Kettlebells... Love em, hate em?

Options
I need something fun and engaging for an upper body workout. I like a moving work out, not real into repetitive lifting just for the sake of lifting (the exercise or the results). I Love HIIT and body weight exercises and the functional muscle they build, but I was in a bad accident a few years ago and shattered my right hand very badly. 5 titanium plates, severed muscle, ruined tendons and missing bone later I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly to do now that I'm finally serious about getting back in shape. I can't do most body weight exercises, especially ones that involve impact on my hand (like a burpee). My hand is very sensitive to pressure, I also have muscle damage up my arm (main muscles along forearm were severed to the bone). I'm running for lower body (got the best results ever from running prior to getting hit), need something to balance upper body.

I do just fine with hand weights, but they're so boring. I don't think I'd have any issues holding a kettlebell, especially for two handed moves. I've never tried using them though (aside from playing with them at stores) so I'm curious what advice y'all would offer someone contemplating giving them a try. I watched a couple kettlebell workouts on fitness blender and I have some Kettleworx DVDs. I like that the workouts are strength and movement combined.

Input? And ummm, has anyone ever had one go flying? I can't help but visualize a move gone wrong and a stray kettlebell flying through a wall....