tea & coffee

Options
hi

l love my cups of tea with two sugars . i have cut it down to 1.half spoons now but its does not taste has now.
some day i can drink up to 20 cups aday.
i have tryed the sweetnes but do not like them
what do other people use or do please
i some times drink green tea but they is only so much you can drink of that

Replies

• AshuhleeMarie
    AshuhleeMarie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I just recently cut coffee out (i loaded it with cream and sugar). I now drink water (if i'm bored, I'll flavor it with fruits and things like mint leaves..yummy)
    I do think you're adding WAY too much sugar to your tea...find an alternative that you like without having to add so much
    I also drink a lot of tea. Right now I'm loving Diet Green Tea with ginseng by Arizona. It does have sugar but not much. Plus it could always be worse! You could be drinking soda!
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    20 cups of tea with a spoonful of sugar each?

That's a whole heap load of calories going just towards sugar.

I think sometimes even though we enjoy something, we just need to stop it for our own benefit. You just need to moderate yourself with the tea and enjoy 1-2 cups a day.
  • Blossomforth13
    Options
    Why do you feel you need the sweeteners? Personally, I have a cup of Earl grey Tea every day, either right away in the morning or before school. I used to "need" milk and a teaspoon of sugar, but once I started going without, I found I didn't 'need' it. I enjoyed it just as much without the milk and sugar. Maybe try another brand of tea, or another type, a white tea or a fruit flavored one that would be naturally sweeter?
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When I started drinking coffee, I chose to drink it black, because of the calories. Some time later, when I wasn't counting etc., I chose milk and sugar.
    I left with drinking coffee with milk, but that's a "treat" I am giving myself. I really, really like the taste and it's just worth it.

But the sugar in my tea for example wasn't worth it. I like my tea unsweetened. It's just about priorities.
    If you drink up to 20 cups of those, it would really, really add up. If I was you, I would overthink that.

If you can't cut out sugar and milk, or at least the sugar, I would think of switching the drinks in general to water, maybe "sweetened" by some fruits in it.
    And if most of your drinks are without any added thinks, then it would be reasonable again to drink 1-2 cups of coffee and/or tea the way you really like it :flowerforyou:
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love my tea, I use Hermesetas sugar sweetner :drinker: :drinker:
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    try flavored teas - right now I am enjoying Davids Tea - Birthday Cake. 10 calories a cup.. pretty darn good, and i drink it black. Also have the red velvet (doesn't taste like it, but still good) and some other green tea flavors -
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I drink about 6 mugs of various drinks while at work, then a few at home on an evening. I found that by only drinking caffeine loaded drinks (green tea is another matter) before 1pm, it helped me have more variety in my drinks, making me appreciate them all more.

I went from 2 sugar coffee (with milk) down to plain coffee (no milk) over about 5 years. Reduce slowly, get used to the new step, and cap how much you can have in the day, whether it's time based or number based.

So spend this month drinking your tea normally, but only drink it until around 4 hours after you wake up. For the rest of the day, drink some various types of fruit tea, herbal tea, green tea (in this case, I don't drink this after 6 hours of being up due to the small amount of caffeine in it) and anything else you can get.

Next month, cut it down to 1.5tspns of sugar and repeat. Month after, 1tspn. Carry on until you're drinking it with just milk, then maybe consider changing the milk (from whole to semi-skim, to skim etc) or reducing the amount down from about 3tbspns (the average I've found people to add) to 2tbspns and so on.

I found reducing the amount you drink first, followed by slowly changing the drink itself, is an effective way of combating it. At least you reduce calorie in take by limiting the amount before having to change your tastes!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I drink most tea black. But I find that a lot of fruity herbal teas are really good without sweetener. I like Celestial Tea http://shop.celestialseasonings.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc

I used to drink that much tea a day and it was all caffeinated. It affected my health and sleep. Now I have 1 or 2 max caffeinated beverages a day and if I feel like I "need" more flavor I do herbal. This is my and my boyfriend's favorite herbal blend: Mandarin Orange Spice Herbal Tea. He likes it with a lot of honey but I can do it black. (It is better with honey, but it isn't necessary.)

