I'M NOT A FAN OF VEGGIES, HELP !!!!!!

Options

Replies

• JasmineBarri
    Options
    Have you tried roasting your vegetables? It honestly changes them up and you might be surprised. I've never been a huge fan of cooked veggies either but I've found that roasting them in my oven has turned me in to a fan of even brussels sprouts.

No I haven't how can I do that, like what temp, how long what kind of spices can I add or not ?

I just have absolutely NOOOO idea about veggies lol .

The quickest roast veggies you can do is sweet potato and onion - yes onion! Oven / BBQ with hood - now this is how I do it 185 deg C (365 F) - coat them with a little oil (I use olive oil but you can use butter or any even vegetable oil) you can salt them a little and sprinkle with herbs. If you have a roasting tray with rack place them on this and oven for around 20 - 30 mins or until you notice the sweet potato starting to go a little brown from roasting - dead simple. Do the onions whole and the sweet potato 2 inch chunks.

For normal potatoes I generally cheat a little - I microwave them first in a microwave bowl with lid (vented) with a little oil (I use olive oil) until they are partially cooked (you don't want them falling apart) maybe like 5 - 10 mins. Once "hot" I add herbs / salt to taste and shake the potatoes (just circular rotations on the bench is fine you just want to coat the potatoes with the oil and salt / herbs) - caution they are hot :) This also ruffs up the potato for a more crispy

Same as above on an oven roast rack / tray but a little longer say 35mins at 365 F or until you see browning. If they are firm when you eat them roast for longer next time they should be fluffy on the inside.

I just might try the sweet potato, I'm looking forward to trying new things :D
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    add extra bell peppers, onion, garlic and tomatoes to your pasta sauce
    add leftover veggies from dinner to your scrambled eggs
    drink vegetable juice, try green juice from the health food store
    eat celery sticks filled with dip, peanut butter or tuna salad
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    "Veggies" is a big food group! Wiki has a list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_vegetables

Then there is the preparation method and whether you flavoured them in any way. Before you write veggies off entirely consider Preparation methods:

Boiling: Used for mash - potato / Yam / sweet potato or pumpkin.
    Roast: This makes veggies sweeter as it breaks the starches to sugars. Onion, Garlic, Potato (Sweet / traditional), beetroot
    Steamed: eg. Beans, leafy veggies, carrots, asparagus - where you want some crispness left in them and not turned to a limp mess.

How long should I boil/roast/steam them ?

Use flavours to your liking: honey or herbs etc...

I would be surprised if you hand on heart cannot find any veggies that you like. Many people think you can only boil them and they ruin them (especially peas - I prefer sweet peas personally :)

Yes you can mash them down into a puree drink - if you do try tomato juice with a touch salt of ground pepper :)

Boiling for potatos - mash - until you cannot pick up the chunks with a fork - strain off the water before you mash, you can microwave the potatos first to get them started but if you are heating in boiling water add them to the water when it is still cold. When you mash you can add milk, butter a pinch of salt and cheese - mmm (among other things). It will be easier to mash if you peel them first and I prefer a "rough mash" but you can mash to a puree consistency. For 6 potatoes butter say around 1 tablespoon butter, pinch salt and add milk "dash - around 50ml at at time until you get a paste consistency it should be able to hold its shape and not be runny traditionally it should not have big chunks in it.

For steaming - you want the veggies to keep their colour around 5mins or 3mins in a microwave type steamer. They should still be bright in colour have some crunch but not feel raw.

Spices - For now if in doubt just use a little salt (preferably rock salt not table salt). The kitchen staple spice mix is "Mixed herbs" - a mix of marjoram, basil, oregano and thyme; what flavours do you like just look through the spice rack at the super market - you cannot go wrong if you get what you like? Here are some examples: http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Herbs-and-Spices/Blends otherwise you might like a little chilli also.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting your vegetables? It honestly changes them up and you might be surprised. I've never been a huge fan of cooked veggies either but I've found that roasting them in my oven has turned me in to a fan of even brussels sprouts.

No I haven't how can I do that, like what temp, how long what kind of spices can I add or not ?

The quickest roast veggies you can do is sweet potato and onion - yes onion! Oven / BBQ with hood - now this is how I do it 185 deg C (365 F) - coat them with a little oil (I use olive oil but you can use butter or any even vegetable oil) you can salt them a little and sprinkle with herbs. If you have a roasting tray with rack place them on this and oven for around 20 - 30 mins or until you notice the sweet potato starting to go a little brown from roasting - dead simple. Do the onions whole and the sweet potato 2 inch chunks.

For normal potatoes I generally cheat a little - I microwave them first in a microwave bowl with lid (vented) with a little oil (I use olive oil) until they are partially cooked (you don't want them falling apart) maybe like 5 - 10 mins. Once "hot" I add herbs / salt to taste and shake the potatoes (just circular rotations on the bench is fine you just want to coat the potatoes with the oil and salt / herbs) - caution they are hot :) This also ruffs up the potato for a more crispy

Same as above on an oven roast rack / tray but a little longer say 35mins at 365 F or until you see browning. If they are firm when you eat them roast for longer next time they should be fluffy on the inside.

