Whey vs Casein?

Options
So my trainer suggested I do 2 types of shakes. During the day for a snack, or post-workout, do a whey shake, and then at night, use the casein shake since it is a slower digesting protein, it will help with repair and recovery while I am sleeping.

Is there any real science to this? He's not trying to sell me anything or suggest brands, just giving me advice on how to optimally keep my protein intake high and help with post-workout recovery.

Thanks!

Replies

• kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me the same thing last year. Use Whey right after a work out as our muscles are at there optum time to absorb whey and then use casein later in the day.

If you find a good casein powder that you like let me know. The one I use is hard to get down but works great in my baking items that I don't use flour in.
  • ebheil
    ebheil Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, I have researched the difference and your trainer is absolutely right.

Eileen
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In general the theory is true, though 98-99% of the benefits of protein will be from getting enough daily, the timing will help with that last 1-2%. So bodybuilders do it as they are looking for any edge they can get. For the general population you will not be able to tell the difference.

I would suggest getting in as much natural sources of protein and if you are short then have a shake and don't worry about source/type or timing, too much fuss for so little benefit.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me the same thing last year. Use Whey right after a work out as our muscles are at there optum time to absorb whey and then use casein later in the day.

If you find a good casein powder that you like let me know. The one I use is hard to get down but works great in my baking items that I don't use flour in.

Optimum Nutrition makes a yummy casein.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In general the theory is true, though 98-99% of the benefits of protein will be from getting enough daily, the timing will help with that last 1-2%. So bodybuilders do it as they are looking for any edge they can get. For the general population you will not be able to tell the difference.

I would suggest getting in as much natural sources of protein and if you are short then have a shake and don't worry about source/type or timing, too much fuss for so little benefit.

Yeah, this.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above, that's the basic idea. Whether it's really needed is another matter, but it seems this way would at least give you the best chance of the best results.