Intuitive Eating

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Finally, someone who gets it. Counting calories is a nasty obsession, but for those who are consuming WAY over the recommended amount, it's a good idea. But even then it should be a rough estimate. Intuitive eating is what we're meant to do. We should listen to our bodies and eat what the body wants. Of course, people who have struggled with binge eating/restriction (anorexia) should probably not start with intuitive eating right away, as the need to consume food (usually comfort food) or ignore hunger stems from emotional needs.

It's very hard to eat intuitively. But with work, it's the best thing to do. I mean honestly, who really wants to live life by the scale? Numbers don't mean anything. You should define success by how you FEEL, not how you LOOK. If your aim is to be fit, work hard until you feel strong. If your aim is to be healthy, work hard until you feel good in everything you do, and have a clean bill of health from your doctor. If you're hungry, eat something. But you need to learn the difference between ACTUAL hunger and EMOTIONAL hunger. That's the key. If you're angry, sad, lonely, depressed, stressed, anxious, panicked, etc, don't go for the food. Go talk to someone. Play with a pet. Watch a movie. Drink a cup of tea. One needs to recognize when they are hungry, and when they're looking to cope.

So if you don't have a strong/difficult emotion that you're trying to cope with, and a slice of pizza or a muffin sounds delicious when that tummy is a' rumbly, go ahead and chomp right in.

Spot on. Now, let the arguments commence.

why are you on a calorie counting site if it is a "nasty obsession"

my "nasty obsession" has helped me go from 210 pounds to 175 pounds and 12% body fat…..

so you do what you do, and I will do what I do …but don't try to say that people that count calories are "obsessed"
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Awesome for you. Maybe you should go find an intuitive eating website to post on and not a calorie counting site.

so much this….
  • jessicakels
    Options
    Awesome for you. Maybe you should go find an intuitive eating website to post on and not a calorie counting site.

I wasn't rude in anything I said or any of my replies. I just wanted to put it out there that other things can work too for people who might find counting calories to be stressful or obsessive. Like myself. I become obsessive when I try to count calories to the T.

No need to be mad or rude that this works for me and I wanted to share in case others might take interest in it or find it helpful.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

I wasn't rude in anything I said or any of my replies. I just wanted to put it out there that other things can work too for people who might find counting calories to be stressful or obsessive. Like myself. I become obsessive when I try to count calories to the T.

No need to be mad or rude that this works for me and I wanted to share in case others might take interest in it or find it helpful.

I am not mad and I'm not being rude. I am glad intuitive eating works for you. This website is a calorie counting website, and people are here to count calories in some form or fashion. This is a method that is proven to work 100% of the time when done correctly. Intuitive eating just can't produce the same results for everyone because there's no constant to measure against.

Again, you might find more like minded people on an intuitive eating website. You even anticipated that you might get a lot of 'hate' from your post-- so you clearly think people aren't going to agree with you. And you're right.... they won't. BECAUSE YOU'RE ON A CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it works for some...my son is doing it atm...he doesn't like counting either...

But I know it wont last forever...for him anyway.

Counting calories and weighing my food takes all of maybe 5mins a day...that's not a long time to spend ensuring I am getting enough calories without going over my limit.

And as mentioned before I am getting really good at knowing how big a portion is...I have without fail cut my cheese at exactly 30g for the last couple of weeks. I know what 4oz of meat looks like (steak/chicken/pork/ham)...carbs not so good yet.

But really for 5mins I will keep my scale. Counting calories doesn't have to be stressful or obsessive...no more than keeping track of your bank account...btw that takes more time to keep track of then my calories.

And for those who say why count...same reason you keep track of your money in the bank...to make sure you have enough to pay bills and maybe a little extra to have fun...you work for your money so you don't want to waste it...
  • ndj1979
    Options

you did mention in your original post that those of us that count calories are "slaves" which is rhetoric that is not really necessary...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am not mad and I'm not being rude. I am glad intuitive eating works for you. This website is a calorie counting website, and people are here to count calories in some form or fashion. This is a method that is proven to work 100% of the time when done correctly. Intuitive eating just can't produce the same results for everyone because there's no constant to measure against.

