up, I've heard from people who are injury prone that they have noticed a decline injury once their body got used to them.

Hope that helps!
  • crystalfisher89
    Options
    I'm used to running 3 miles....I just didn't all winter and jumped back into it the other day when it warmed up...a little overzealous for someone so lazy this winter. Poor choices. Anyways, I've never had any problems before. I'm wondering if my shoes have contributed to this injury. They are several years old and pretty sure they need to be replaced. I am also going to look into this foam roller as I am not sure how that works. I'm minorly terrified of chiropractors but if it continues I may have to buck up haha! Thanks for the suggestions!

To be honest, I'd rather go to a chiro before a regular doctor anytime because regular doctor's tend to suggest medications and surgeries, whereas chiros adjust your body so you don't have to go to either or both options as long as it is not too bad of an issue. Just my personal opinion. It's scary when they pop your body the first few times (especially your neck), but it's always worked wonders. I do understand your fear though, a lot of people have it, but I'll swear by it over medication any day.

As for foam rollers, they will be a bit pricey, but completely worth it. Just look up things on youtube and you'll find all kinds of great rolling techniques. Resistance bands are also good for restrengthening the muscles.