Night runners, yo!

Options
So...when I am actually on a regular running schedule, I tend to end up running sometime after midnight. Today, for example, my run was between 1:30 am and 2 am (it's currently 2:40 am). I live on a campus that I feel safe enough being out as a lone woman at night on, and because I tend to either be studying, with friends, or in lectures during the day time, it's almost always night time by the time I actually get up and go for a run. When the sun's up I always feel like I ought to be doing something else (not that I necessarily do...) so I don't run.

I can run during the day time - over December/January, when my schedule went to pot, I went for an hour's run in the middle of one of the days. But I do find, now, that around 11 pm I start feeling my body getting ready for a run, or feeling the urge to just start running, that sort of thing. It's cool.

I was wondering how many other people here go for runs at such ridiculous times in the night. And if anyone has shifted from being a morning to a night runner, or vice versa.

Replies

• Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No one?
  • drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I usually ride at night, especially during the winter. It's way easier for me to stay out late to get in the miles that to get up early enough to to it before work.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    too scary for me! It's gotta AT LEAST be daytime, and then I still wear bright neon/fluorescent colors and cover up with reflective tape.
  • Fiveling
    Options
    I suppose it's the benefit of being able to safely run on campus, where the are hardly any cars at midnight (or other people, though once I was running round a little wooded area here and another jogger went past and that gave me such a fright!).

And yeah, I feel you about it being easier to stay up late than get up earlier. I wonder why that is - inertia, probably.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I run in the evening, but I tend to stick to pavements in populated area's, don't think there's anywhere I would feel safe enough to be out on my own after midnight, my other concern would be injury, earlier in the evening there would be more people likely to be passing if you ended up injured (I never gave this a thought until 18mnths ago when I was walking the dog on the beach on my own, took 1 stride running and tore a muscle in my calf, no phone signal, no one else on the beach, took me over 50min to hobble back to the car).
    I always take my dog with me as well, even in the day-time if I'm running in the woods, he's large enough to make people think twice (very friendly unless I'm feeling threatened, then you have a 52kg ridgeback planting itself between the other person and myself)!!

i do prefer to run in the evening though, I could get up earlier but I feel that by evening I have fueled myself enough and find it easier from an energy point of view.
  • Fiveling
    Options
    Injury is a point I didn't consider. I guess if I tripped over, even on a student campus there wouldn't be that many people out at 2 am. But I do always take me phone with me so I can call for help if need be (plus it has my Zombies Run on it! :P)