First half marathon!! AHHH!! :)

Options
Hey everyone!

It seems like just yesterday that I was posting here asking for advice about my first ever race ( a 5K)... and now I'm back to ask for ANY advice y'all can give me for my first half marathon, on SUNDAY!! Ahh!!

I am super excited!! I've been training for a while now, so I feel pretty confident that I can at least FINISH the distance... but ANY advice you can give me about the big day would be greatly appreciated!! I'm especially trying to work out what to eat this week and the morning of, if I really should be tapering (it's killing me not to run!) and if I should be worried that I have to go to a wedding the day before and may not get enough sleep...

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Carb load the day/night before. Lots and Lots of carbs. Try to keep them complex/low gi (oats, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat breads, brown rice etc). Pace yourself. Hydrate. Win.

If I were running a marathon I'd personally eat at a 500-600 cal surplus the day before comprised primarily of carbohydrates. Something along the lines of 50/30/20 or 60/20/20.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Don't try and eat anything you don't normally. Run at your own pace, not those around you. Stop at the last part of the water table not the beginning - then walk until you finish drinking. Bring an easy to consume while running snack - that you have already tested. don't overdress - you will get warm.

Enjoy - that's what it for.

Good Luck.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Yes, taper. You want to get to the race rested. Don't stop running all together, but you also shouldn't be running high mileage.

For a half, no real special carb loads are needed, though if you want to up your carbs a little, do so the 2-3 days before, then eat normally the day before (nothing too high in fiber, greasy/fatty, or spicy). You just want to top off your glycogen stores, not be weighed down.

The morning of, eat what you normally eat before a training run. Nothing new, no surprises.

Get plenty of rest 2 nights before (the night before is always somewhat restless).

Go out slow, try not to get caught up in the adrenaline of race day.

In general, DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

Good luck!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "don't try anything new on race day" thing... including clothes!

Make sure you take good care of yourself the day before and stick with your plan. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and run too hard or too fast at the beginning.

Most importantly, have an amazing time! Just enjoy all of it!
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sounds like better advice from the above posters...just saying what I"D do...then again I do zero cardio..so yea..
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes, taper. You want to get to the race rested. Don't stop running all together, but you also shouldn't be running high mileage.

For a half, no real special carb loads are needed, though if you want to up your carbs a little, do so the 2-3 days before, then eat normally the day before (nothing too high in fiber, greasy/fatty, or spicy). You just want to top off your glycogen stores, not be weighed down.

The morning of, eat what you normally eat before a training run. Nothing new, no surprises.

Get plenty of rest 2 nights before (the night before is always somewhat restless).

Go out slow, try not to get caught up in the adrenaline of race day.

In general, DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

Good luck!

+1
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    eat what you have been eating before the long runs - they are training runs for all aspects of the race not just the running but. Get lots of sleep the week before the race - no one sleeps week the night before a race - try and still off your feet as much as you can the day before. Hydrate really well all week and up your carbs a little all week
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Good advice here, I'm 3 weeks from my first half.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yay good luck!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything different than what you've been doing to this point. Now is not the time for change. The only other thing I'l recommend is, HAVE FUN and good luck on Sunday. Let us know how it goes.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I ran two half-marathons (my first one ever in August and then another in Oct) and have done multiple 10-miler races I would advise what others have said - don't try anything new - not new socks, not new clothing, not new shoes, and not new food, the day of the race. In the couple of days leading up to it, eat plenty of carbs but the day before, don't eat too much fiber and eat something with carbs but not a lot of fiber the morning of the race. Make sure to not overdress so that you get overheated....unless you can easily peel off the extra layers. Just focus on taking one mile at a time and tell yourself that you DID prepare for this race and can finish. Good Luck!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    For my first half last October, to avoid an unwanted/unwelcomed bathroom break mid-race I opted to lay off coffee for the 3 days before the race, and I also decreased my fiber by switching to simple carbs (think white breads etc.) Other than that I didn't really change my eating habits much; no real carb loading done.

The day of the race I got to the sight early to avoid long lines at the bag check, so I could familiarize myself with the grounds, do some walking, and I visited the bathroom probably 3 times before the gun fired.

