Do you keep your food diary open?

Options
I don't because... I don't see the point. Can someone please explain to me why letting other people see what you eat is beneficial?

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Because maybe they are struggling with hitting certain meal macros, or need ideas and sometimes someone else can give you fresh perspective?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I'm an open book. I'm all for constructive critisism or someone taking my meal plan for themselves. Either you help me or I help you. Either way, I'm cool with it.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Also many people ask what they are doing wrong in their diet and then keep their diary closed. People can't give advice if they can't see what you are eating.

I keep mine open because I don't really care who looks at it. If people want to be judgey about my food what do I care? If someone looks at and says "oo that sounds fantastic!" then cool I've helped someone.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I have nothing to hide.

Whether asking advice or giving advice, other people may want to see some of the specifics in what others are eating.

And some people think it's personal and nobody else's business.

Either way is okay.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Part of it is a mental thing for me, I used to be a secret eater... wait until everyone else went to bed then raid the cookie jar type stuff, so having an open diary is my way of being upfront and honest with myself. Also gives ideas to others on what you can eat while still losing.

It's a personal choice for me it's beneficial for you... that would be up to you
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I don't because I like to keep my friends.
  • purpledaisy4
    Options
    I keep mine open in the hope someone will see it on a bad day and come along and shout at me to stop eating :D
  • mrodriguez1082
    mrodriguez1082 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do... It keeps me in line as to what I eat. I might still fall off a few times but not as bad as if I kept it closed and no one saw what I ate. Also ppl can advise me as to what I'm doing wrong or use one of my meals :-)
  • mrodriguez1082
    mrodriguez1082 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open in the hope someone will see it on a bad day and come along and shout at me to stop eating :D

I agree helps keep me on track in a way
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    There are enough new people on here who continually asking for assistance or food ideas or how to log - mine is not exact, but its what I do. If mine help - then great. To me it's the same as offering opions - only this is a passive form :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To keep me more accountable I guess. And to show others that having a few bad days doesn't hurt that much in the long run.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have had some good success here and this way people can see how I eat. Nothing magical, no secrets....just keep track.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I used to keep it to only friends but then I figured, what's the big deal with keeping it private? I don't really care who sees my food diary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why not?

I have nothing to hide...and if it helps someone to look at mine have at.

Not sure why people keep it private...

To be frank if I have see a person on my friends list and I can't see their diary...gone.
  • sumofRactions
    sumofRactions Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I didn't either when I first joined here mine was closed. Reading some posts I came across a few where they said they enjoyed reading through them to give them menu idea so I went back and made mine available to friends. If I can help someone else simply by leaving it open then why not?
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, (at least to MFP members) no reason not to be,
    As pointed out others may use it for inspiration, or If I've asked for help it makes it easy for people to see and offer their 2 cents on what may help (whether I listen or not is another story)
    and as someone else said it keeps you accountable to a degree
    If someone reaches out for help and suggestions and doesn't open their diary any help is pretty much a wild guess
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

ROFLMAO
    I have days I wish that happened as well, but usually late in the day too late then
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. I want as accurate a record as possible. I don't want the temptation to omit that second glass of wine or 1/4 serving of Fritos. I am NOT creative and eat weird things (like salad for breakfast) so most people wouldn't find mine useful.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Yep mine's open. When I pose questions in the forums, it's easier to give me an accurate answer if you can see what I'm working with. Friends can use it for ideas. I have nothing to hide.