Back Once Again!

Options
markja
markja Posts: 270 Member
Well, it's me again, back for another try at becoming a normal sized man. One thing has changed, my starting weight this time around was 335. I'm down 16 lbs in the first two weeks so I'm off to a good start. Would that all of the excess lbs would leave as easily as the first 10. Still, action is required!

The cute little boy in the picture is now 6 years old and running all over the house. "Come play with me, Papa!" he shouts excitedly. Unfortunately, Papa can't do much in the way of playing because Papa will break something if he's not careful. And when something breaks on Papa, it tends to stay that way.

There is part of my motivation for trying once again to get control of my weight. The other part is from my doctor but, not in the way you would think. I went in for my physical and found that, low and behold, I'm a picture of health, so long as you don't look at my picture in profile. Seriously, my blood work is the envy of millions of my fellow Americans. I am the proud owner of laughably low cholesterol, and all of the other middle aged problem areas simply are not. My doctor was well pleased until I said, "Doc, I would really like to lose some weight." Her response was, "What would you like me to do?" Just like that, I realized what I've known all along; if it's to be, it's up to me. Wouldn't that be great if it were not simply a cliche?

So, how will I be different this time around? My daughter, E is particularly encouraging, my daughter A, is also am MFP'r and my beautiful wife, is extremely supportive to the point of checking with me before planning dinner to see that I can, in fact, eat the meal and stay on track. Her only complaint? I've become obsessed with the MFP app on my phone. I shall try to abstain from calories consumed versus calories used and... excuse me but, I must check my phone! Thus, her complaint.

I've promised that I'll be more focused on the meal and the people I'm eating with rather than the calories. After all, how many times do I have to compute the calories of a meal that I've eaten before? Well, it may be that my forgettter is getting better and my rememberer is broken but, I can still recall a meal a day later so, I've conceded the point. Also, she is much more important than the phone!

Let me know if you can relate.

Replies

• Jadichick
    Jadichick Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello ! It's fantastic that you're back! And you're inspiring as you've already lost weight. I can relate to that feeling of not being fit enough to play as well as you'd like with an active 6 year old boy. My nephew is of the same age. I was trying to keep up with him and was getting out of breath. It's horrible being so fat. It is astounding that I find my body so hard to move around due to the weight. You're very lucky that you don't have health problems , so you have been given a chance. Take it and run with it! I unfortunately am not that lucky . I have unrelated weight problems. But my weight makes my health problems worse. However, there is always hope. It's nice that you want to lose weight for your wife and for yourself. I'm sure you'll do it!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Can totally relate in an opposite gender way. My grandchildren and other reasons are what brought me here. If you want an active supportive friend add me.

Joanne
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome back! My start weight was 330pds! Good luck you got this!
  • AtkCheryl
    AtkCheryl Posts: 23
    Options
    Well, it's me again, back for another try at becoming a normal sized man. One thing has changed, my starting weight this time around was 335. I'm down 16 lbs in the first two weeks so I'm off to a good start. Would that all of the excess lbs would leave as easily as the first 10. Still, action is required!

The cute little boy in the picture is now 6 years old and running all over the house. "Come play with me, Papa!" he shouts excitedly. Unfortunately, Papa can't do much in the way of playing because Papa will break something if he's not careful. And when something breaks on Papa, it tends to stay that way.

There is part of my motivation for trying once again to get control of my weight. The other part is from my doctor but, not in the way you would think. I went in for my physical and found that, low and behold, I'm a picture of health, so long as you don't look at my picture in profile. Seriously, my blood work is the envy of millions of my fellow Americans. I am the proud owner of laughably low cholesterol, and all of the other middle aged problem areas simply are not. My doctor was well pleased until I said, "Doc, I would really like to lose some weight." Her response was, "What would you like me to do?" Just like that, I realized what I've known all along; if it's to be, it's up to me. Wouldn't that be great if it were not simply a cliche?

So, how will I be different this time around? My daughter, E is particularly encouraging, my daughter A, is also am MFP'r and my beautiful wife, is extremely supportive to the point of checking with me before planning dinner to see that I can, in fact, eat the meal and stay on track. Her only complaint? I've become obsessed with the MFP app on my phone. I shall try to abstain from calories consumed versus calories used and... excuse me but, I must check my phone! Thus, her complaint.

I've promised that I'll be more focused on the meal and the people I'm eating with rather than the calories. After all, how many times do I have to compute the calories of a meal that I've eaten before? Well, it may be that my forgettter is getting better and my rememberer is broken but, I can still recall a meal a day later so, I've conceded the point. Also, she is much more important than the phone!

Let me know if you can relate.
  • AtkCheryl
    AtkCheryl Posts: 23
    Options
    You sound l ok me you have an amazing support group xx
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Update, one year later.

Well,its been a year and I'm still here! I've dropped 40 lbs from the starting weight of 335, I'm now 295 and loving it.

It's been an interesting year, I went on vacation in July and managed to lose a lb or two, plateaus in October and hurt my back in December. Fortunately, the back is back, so to speak and, I've been feeling better than ever.

I gained over the holidays and recovered my loss, um, lost my gain of 8 lbs! which I gained then lost. You understand, right?

Anyway, I'm trying now to break through 295 to get to my next achievement. I'm trying to drop 50 lbs this year but, I apart to be off to a slow start.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that I'm still hereAnd this is talking much longer than I thought.