HEMP protein

Options
I said I would never take protein or similar in a supplement form but due to not getting enough protein, and working out I have been advised to. I was recommended some Hemp protein from Holland & Barrett, going to take it only on the days I work out. A bit apprehensive, but I think it has to be done.

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Well, not what I was expecting.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Was this a question or a random statement of intent to consume a product?
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It reads more like an ad to me...
  • jenovaprojekt00
    jenovaprojekt00 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, it's a gateway supplement. Before you know it, you'll be shooting up creatine on your bathroom floor!!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Hemp isn't a complete protein source like whey, so if you are vegan or looking to avoid whey, I would suggest finding a protein mix that creates a complete profile, which will usually include hemp, brown rice, and other plant-based proteins. Right now I have Phytopro, which is gross, so I don't suggest that brand. I've heard good things about Rawfusion which I've been looking into getting, but I believe you can only order in online. It's well priced at bodybuilding.com, last time I checked they had a buy 2 get 1 free deal on it.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hemp isn't a complete protein source like whey, so if you are vegan or looking to avoid whey, I would suggest finding a protein mix that creates a complete profile, which will usually include hemp, brown rice, and other plant-based proteins. Right now I have Phytopro, which is gross, so I don't suggest that brand. I've heard good things about Rawfusion which I've been looking into getting, but I believe you can only order in online. It's well priced at bodybuilding.com, last time I checked they had a buy 2 get 1 free deal on it.

thanks for the useful info. I can't get enough protein from my food so I have to do this. I will have a look online. Trying the H&B one today as I am working out tonight.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Who diagnosed you with protein deficiency?
  • monkeychow53
    Options
    Hemp is a complete protein source! It contains all the essential amino acids and is also high in Omega 3 and 6...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,888 Member
    Options
    I said I would never take protein or similar in a supplement form but due to not getting enough protein, and working out I have been advised to. I was recommended some Hemp protein from Holland & Barrett, going to take it only on the days I work out. A bit apprehensive, but I think it has to be done.
    Try a combination of plant proteins in a powder form for a better amino profile than just hemp. The bioavailability of hemp is low and some amino's are almost non existent, especially for muscle.
  • 09_Harley
    09_Harley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • hellsbells3272
    Options
    Who diagnosed you with protein deficiency?

My nutritionist who is monitoring my diet AND MFP say I don't get enough protein in my diet.
  • hellsbells3272
    Options
    just had it - DISGUSTING.
    :sick:
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a couple pounds of pea protein on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DB4MFO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's supposed to have the right mix of amino acids. Per the reviews, the main drawback seems to be the taste.
  • hellsbells3272
    Options
    Perhaps there isn't one that tastes good. Or even that tastes OK.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of peas, especially raw peas still in the pods, so I'm thinking how bad can it be?

I should know in a couple days.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein can be a little gnarly if it's your first protein powder. I would start with Sunwarrior, which has a complete amino acid mix. Vega protein or Plant Fusion are all blends of different types, as far as I know.. and they taste a bit better.

If you're set on hemp though, Nutiva makes a chocolate flavor that is palatable mixed with banana.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've made pancakes with it and they tasted good

hemp_zpsc09e495a.jpg
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    youre supposed to smoke it... goes straight to the muscles
  • naijxxjian
    Options
    You are incorrect my friend, Hemp protein contains all 21 known amino acids, including the 9 essential ones.

reference:

"Characterization, amino acid composition and in vitro digestibility of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) proteins". Sciencedirect.com. 2008-03-01. Retrieved 2013-11-09.
  • naijxxjian
    Options
    I have mixed hemp seed with water and blended it to a cream sauce and made curry sauce. If you like East Indian curry it tastes great.