During the race I was fortunate enough to run with a friend, and it took all the nerves away. We spent the whole 13 miles talking, waving at and thanking supporters, and smiling. It may not have been the hardest I could have pushed myself, but that wasn't my goal for that race, I wanted to experience it, and to complete it, and I did in what I think was a decent time. So, remember to have fun and enjoy yourself out there.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    awesome advice--- I have my first half in 24 days and super pumped but also excited
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! I am training for my first half too!
  • liza89
    liza89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did my first half last year and was surprised at how overwhelmed I was by the amount of people running, in such close proximity to me. Its easy to get caught up in what other people are doing, inc how fast they are running so expect to get jostled along with the crowd. If you are aiming for a set time 2hrs, 2hrs 15 etc I would still think about starting with a slower group just to ease yourself into the run and get used to the environment... that way you can easily overtake as you go along!! Also dont be too disappointed if your dont reach your goal, you've never done a half before so you've nothing to benchmark yourself against, come the next one you will have a PB to beat!

Agree with dont do anything out of habit, ESPECIALLY including food. I was on a low calorie diet anyway and was told to carb load etc which I did then wondered why I struggled on my last few runs before race day.. if you are fine training with your current diet DONT feel the need to do what others are doing, stick to what works for you.

Good luck!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info so far. I will echo not to try anything new. Training runs are the place for that, not a race. Wear something you know will be comfortable, eat only things during the race that you've tried before. Lay out everything you're going to need (clothes, gear, bib, timing chip, GPS watch, etc.) the night before and map your route to the start line so you won't be in a panic or a rush before the race. There's no need to carb load before the race but keep your foods things that are simple to digest; simple carbs are good for that. Avoid high fat, high fiber foods. Someone once said, "If you carb load before the race, you're going to carb UNload during the race." You want to avoid the long lines for the portapotties during the race, trust me. In fact, get to the race in plenty of time but not too early. Get in one of the long lines for the portpotties and be sure to empty your bladder within 10-20 minutes of the race start. You should be able to avoid needing to go during the race that way.

As far as sleep and all that... it's not something I'd recommend but I've completed half marathons after closing the bars down the night before. (Hey, beer is a carb, right, and who needs more than 3 hours of sleep?) I won't say that race was pretty but it certainly wasn't my worst finish time ever and I got it done. I'm not "in it to win it" in the first place.

I guess my point is not to worry too much about it. Odds are, you aren't going to win the race, and that's not your goal anyway. If you need to take a few walk breaks during the race, that doesn't mean you've "failed". There are many people, myself included, who use a run/walk strategy through the whole race and finish faster than those who run the whole 13.1 miles. I'm sure you'll see more than one of them out there on Sunday morning. Enjoy the experience and when you're done you'll have a personal best you can try to beat the next race.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Like all races, don't do anything new. If you haven't trained with food/gels/Gatorade, don't succumb to it on the race route. You'll regret it at the finish line.

You've done the hard part - the training - now it's just to show up, enjoy, and set a personal record :)
  • butreally12
    butreally12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys - SO much great advice here!!! I love it!!

I have definitely heard (and agree with) the advice to not try anything new on race day... and that brings me to another predicament. The poster below me sort of answered it, but I want to make sure I understand...

I've been following a running plan, but to be honest I know absolutely nothing about running nutrition. So, my plan told me to run 13 miles, and I went out and did so, without water, or food, or anything like that. Now that I'm researching fueling and stuff I realize that that's probably not the best... (again, I'm absolutely new at all of this!)

Almost everyone seems to recommend SOMETHING in the way of replenishing your body at some point along the way, so I'm wondering if I should try gatorade or water during the race? Again, I haven't trained using it, so my instinct is no, but do you guys think it would help my performance? (My goal is just to finish... but secretly I'd like to be around 2 hours) Everyone seems to recommend it...but...

Again, thanks so much for all of the responses!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys - SO much great advice here!!! I love it!!

I have definitely heard (and agree with) the advice to not try anything new on race day... and that brings me to another predicament. The poster below me sort of answered it, but I want to make sure I understand...

I've been following a running plan, but to be honest I know absolutely nothing about running nutrition. So, my plan told me to run 13 miles, and I went out and did so, without water, or food, or anything like that. Now that I'm researching fueling and stuff I realize that that's probably not the best... (again, I'm absolutely new at all of this!)

Almost everyone seems to recommend SOMETHING in the way of replenishing your body at some point along the way, so I'm wondering if I should try gatorade or water during the race? Again, I haven't trained using it, so my instinct is no, but do you guys think it would help my performance? (My goal is just to finish... but secretly I'd like to be around 2 hours) Everyone seems to recommend it...but...

Again, thanks so much for all of the responses!!

You don't really need anything for a half. If you haven't had it on training runs, just go without. The last thing you want is to find out at mile 8 that those power gels really don't agree with your stomach. If you have trained with water, drink that during the race.