MPF Calories Vs. Body Fat Scale.. Please help?

megsta21
megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I brought a new scale yesterday... Its pretty nifty! The original Sticker price was $100.00, it had been reduced to $70 then was on sale for 1/2 price!!! Bargain!! $100 scale for $35!!! Gotta be happy with that!! Im telling you this to let you know I brought a pretty good one...not a cheapie!

Now... it has posed me a bit of a dilemma... my "BMR" as calculated by my new scale is SOOOO DIFFERENT compared to what MFP Calulates for me...

MFP - 1,679 Cals
Scale - 2,322 Cals

I think this might be because MFP doesnt take into account how much muscle I have.... I already knew I had a fair bit of muscle hiding under a large layer of fat. I am a bigger girl but not as big as most women would be at 92 kgs (202lbs) and 5'6"... I am a size 18.

I also know that Muscle cells use more calories than fat cells!! So I need help....

I am eating most of my cals, most days and havent been losing much at all... is it possible Im still in starvation mode when I am eating between 1,400-1,700 on a resting day, and eating 50-75% of exercise cals...

According to my new scale I have the following percentages:

Water..................53.8%
Body Fat.............32.8%
Bone...................9.9%
Muscle................25.3%
(I know they dont add up to 100%, but are they supposed to?)

So what I want to know is do I split the difference between the two caloric intakes?? Keep eating only what MFP says? OR increase my caloric intake to what the scale says??

Please help... any ideas / information would be great....

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    I say stick with what MFP gives you- I have been and it's been working. I've got a LOT of muscle too and when I was at 250lbs it had me eating 1700+ as long as I was truly eating those cals I lost weight and I've done it at a pretty decent clip.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    It should be a lot closer to 100% than that. The water one seems a bit odd. There is water stored in Muscle and Fat cells but it should still ad up to 100% I know mine does (or very close)

Had you had a large glass of water or done a lot of exercise prior to using it?

If so use it first thing in the morning and after you have used the bathroom and see if the figures change at all?

Your current calories seem pretty good and certainly shouldn't have you in starvation mode.
  • megsta21
    OK thanks!!!! I appreciate the feedback!!!

fxst78, Yes i did have some water beforehand... when I weighed in yesterday. I measured myself again this morning but didnt write down the stats... tomorrow morning I think ill write down the stats... =)
  • You always have they most interesting posts, even when you're asking a question. Also consider when you tell MFP that you want to lose weight it sets you up with a deficit reflected in lower goal calories. If you told MFP that you wanted to maintain then it would give you maybe 500 more/day. Since you have lost 4 kg since mid-July that is almost 9 lbs. (2.2kg=1lb). A good rate to lose is 1/2 - 1 lb/ week. You are right on track. Keep going, you are doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • megsta21
    Nawww thanks Rosemary.... yeah the MFP cals I was talking about was what it calculates as my BMR... not what it tells me to eat.... ehehehe

It says I use 1679 cals if I was to maintain my weight and not do any exercise... to lose weight it tells me to Eat 1600....
This discussion has been closed.