Net Calories and exercise

Options
jlynnm70
jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
Ok - I need to clarify something because I am confused a little bit. I am looking for 'math' help more than anything at this time.
I'm short - 5'0" - I need to lose around 25# more. I sit at a desk all day long - but try to work out for about 20 minutes 3-4 times a week, besides rollerskating with the kids on Sundays.

I don't understand the TDEE (I don't even know what it stands for) I set everything up through MFP. I chose lightly active and loss of 1# per week. It gave me 1200 calories per day (please don't start on that's too low - I've heard it and even adjusting from sedentary to lightly active - and from 2# loss to 1# per week - it stayed at 1200 - that isn't the question.)

The problem I have is figuring the net calories - I assume that means I want my NET to be 1200??

However, once I log workout and food for day - I don't try to eat ALL the exercise cals back because mostly I see that people eat maybe 1/2 to 3/4 because of how MFP figures exercise calories - It looks like I am netting between 1000-1100 (except on Sundays because the rollerskating adds a crazy amount of exercise calories and I don't believe it). I know that I almost always eat the whole 1200 or more (and I do use a scale and measuring spoons and cups - because I need to monitor my portions or I get way too much food.) Am I doing this right? Or do I need to be eating even more to make sure I NET 1200??

When I first started I only looked at food calories - now I'm starting to pay attention to other stuff (one thing at a time right?)

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have it figured out just about right :)
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    Thanks - the whole NET thing was messing me up.

Looks like maybe a small extra snack somewhere would be good - another 100 or so cals. That should net me a little closer.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Looks like maybe a small extra snack somewhere would be good - another 100 or so cals. That should net me a little closer.

The "net" thing just gets you back to your original deficit. MFP is designed this way so people who can't/won't exercise still lose weight.

1200 is not based upon your size.......a 6' tall woman would get 1200 calories if she set her weekly goal high enough. 1200 is just the lowest default MFP sets.....maybe it's appropriate....maybe not

Does your weekly goal fall in here?
    Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

With an agressive weekly goal.....your body will lose fat+muscle....as opposed to mostly fat
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    yeah I probably fall into the 25-40 to lose thing. so 1# a week.
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    OH - and I don't feel hungry - so I think I'm doing OK - but was trying to make sure I fell in the right place. the 1200 should be my NET
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    OH - and I don't feel hungry - so I think I'm doing OK - but was trying to make sure I fell in the right place. the 1200 should be my NET

Hunger really isn't the best indicator. Lots of fiber is "filling" .....but it doesn't support existing muscle mass. There are threads on......"I'm eating 900 calories & can't possibly eat my exercise calories back because I'm stuffed." Fatigue factor is more important.

You are petite....so your value will be lower than some. Check out your BMR .....basal metabolic rate (calories your body would use if you were in a coma) .....if 1200 is close to this number....you should be ok.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    Scooby says BMR is 1333 - so maybe I need to eat just a little more. Thanks
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

The "net" thing just gets you back to your original deficit. MFP is designed this way so people who can't/won't exercise still lose weight.

1200 is not based upon your size.......a 6' tall woman would get 1200 calories if she set her weekly goal high enough. 1200 is just the lowest default MFP sets.....maybe it's appropriate....maybe not

Does your weekly goal fall in here?
    Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

With an agressive weekly goal.....your body will lose fat+muscle....as opposed to mostly fat

Thanks for the info!

I reset my goal to 1 lb and that added a bunch more calories. That is gonna be a little 'yikes' but I'm hungry a lot so I'm gonna try it. I use a calculation to get calorie burn for circuit training (Ripped in 30) but I can't actually do that DVD 100% yet so I'm sure that calorie burned number is to high.

I already feel like a huge weakling, lol, I don't want to lose muscle.