So you'll lose muscle on a vegan diet?

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Idiots will yap about protein all day long. Ignore the bros. They say you'll lost muscle, but they have NEVER tried it. Still waiting to lose mine. I have gained strength, not lost it.

You're jacked bro.

I see a little growth in his uvulus and upper dorsimus.

f7d3ee12-bdd7-466b-9515-d35ef9460f6a_zps3a17fa01.jpg
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Bro

Jus sayin
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Idiots will yap about protein all day long. Ignore the bros. They say you'll lost muscle, but they have NEVER tried it. Still waiting to lose mine. I have gained strength, not lost it.
    Muscle and strength are not the same thing.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You can get stronger even if all that is left on your frame is essential muscle; neuromuscular adaptation. Protein is important to building and sustaining muscle, whether you like it or not -- that's what the science says, and until such a time as science supports the claims of vegan propaganda advocates, most people will be better served by a diet higher in protein when pursuing frequent, intense exercise with the aim of improving of their physique.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    He does say that he will try and get around 80g of protein a day, but doesn't subscribe to the 1g per lb of body weight formula. If you want to know what he eats, take a look at the article...

He didn't say how much protein he was eating when he was competing. The exact quote he gave was this:
    You don’t need one gram of protein per pound of body weight. You don’t need that at all. If you are regularly active and at a good weight, if you get more than 80 grams of protein a day then you are fine. The body can’t even process more than that, your liver can’t process more than that. If you give your body too much protein then it’s either going to turn it into energy or to fat. And your liver has to do all that.”

So he gets more than 80 grams. He might have gotten a lot more when he was competing.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of vegan body builders out there. And Carl Lewis won 10 olympic medals, 8 of them gold, on a vegan diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of vegan body builders out there. And Carl Lewis won 10 olympic medals, 8 of them gold, on a vegan diet.
    Actually he won 9 gold and 6 gold and 1 silver were won before he was vegan. After turning vegan he won gold twice in the 4x100 and a gold the long jump. Didn't you even look at his record or did you just believe some other vegan source, serious question.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    You don’t need one gram of protein per pound of body weight. You don’t need that at all. If you are regularly active and at a good weight, if you get more than 80 grams of protein a day then you are fine. The body can’t even process more than that, your liver can’t process more than that. If you give your body too much protein then it’s either going to turn it into energy or to fat. And your liver has to do all that.”
    My liver has to do all that (process dietary protein into energy or fat) but my liver cannot process more than 80 grams per day.

So the obvious question is, "what happens to the other 70 grams per day that I ingest?"

I mean, if he's right then it clearly cannot possibly be turning into fat OR being used for energy. Is it just falling out of my body, or building up somewhere, or perhaps being processed/eliminated by leprechauns?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You do not have to lose muscle on a vegan diet. However, the article is riddled with bs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I would love to see a statistical analysis of how many vegans there are in the world v how many elite level vegan athletes (particularly ones who have been vegan for at least the majority of their training life). Until you do that, the fact that some are and Carl Lewis was for a point in time is moot.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The article also completely avoids the fact that that you need more protein at a deficit. Maintaining muscle at a deficit =/= maintaining at maintenance or at surplus.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    The article also completely avoids the fact that that you need more protein at a deficit. Maintaining muscle at a deficit =/= maintaining at maintenance or at surplus.
    Counter intuitive but very true......we need some proteins to take it for the sake of the team.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You want to eat vegan cool, you want to eat meat cool. Who gives a ****. We don't need to re-invent the wheel here folks.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    FWIW, he's not a UFC fighter since he's retired. He was pretty bad, probably due to his crappy diet.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ... I've started a sort of part-time 80/20 vegan diet ...

Proper name is chegan (cheating vegan). Lots of chegans out there. You are in good company.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    FWIW, he's not a UFC fighter since he's retired. He was pretty bad, probably due to his crappy diet.

Actually, according to his stats, he actually lost more fights since becoming a vegan than he won. Before that, he had won more than lost.

Not the best example to use to prove any point.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    My liver has to do all that (process dietary protein into energy or fat) but my liver cannot process more than 80 grams per day.

So the obvious question is, "what happens to the other 70 grams per day that I ingest?"

I mean, if he's right then it clearly cannot possibly be turning into fat OR being used for energy. Is it just falling out of my body, or building up somewhere, or perhaps being processed/eliminated by leprechauns?
    Since I can't get an answer I guess I'll just have to go with leprechauns. So the take away from this thread is don't eat too much protein or leprechauns will steal it from your body.
  • amtatusko
    amtatusko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Being a vegan is totally healthy if planned appropriately. I can trust Harvard and the ADA. Money quote:

"In July 2009, the American Dietetic Association weighed in with a position paper, concluding that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases" (Journal of the American Dietetic Association, July 2009)."

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/October/becoming-a-vegetarian

And this:

"The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day (or 8 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight)."

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

Answer your question?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    "The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day (or 8 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight)."

So, how much is optimal

Minimal sounds like a d student loser who just gets a diploma; I wanna be valedictorian and nail the homecoming queen...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Being a vegan is totally healthy if planned appropriately. I can trust Harvard and the ADA. Money quote:

"In July 2009, the American Dietetic Association weighed in with a position paper, concluding that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases" (Journal of the American Dietetic Association, July 2009)."

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/October/becoming-a-vegetarian

And this:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

Answer your question?
    The OP question was about losing muscle mass, not if the diet was healthy. And if your only getting only .8g/kg bodyweight in protein while lifting and dieting I can guarantee muscle loss.