Another good one is cinnamon tea. It is spicy so it doesn't need sugar. Also it is a black caffeinated tea
  • jasminecoco
    jasminecoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started to swap the cream with milk first, then cut sugar to half, then cut the other half of sugar. Still can't drink it black but I'm so used to the unsweetened coffee and tea now.
    Change gradually and you will get used to it.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I had a better solution for you. I used to drink my tea English style -- with both milk and sugar. Then I switched to splenda to avoid the sugar. And now I just drink it black. I really cut down on sugar in my diet altogether and after a while, my desire for it decreased A LOT. I think it very much has an addictive quality -- where when you eat it a lot, you need more and more of it to get that same level of sweet satisfaction.

I still love me a dessert from time to time, but a few bites and that's it because it's just too sweet or too much for me now. I never thought I'd be happy saying this, but I really do prefer it this way. Because I feel very satisfied with those bites now (or pieces of dark chocolate), whereas before I'd have to eat the whole dessert to get that same level of satisfaction.

So, I'm sorry I don't have a better solution. But if you cut down on the sugar, you may later find that you actually like black tea on its own pretty well (I surprisingly did -- now I drink all my black and green tea unsweetened with no milk).
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'd encourage you to develop a taste for tea without sweetener. I used to use splenda as a no calorie sweetener but I have read studies that the fake sweeteners cause you to crave real sugar too. So I forced myself to drink tea straight and coffee with just a bit of low fat milk. You can do it!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    l love my cups of tea with two sugars . i have cut it down to 1.half spoons now but its does not taste has now.

This used to be me. I drank tea with 2 sugars and I drank it all day (didn't drink coffee at the time). I slowly weaned myself off the sugar.
    First I went to 1 1/2 sugars a cup and drank it that way until it tasted good. It will taste good....truly.
    Then I went to 1 sugar and repeated the process until I drank tea without sugar. That was probably about 25 years ago and I still drink my tea without sugar and enjoy it.
    That said, I add a drop of lemon to cut the bitterness of the tannens but this is a personal preference.
  • jmpurser
    jmpurser Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My "normal" coffee habit was 4-6 cups of coffee with 6 teaspoons of sugar in each one. I tell people I don't really like coffee, but I love coffee flavored candy.

Of course I had to quit that if I'm serious about loosing weight so I switched to tea for breakfast. I can limit that to just two cups with a little over an ounce of honey in each one. But looking at my current nutritional breakdown I see I'm always way over on sugar and under on protein. Something has to give in the long run. So next week I think the Tea has to go.

For me it's easier to walk away from tea or coffee than try to modify the taste/ritual that I've become accustomed to. Now, I'm an alcoholic and have an addict's mind. We think differently. Maybe you can modify an old habit without it becoming a trigger pulling you back into old ways. I can't do that.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Smaller cups = less sugar

But you shouldn't be drinking 20 cups a day, that's odd. 2-3 should suffice, I'd focus on getting cut the amount you drink.
  • johnnylufc
    johnnylufc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thank you all. this morning am cutting down to one sugar. and see how that go
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    hi

some day i can drink up to 20 cups aday.
    i have tryed the sweetnes but do not like them
    what do other people use or do please
    i some times drink green tea but they is only so much you can drink of that

Gradually step it back... bit by bit... and you'll get used to it without it being a shock to your system

Plus, sugar and artificial sweeteners increase your appetite, so the more you have the more you want.
    but inversely you need to have less to want less. Cut back and it will reduce your cravings for it.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to cut down on sugar in my tea, I still have 2 tsp per tea but I only have 1-3 a day. Try replacing some of the tea with a glass of regular water, if you don't want it to be cold just leave a container of it at room temperature to come back to whenever you want.

can_t_wait_for_the_cold_weather_by_eleyonart-d6lj05f.jpg