how much weight lifting should I be doing?

Options
Hi, so I've been doing cardio for a bit now and have actually lost 5 kg in the last 2 months. Now that's nowhere near my weight loss goals but I want to start introducing weight lifting to boost my metabolism and hopefully start building some muscle. Right now I'm doing 30-45 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of weight training should I increase/decrease this? Will this help with weight loss too?

Replies

• kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How often a week are you doing the cardio? You don't want to overdue it at the beginning. Try weight lifting twice a week and up your time to 30 min if you can. But do this gradually. You could try for two sets and twelve reps per exercise. Use light weights and focus on form. This is the most important thing. You could also try body weight exercises like push ups, squats, lunges, planks and pull ups to build strength. They will work just as effectively. Enlist help from a trainer to assure you have proper form or check out some videos to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly. I like workout videos from fitnessblender.com. They have kettlebells, HIIT training, dumbbells, etc and are extremely helpful and clear with instruction.

Best of luck to you and reaching your goals! Hope I helped!