B-complex vitamins

Options
I'm getting all kinds of mixed messages about the B-complex vitamins. Some info says it needs to stay at just 100% Daily Value and others say it needs to be much higher. Some info says if it's much higher it can CAUSE health problems; some serious. Data suggests it increases energy and metabolism and decreases anxiety. Other data says that too much actually makes those things worse. Anyone have any input on this?

Replies

• xPixie311x
    xPixie311x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I recently had my blood work done. After the Dr. reviewed the results they said that my Vitamin B-12 was at "210", and it should be over "400"; B-12 gives you energy etc. They said that was the reason I was soo lethargic/sluggish all the time etc. They told me to come once a month for a few months for a B-12 shot in my arm (doesn't hurt at all; and my ins. covers it) to help get my levels back up. I have noticed a significant difference in my overall energy, and really notice when it is time to go for another shot, because I feel lethargic once again. You should definitely have your levels checked! =) GOOD LUCK!
  • tater8589
    Options
    I would be careful with others opinions. You could ask your dr or pharmasist. I do know that technically Vit C is the only one you 'can't' OD on because it will pass through your bodily functions. Others are used or stored in the body and can reach toxic levels.
  • xPixie311x
    Options
    I would be careful with others opinions. You could ask your dr or pharmasist. I do know that technically Vit C is the only one you 'can't' OD on because it will pass through your bodily functions. Others are used or stored in the body and can reach toxic levels.

EXACTLY TATER! I couldn't agree more. That is why I suggested she have her levels checked professionally etc; maybe I was not specific enough :flowerforyou:
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    We are trying to concieve at the moment and my midwife recommended B complex for that. I take 100 mg a day in the last half of my cycle. As all the responders are ladies, please let me warn you to be very careful with it. It is considered safe in doses up to 100 mg with little risk of major side effects. HOWEVER, it is often used as a natural fertility drug and does change your cycle. I know I am not the only woman who noticed significant changes in when I ovulated. It has worked wonders for us, but if you are TTC or thinking about starting sometime in the near future, please do not take it unless you have a luteal phase problem. Feel free to PM me if you like, I have done a ton of research and am working with an acupuncturist and midwife who have both ok'ed it for me.
  • mightymraz
    Options
    Thank you all so much. You kinda confirmed what I was thinking, which is ask a doctor or medical professional. I appreciate the responses and I'm not going to take these that I bought until I consult with someone. I wanted to take them to make my life better, but not make it worse!! And to Kennedar - best of luck to you and I definitely thank you because if B vitamins help with fertility I am SO not interested in that!! My one blessing is enough!! :)
  • xPixie311x
    Options
    @ Kennedar-
    Good luck to you! I am done having children. I have two wonderful babies one will be 4 next month, and the other just turned 9 months. I had to have my tubes tied after very high risk pregnancies with both babies. I need the shots due to medical problems etc, and they are administered from my primary care physician.

@Mightymraz-
    You are welcome if you ever have any questions please feel free to PM me. When you see your physician have them check your levels if they are as off as mine were it can make you extremely lethargic/ tired. Good luck to you!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    B vitamins are water soluble -- your body doesn't store them.
    B12 is also poorly absorbed through the stomach, hence the recommendation for liquids and sub-lingual varieties.

I would definitely ask your doctor about it.
    The UL varies for each of them.