Workout Breaks

Options
How many days in a row do you workout? Should you take a day off after 6 straight days of working out? What's your routine?

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    two days on, one off.
  • n8dagr8_07
    Options
    3 days in a row at the most. I find I'm burned out after about 3 (mix between strength and cardio/swimming for those 3 days) and I take it as my body telling me to rest.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Longest I go is 4. Rest days are saturdays and mondays because it's what works with my schedule. Rest days are incredibly important for things like strength/mass gains and for your nervous system to repair.
  • 4Healthyliving
    4Healthyliving Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have to discuss what you mean by "workout" If you are doing weight then absolutely you need to break it up lifting weight makes micro tears in muscle and the body need to repair and recover. If you are doing yoga you can do it every day.Are you running ? If so do not do it every day too hard on your joints. Are you doing a rebounder trampoline. The every day is OK. So the question id how much stress and what type is your body being placed under?
  • kfraz33
    kfraz33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Day 1: Weights/10-20 Min Cardio
    Day 2: 45 Cardio or HIIT
    Day 3: Weights/10-20 Min Cardio
    Day 4: 45 Cardio or HIIT
    Day 5: Weights10-20 Min Cardio
    Day 6: 45 Cardio or HIIT
    Day 7: Rest

This is my typical routine over the last few weeks.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I don't do more than 2 days of weightlifting without an "off" day, in which I either take the day completely off or do Cardio and/or abs.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Typical week

Monday - Lifting
    Tues - short kettle bell training ( 15 mins ) 3 mile run
    Weds - LIfting
    Thurs - short kettle bell training ( 15 mins ) 3 mile run
    Friday - lifting
    Saturday - short kettle bell training ( 15 mins ) 5 mile run
    Sunday - rest

I think it depends on your work outs I know by Saturday I am VERY happy to be done with that run and look forward to the rest
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    currently I am training for a cycling event in May:

Sunday - Swimming
    Monday - Rest (go walk the dog)
    Tuesday - 80 minute cycling (tempo ride) AM/ Weight Training PM
    Wednesday - 80 minute cycling (tempo ride)
    Thursday - 12 mile cycle sprint (stamina ride) AM/ Weight training PM
    Friday - Rest (go walk the dog)
    Saturday - Long Ride (Endurance Ride)

I take two rest days per week...I don't do anything more rigorous than go for a walk on those days....usually about 3 miles or so.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    your muscles need rest time to repare. When you lift weights you are ripping your muscles, so when you rest they rebuild bigger and stronger.
    I personally have two rest days a week, but one of them is an active rest day for me (I'll do some running, or yoga, or hiking).