Again, you might find more like minded people on an intuitive eating website. You even anticipated that you might get a lot of 'hate' from your post-- so you clearly think people aren't going to agree with you. And you're right.... they won't. BECAUSE YOU'RE ON A CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE.

wait, we count calories here? I am just here for the punch and pie…where the hell is my punch and pie!!!!
  • Forthelittlewhitedress170
    Options
    Long story short. I don't count calories either - I hate it - but there isn't another good site (that I've come across at least) where I can get support and encouragement in an environment where we have similar goals. :)
  • Jadichick
    Jadichick Posts: 13
    Options
    That's food for thought! ( excuse the pun) . Actually, I like the way you think . It's refreshing . I never thought of it that way. I think that by counting calories etc it's replacing one addiction with another. However, maybe it's better to replace an obsession with food with counting calories, monitoring exercise etc. And everyone is different , what works for one person , may not work for another . Ones person's poison is another person's pleasure! I guess....... The key is.....whatever works for one, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
  • jessicakels
    Options

you did mention in your original post that those of us that count calories are "slaves" which is rhetoric that is not really necessary...

I actually did not say that people who count calories are slaves. I said that I refuse to become a slave to my food. Because when I count calories, I become obsessive and I feel burdened by it. Please read more carefully.
  • jessicakels
    Options

Actually, a lot of people have agreed that it can work. It's not for everybody and I didn't say it was. I don't think just because it's a calorie counting website that's all I can speak about or offer.

And yes, you are being kind of rude. Proven by your caps lock instead of calmly replying or offering your opinion. As I said earlier, it's not my way or the highway. But clearly, that's what you live by.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I actually did not say that people who count calories are slaves. I said that I refuse to become a slave to my food. Because when I count calories, I become obsessive and I feel burdened by it. Please read more carefully.

the implication being that people who do count calories are slaves to food ….
  • jessicakels
    Options
    That's food for thought! ( excuse the pun) . Actually, I like the way you think . It's refreshing . I never thought of it that way. I think that by counting calories etc it's replacing one addiction with another. However, maybe it's better to replace an obsession with food with counting calories, monitoring exercise etc. And everyone is different , what works for one person , may not work for another . Ones person's poison is another person's pleasure! I guess....... The key is.....whatever works for one, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Quite true! It's not for everyone, but I figured it was worth mentioning for people who feel that, for them, counting calories becomes an obsessive habit.

And I agree, if what works for you is providing results, don't change! Just offering up a different perspective.
  • jessicakels
    Options

Not at all. You're seeing/reading what you want to.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Actually, a lot of people have agreed that it can work. It's not for everybody and I didn't say it was. I don't think just because it's a calorie counting website that's all I can speak about or offer.

And yes, you are being kind of rude. Proven by your caps lock instead of calmly replying or offering your opinion. As I said earlier, it's not my way or the highway. But clearly, that's what you live by.

LOL you post on a calorie counting site about "intuitive eating" and then *gasp* when people disagree with you they are immediately labeled "rude"….legit critique….
  • ndj1979
    Options

no, I am reading what you wrote and then extrapolating…that is called "reading comprehension"
  • jessicakels
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who offered up an opinion in a respectful way! I certainly don't think my method is for everyone, but it's something to think about if calorie counting stresses anyone else out the way it did for me when I did it once upon a time.

This post served its purpose and I have no interest in arguing with those who refuse to see things outside of their narrow little box.

Goodnight everyone!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

lulz.

You have a very skewed view of rude.

I was actually extremely calm as I typed my response, thus replying and offering my opinion.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

no, I am reading what you wrote and then extrapolating…that is called "reading comprehension"

I'm pretty sure we don't allow that here.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm pretty sure we don't allow that here.

is that in the forum rules..?

I am really just here for punch and pie dammit!