I just might try the sweet potato, I'm looking forward to trying new things :D

...If you like sweet potato also pumpkin is a fast roaster.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    There are lots of salad recipes out there, if you're good with lettuce maybe just try messing around with salads and salad dressings you like. I like to mix a bunch of different lettuces in my salad i like getting the nutrition from leafy greens but with the crunch of iceberg mixed in. try making your own salad dressings, that can make a big difference. also one more thing about salads - consider that you can add a bunch of healthy things to your salads that aren't necessarily veggies like nuts, beans, cheeses, fruit (dried or fresh) which can help them feel more like a meal and take away from the veggie dominance

other ideas
    - roasted sweet potato fries with a homemade dip
    - roasted cauliflower or butternut squash or asparagus (if you can stomach those) they are all veggies that are significantly better roasted
    - when in doubt add salt and a smidge of butter. sounds crazy when your trying to diet but it can be seriously helpful when you are stretching your veggie boundaries

also if you really are feeling motivated to broaden your horizons follow the one bite rule. Many peoples disdain for veggies come from either improper cooking or more likely just our perception that we will not like it. You have labelled yourself as a veggie hater and you'd be surprised that if you force yourself to just try one tiny bite with an open mind you may find your tastes have changed over the years and that you might actually like some other veggies :)

Good luck and always check the internet for recipes there are TONS
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    "Veggies" is a big food group! Wiki has a list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_vegetables

Then there is the preparation method and whether you flavoured them in any way. Before you write veggies off entirely consider Preparation methods:

Boiling: Used for mash - potato / Yam / sweet potato or pumpkin.
    Roast: This makes veggies sweeter as it breaks the starches to sugars. Onion, Garlic, Potato (Sweet / traditional), beetroot
    Steamed: eg. Beans, leafy veggies, carrots, asparagus - where you want some crispness left in them and not turned to a limp mess.

Use flavours to your liking: honey or herbs etc...

I would be surprised if you hand on heart cannot find any veggies that you like. Many people think you can only boil them and they ruin them (especially peas - I prefer sweet peas personally :)

Yes you can mash them down into a puree drink - if you do try tomato juice with a touch salt of ground pepper :)
    some good ideas... thanks for sharing and thanks to Wiki as well.:tongue:

OP...how about tomatoes? They are actually a fruit but taste good with so many things mixed with them. Do you eat pasta sauce? How about pureeing veggies and making your sauce like that next time. It might introduce you to veggies you never realized you'd enjoy. I think going raw when you don't care for veggies might be tricky... maybe try the idea on cooking them first and eating them whole and then moving on from there?

You've never eaten a veggies you liked? Peas?? Carrots? None??? I see quite a number of posts on there sharing they hate veggies and have never ever eaten any. Growing up no one ever suggested or strongly encouraged or made you even take a bite? Sometimes it's force feeding when you're young that turns us off to certain foods.

Some work on food they think they dislike by adding something new each week. Sweet corn can be eaten in a variety of ways, in a salad, fresh on the cob... raw or cooked.

Hope you find something you enjoy... you're missing out on so much without veggies in your life. Not just healthy reasons but textures, flavors etc.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I shred carrots & put them in chili & potato soup. I shred zucchini or squash & add it to just about anything. I used to add cheese whiz to broccoli & cauliflower, now I can eat it with just pepper. Try everything again, you may find you don't hate veggies like you thought you did!
  • mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of different veggies, and am trying to branch out and try new things. I eat spinach almost every day and am afraid I'm going to burn out on it.

This week, I'm going to stir-fry some veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, snap peas, onion, and zucchini), probably with garlic and olive oil. I love adding spices that add flavor!! I always have garlic and chili (beware of some that have a lot of salt!!) or cayenne. I found that adding things that have a big flavor boost are the best for keeping the tastes from getting boring.

Like someone said earlier, I also like to add veggies to things like pasta sauce or chili (spinach and zuccini are my go-to's for that), as they don't really affect the taste.

For a flavorful salad, I love spinach with feta, cranberries/raspberries/strawberries, and walnuts/pecans. I use a vinagrette dressing - I usually only use about 1/2 a serving of the dressing b/c of the bite that it has. Just be sure that you are measuring things that add a lot of calories, sugar, or salt. Don't overdo a serving size!! I love adding fresh fruit, but sometimes use dried as well, but it does add a lot of sugar! I like to chop up the nuts, to make them go a little further.

I've been trying to make a point of trying a new veggie each week (or fixing it myself if I've had it before) to try it out!! And spring is just around the corner, so there will be plenty of choices out there!
  • hunniebunn
    hunniebunn Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, except I can't even do the fruit part. I would like to think its a hypersensitivity...
    That being said, I have entered into the wonderful world of juicing. I was a bit skeptical at first because if I don't want to eat them whole why am I going to want them in a juice. WRONG! I was pleasantly suprised how good some of these juices were...even the "green" ones. I started by mixing my more tolerable fruit (apples for the most part), and slowly began introducing new fruits and veggies into the mix the more I began to tolerate the juice. A nice green mix you can start with is; 3 apples, 3 celery stocks, 1 orange (peeled), 1/2 lemon (without rind), and 3-5 handfuls of spinach.
    You can always make smoothies too if you aren't ready to buy a juicer :)
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    Look into the book called 'FIT FOR LIFE' ....

