New to weight lifting... Have some questions

Options
First, let me say that you have all inspired me with the many threads on lifting. I have researched and looked into strong lifts 5x5 as so many of you have recommended. I have 2 specific questions and an overall feeling of "unsure ness" :) about starting. I am 33 y/o. 5'7" 161lbs. I have always been active and have had an athletic build that is becoming "softer" with children and age.

So, my questions: squatting is supposedly key to building a strong foundation. I had major reconstructive knee surgeries (both knees) 18 years ago that prohibit me from doing squats. Do I just skip that but do everything else or replace it with something else?

Second question: my 3rd baby is 2.5 months old. I am at prepregnancy weight and am breast feeding. Does anyone know whether I should wait another 3 months or so to begin lifting so as not to affect fat content and milk production?

Thanks for your help and insights.

Replies

• Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Anybody? Can't find answers to these questions
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    These are both relatively specific questions that are hard to answer without firsthand knowledge. Squats are the cornerstone of the program, but any exercise can be replaced. But with what, we can't tell you because we have no idea what your knees can tolerate.

For the second question, there's no reason to wait *unless your caregiver has indicated that there is reason to wait*. If they haven't given you any restrictions you're probably good to go, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and see if they have any concerns.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    These are both relatively specific questions that are hard to answer without firsthand knowledge. Squats are the cornerstone of the program, but any exercise can be replaced. But with what, we can't tell you because we have no idea what your knees can tolerate.

For the second question, there's no reason to wait *unless your caregiver has indicated that there is reason to wait*. If they haven't given you any restrictions you're probably good to go, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and see if they have any concerns.
    This ^^
    Typically squats strengthen the knees...if done properly...might want to check with a sports medicine physician in conjunction with a sports physical therapist. Starting with just body squats and then moving to goblet and finally a bar may be possible. It may bring new life into your knees. I stress sports physician and sports PT because they have a different philosophy. I've had many friends that have refused to accept the fact that they will, 'never walk again', 'never run again' , never do this or that, because of progressive doctors and PTs and their own strength of will.

As DavPul said, check with your caregiver and just remember to up your macros if you do work out. I can't think of any of my friend's wives that stopped working out till almost when the baby was due.
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've been searching for years for something to replace squats. I was told I'd never run again and walk with a gimp. Neither have been true but that was 18 years ago. Now I have super bad arthritis in both knees. They blow up super easily and always hurt but I am still pretty active. I will def check with a sports med physician. Pt told me years ago never to do the leg lift machine or any similar exercizes and to avoid running. Was told I would need full replacements bt 30 and 40 (which is now) but am trying to hold on to them for as long as I can