Almond Milk

Options
I used to drink fat free milk till I came to the point of not being able to handle anymore. Yay lactose intolerance.. Any who I made the switch and now drink almond milk. I just find it to be to thick, has anyone tried adding water to it? I am a big cereal eater and not sure how it would taste half water half milk. I figured kind of like how you water down juice for little kids. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears. :)

Replies

• FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i love almond milk.. i use blue diamond.. its not real thick.. i also love coconut milk.. im dairy free over a year now.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I agree, almond milk is thicker than regular milk but I don't eat cereal ... it's awesome for smoothies and protein shakes bc it is thick and creamy.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are but I've been able to find lactose free milk in my grocery stores. Have you tried that? I'm lactose intolerant too. I did have a problem with the lactose free milk versions that were "calcium fortified" so I stopped buying the ones that said that. I don't eat cereal much either so I've never tried it with almond milk. But I do love my dark chocolate almond milk... it's yummy! :love:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I dont drink it. It is unnatural.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I get the original unsweetened kind. I don't see a problem with watering it down or you could only have a half cup. i love it so i don't see the problem but yes if you are used to drinking skim refular milf which tastes watered down to me then do it. :drinker:
  • Stephyyy03
    Options
    Well I gave it a try and it's not to bad. And I figured if Ido this from now on eating cereal i will save on money since it's so expensive! Thanks guys for your answers! :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Watch the ingredient list...most almond milks are nothing but a load of thickening agents with little nutrition, other than the vitamins/minerals it was fortified with.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have just started using Blue Diamond Almond Vanilla Milk (30 calories per cup) . I just had it on cereal this morning and it tasted fine to me. I don't eat cereal as much as I used to but I enjoyed it with the almond milk vs my usual skim milk. It is really expensive compared to a gallon of skim milk but since my kids won't likely drink it, I'll have the entire half gallon to myself! I noticed they also Blue Diamond Almond milk at Costco and it would be cheaper to buy it that way but I don't think I'd be able to go thru the three half-gallons you'd have to get before the expiration date.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up for Almond Milk!
  • ginny52212
    ginny52212 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to almond milk, but I really like it on my cereal...no need to add sweetner of any kind. I know price is an issue, but in my process of getting to a healthier state, when I compare the cost of illnesses, ie; diabetes, and other illnesses, the cost is way less. I have to remind myself of that though when going through the check out. :)
  • norv87
    norv87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Got to love Almond milk. Always use it in my Protein Crepes, great start to the day :)
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    I drink it because I am lactose intolerant and I feel bad for the cows on the farms. I get the Silk True Almond unsweetened original. It tastes good and not too thick. The only problem with it is 1 gram of protein it needs more protein
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I love almond milk....I have it on my oatmeal in the morning or in my protein shakes.....I use mainly Silk unsweetened almond milk.....but I have also used Earth's Own unsweetened.....it is a little thinner than the Silk.....but both are great.....
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Love almond milk here :-) and yes you can easily water it down
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options
    I drink Blue Diamond Almond Milk. I used to drink the Original Sweetened, but I've since switched to Unsweetened Vanilla. It's takes a time to get used to it, but it's great with cereal and cooking.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned with what goes in to the almond milk, make your own. It is easy and you can make almond flour out of the solids left over.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned with what goes in to the almond milk, make your own. It is easy and you can make almond flour out of the solids left over.

Agree, and it's ridiculously easy to make at home. All you need is a blender, water, and a strainer or cheesecloth (personally I use a mesh paint strainer that I ran through the washing machine before I used it the first time. You can buy straining cloths "specially made" for making almond milk but they cost close to $12 EACH depending on your source - the paint strainer works just as well and is under $2 for a 2-pack at Home Depot)