low calorie restaurants?

Options
ok something that really bugs me is that every single restaurant seems to have a gross amount of calories for every item on its menu. like i can't be the only one who thinks its a problem that 700-800 is considered modest by most of these restaurants standards

so i'm looking for restaurants that for the most part do not have super calorie foods. some place i can go where i can expect to consume no more than 400 calories in a single sitting.

also i know that "it all depends on making smart choices" and i'm really not trying to come off as a lazy dieter i just want to find some place where i can eat out and not be limited to meals that often can go over my daily caloric limit on their own!!!

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is an oxymoron if i've ever heard one. Restaurants love to use the high calorie density foods that people love to spend money on. Most restaurants have a low calorie option..... until you add the salad dressing.
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just went to Longhorn Steakhouse yesterday and had an entire meal for under 300 calories. The Spinach Feta Chicken with mixed veggies (lunch portion) was amazing! The chicken was only 220 calories.
  • danamyfitnesspal
    Options
    eat at Seasons 52….nothing on the menu has more then 475 cals and their website gives detailed cal counts for u to review…located in several states california florida arizona…check website
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I like Saladworks... but it's still high calorie for a salad. I think you will have better choices at sit-down type resturants for healthy/low calorie items...

You can get 3 chicken soft tacos at taco bell fresco style for under 400 calories...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Cook your own food.
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    IHOP, Perkins, Applebee's all have lower calorie options.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The lowest calorie restaurants tend to have the highest prices (small portion sizes).

That out of the way - some restaurant tips are:

1. Ask for dressings on the side that way you can control the amount
    2. Shared meals - If servings are large many restaurants it is not an unusual request to have an extra plate (I normally make sure we order more than one course if we are going to share plates)
    3. Grilled vs fried - I usually look for grilled good protein sources that I would not usually eat / prepare at home everyone at home generally don't like fish so I get my fish fix when out
    4. Entree size: Do they do mains in a smaller version "Entree sizes" - It may cost overall a little more but we have ordered 3 entree meals sometimes instead of a main and used these as shared plates.
    5. Smart choices: Ask questions if you want details choose roast veggies over chips. Bread or pasta can be a large part of those calories - leave some pasta in the bowl and skip the dinner roll you probably did not want it anyhow. There are lots of way of shaving back a few hundred calories.

Otherwise if you know you are going to a restaurant - just budget it in to your plan. You can eat less on the lead in or out (average cals over 48 hours instead of 24). the most important thing is to enjoy your night out and not stress about the calories. It is the overall average effect that will win out in the end not just a restaurant night.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    400 calories is not a reasonable lunch or dinner, unless you spend all day in bed.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    KFC
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    applebees, Tijuana flats, subway, Chinese grill, any steak house, ..........pretty much if they have a website that has the nutritional value for the food then its low cal and easy to find what you can eat. i eat everywhere. but the ones i named are my usual go tos on the weekends. we go out a lot. i just preplan for it.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    400 calories is not a reasonable lunch or dinner, unless you spend all day in bed.

Uhhhhh...

y23Q27K.gif

(edited to get picture to work)
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Qdoba has good low-calorie options, and on its website, it even has an interactive program to help you plan your meal based on what toppings you might choose (e.g. it shows what happens if you add cheese or guacamole or whatever).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I don't think it's unreasonable, especially if you've been chowing down or snacking all day and run out of calories. For me, personally, 400 for dinner is really low. I'd get home and think, "Now then, what's for dinner?" :laugh:
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Just pick a meal and then substitute things to bring it down to the cal count you want. For instance, a Chef Salad at Denny's minus the cheese and chicken (keep the ham, bacon, egg, and olives) is 220 cals.. plus 100 cals for 2 TB of dressing? You're under 400. Or a grilled chicken breast with a side of Broccoli. 6oz steak w/ side of veggies... etc. Just cut out the stuff that is higher in cals like mashed potatoes or french fries.

Or like someone else said, cook at home. Much less expensive and far more healthy.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    That's hard to come by.

Restaurants make money by having tasty food. Tasty food is calorie dense. If you own a restaurant, you depend on people liking your food, and taste is always, always, always going to trump calorie count in the concern department.

With that said, it is usually cheaper and likely healthier to cook for yourself.

If you know you are going out to a restaurant, save yourself some calories. It's the only way for me to survive.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    All of them really, I have not been cooking as much as I'd like the last 2 weeks, but I just look on the websites and go from there.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to work out more when I know I'm going out so that I can enjoy myself. But like on vacation, get the 800 calorie choice and only eat half of it; split it or take the leftovers home. Fajitas are great because you can just eat the veggies and meat with a fork and leave out the tortilla calories. Either way drink lots of water. I haven't found a single low sodium option. Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Restaurants don't make their money that way. They make money on people that eat more food. Most have gotten much better and do offer enough options so you can walk out under 600 calories. But for a restaurant to be all low calorie would not be a real successful business plan.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    split your order in half. take half home- eat half then.

bam- low calorie option.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden. I like to get the Minestone soup and I also get the salad dressing for the salad on the side.