I need ladies who went from fat to fit by lifting!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Hey ladies! I'd love to hear your stories if you went from fat to fab by weight lifting. I've been a major yo yo dieter and I want to break the cycle! I'm 43 years old and back in 2011 I went from 196lbs to 126lbs by doing medifast. Of course, once I went off medifast the weight quickly came back. I don't want to survive on 900 calories a day for the rest of my life!:grumble:

So now I am currently 180bs and want to lose 50lbs. I just started doing P90x3 every morning and once my son goes back to preschool in 2 weeks I'll have an hour and a half to go to the gym where I plan to do some heavy lifting.

How long does it take to see a real reduction in bf and weight? How long until you saw some muscles? My calories are no more than 1400 a day, which is perfect for me. I'm eating protein with every meal and keeping my carbs below 75g. I also religiously drink a gallon of water a day and have given up alcohol while on my weight loss journey.

Any help from ripped and lean ladies would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if 43 is too old to lose body fat and gain some muscles, though. :ohwell: :frown:

Thanks so much!
Lisa

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    43 is not too old! I think everyone is different in when they see results from lifting, etc., but when I initially lost weight I started weight training even at my heaviest and I am so glad I did cause it made a huge difference in how I looked when I got to my goal. I do eat high protein, low carb. That's what works for me. Add me if you'd like.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I completed the program (book) "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" when I was 43 years old and it totally transformed by body!

There is a group of women here on MFP that can provide great support. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Wise decision to start lifting HEAVY weights.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and am doing it, so you are NOT too old! I dropped weight and bf % by a combo of eating at a deficit, well balanced, macros and micros and exercising. Started the exercise doing circuits and walking, have been lifting heavy for 3 months (started 9 months ago, but was doing 1 lifting day a week, 1 circuit training day a week). Currently lifting 4 days a week. I have seen a 2+ point drop in bf % since the beginning of the year, and dare I say...my backside is looking much perkier. My waist has shrunk, and I can see muscles, in most places. pretty close to immediate gratification.

Go for it. Not only good for you, but fun as well. Make sure you follow a program, and keep increasing resistance.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I completed the program (book) "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" when I was 43 years old and it totally transformed by body!

There is a group of women here on MFP that can provide great support. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Wise decision to start lifting HEAVY weights.

Well, here's the problem with that. I even bought the book but for the life of me I can't understand what day to lift what and for how many reps! It's VERY confusing! Do you know of a link where I can just print it out and take it to the gym? Love the book but very confused on the workouts. Sigh...
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What Barbonica said.... I"m the same age as her and found out heavy lifting works great. 3 days a week in the gym lifting, for about an hour each time. Get the Starting Strength book to read for "how to", and load the StrongLifts 5x5 app onto your phone. Take phone to gym, and let it do all the tracking for you! Easy as can be.
  • lisamarieashley
    Options
    I started lifting for 5 months now and I would say after the 2 month I could tell, sooner in my arms then legs. I run 20 min then
    alternate legs and arms every other day. I am trying to get the food thing down I watch my carbs good and try to increase my
    protein. Its very hard to reach my calorie goal though
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options

Well, here's the problem with that. I even bought the book but for the life of me I can't understand what day to lift what and for how many reps! It's VERY confusing! Do you know of a link where I can just print it out and take it to the gym? Love the book but very confused on the workouts. Sigh...

Yes, it is VERY poorly organized and confusing. What I ended up doing was writing out the exact day's exercise, number of reps and order of completion. I am liking the results so far, but I have just started Stage 2.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Great suggestions! Glad to hear that 43 isn't too old!:tongue:
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and only started lifting 18 months ago so no way are you too old. I, went from a size 14 (australian) to a size 8 and lost around 15kg pretty much only lifting and roughly sticking to lowish calorie goal. My progress is not as fast as some but I have a hectic lifestyle so find it hard to devote lots of time to exercise.

I had a pt for the first 12 months to get me into the habit of lifting and make sure my form was correct then have been loosely doing my own thing for a while. I have just started doing The Strong curves program and it seems good for teaching good form and squatters backside.

Can't recommend lifting enough.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    bump
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I am 41 and only started lifting 18 months ago so no way are you too old. I, went from a size 14 (australian) to a size 8 and lost around 15kg pretty much only lifting and roughly sticking to lowish calorie goal. My progress is not as fast as some but I have a hectic lifestyle so find it hard to devote lots of time to exercise.

I had a pt for the first 12 months to get me into the habit of lifting and make sure my form was correct then have been loosely doing my own thing for a while. I have just started doing The Strong curves program and it seems good for teaching good form and squatters backside.

Can't recommend lifting enough.

Thanks so much!