logging food from personal recipes

Options
maxloch
maxloch Posts: 5 Member
is there a way to log in food from recipes that I have without having to type the whole recipe in... I have tons of healthy cooking recipe books and they almost all have the calories, fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbs, fiber, protein, etc. listed. I'm hoping that there is a way I could type in the name of the recipe and then fill in the blanks on the nutritional value -- instead of typing in the whole recipe.

any suggestions on a quicker easier way to do this would be helpful....

thanks.

Replies

• silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My Foods -> Create new food

This will let you create a food item with the nutritional info yourself rather than a recipe.

Edit: phone autocorrect *sigh*
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    if you follow the recipe exactly so it has the same nutrition facts then just make a food in the database, you can select to have it only available to you too if you want. Then you just have to put in the nutrition facts and the name.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    was wondering the same thing...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    On the top menu bar >>>> click on FOOD then click on RECIPES - click on ENTER A NEW RECIPE (right side of the screen you may have to scroll down a bit)

Enter your recipe and how many servings and save.

When you go to add the recipe to your diary - click on RECIPES and find it in your list and you can add one serving.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Food > My Foods > Create Food

I do this myself. I find it easier to calculate all the calories and macros of a dish together after weighing each ingredient, as inputting each ingredient in addition to weighing it is just too much of a hassle.

There is a recipes tab as well, but I prefer to add my meals with the "create food" feature as one standing food item, as I prefer to manually add my ingredients as opposed to using the MFP database.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Just create the item under my foods tab.
  • maxloch
    maxloch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the help.... I knew there must be a simpler way than typing in a whole recipe. especially -- since this recipe was not so good and goes into the "i'll eat it this time but won't make it again pile".
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is truly amazing to discover how many recipes are actually already in the database. Things from my Betty Crocker cookbook. Things from Cooking Light magazine. So it is possible that your recipe may be here. If all the info is listed on the recipe, I'd just enter the name and the nutrition info.