I've really taken to the fruit for breakfast ... have abundance in South Africa and then i play around with different veg options for afternoon ... have plenty calories left for night so have more options. I also do quite intense gym sessions in the morning and have had no issues with energy with eating just fruit and veg during the day ....

G'luck but once you get into a routine all will be fine. Guess the biggest thing is moving away from wanting 'taste' ... once you clear this obstacle, reckon all is fine. Need to define food for functional purpose vs 'taste'
  • stronghealthywoman
    stronghealthywoman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So I'm in the process of trying to learn how to do clean eating, I've literally been on youtube for hours looking up different recipes and a lot of it has veggies and I've told my mom that I would like to get into trying them hoping that I would like them lol .

If you have any great clean meals can you let me know what they are, and what they include so I can try different things little by little rather than jumping straight into raw foods, please and thank you !!! :D

Great recipes that people have posted, but a great way of incorporating veggies you don't like...simple...juice them!!!!

There are veggies I don't like, so I juice them and I still drink my veggies....I hope it works for you...
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I made a smoothie last night with spinach, pineapple, kiwi, and a little banana with coconut water. I added equal parts spinach and pineapple, 1/3 kiwi and maybe a 1/4 banana and filled to the top with the coconut water. I mixed it up close to a juice and you couldn't taste the spinach at all.
    maybe you could sneak some spinach or kale into a smoothie?

In fact I was actually thinking of doing just that, but how much should I add ?

I'm a little new to this so I apologize for asking such silly questions lol .
  • juicednjuicy7
    juicednjuicy7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I NEVER, I MEAN NEVER USE TO BE A FAN OF VEGGIES UNTIL I DID A "5 DAY DETOX" PROVIDED BY NIKKI SHARP, IT WAS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE AND MAY I ADD IT HAD SO MANY VEGGIES THAT I NEVER TRIED. I STARTED OFF SLOW, I MADE MEALS OUT OF THE VEGGIES I LIKE MOST AND ADDED A TOUCH OF SEASONING, AFTER I GOT THE HANG OF IT I DECIDED TO TRY THROWING IN EGGPLANT, ZUCCHINIM SQUASH, RADISH, BRUSSELS I MEAN ALL KINDS! AND EVER SINCE MY BODY GOT USE TO IT, I LOVE IT, I BOUGHT A SPIRALIZER AND IT MAKES MY COOKING MUCH MORE FUN (ZUCCHINI PASTA) I HAVE A JUICER, TO MAKE JUICE WHEN I DONT FEELING LIKE CHOMPING DOWN FEELING LIKE A HORSE, I MIX CARROTS, BEETS, GINGER, APPLES, I MEAN EVERYTHING I THINK I MAY LIKE. TWO MAJOR THINGS I RECENTLY STARTED USING WAS THE BRAGGS LIQUID AMINO (SOY SAUCE) AND BRAGGS APPLE CIDER, THOSE TWO TOGETHER ARE EXPLOSIVE! I EVEN CREATED A SALAD DRESSING OUT OF IT, WHICH IS THE ONLY DRESSING I USE UNLES I WANT SOMETHING CEASAR-LIKE. USE YOUR IMAGINATION AND "FINAGLE THE BAGEL" ONE QUICK THING I LOVE TO DO THAT IS SO SIMPLE AND EASY IS THE ROASTED METHOD, KILLS TIME AND SAVES ENERGY!
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Meh, I have never been a huge fan of the extra eating styles (clean eating, vegan, protean).
    More calories out than in and you lose.
  • JasmineBarri
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, except I can't even do the fruit part. I would like to think its a hypersensitivity...
    That being said, I have entered into the wonderful world of juicing. I was a bit skeptical at first because if I don't want to eat them whole why am I going to want them in a juice. WRONG! I was pleasantly suprised how good some of these juices were...even the "green" ones. I started by mixing my more tolerable fruit (apples for the most part), and slowly began introducing new fruits and veggies into the mix the more I began to tolerate the juice. A nice green mix you can start with is; 3 apples, 3 celery stocks, 1 orange (peeled), 1/2 lemon (without rind), and 3-5 handfuls of spinach.
    You can always make smoothies too if you aren't ready to buy a juicer :)

Yes I found a website last night that includes many different recipes for green smoothies that include fruits and veggies, I'm very excited to trying them out, but I had a question, if I drink those does that take care of the veggie part that I'm suppose to be eating ? For example if I made a piece of skinless chicken can I make the green smoothie for my fruits and veggies that I should be eating with my dinner ?
  • lorfuent21
    lorfuent21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of veggies myself! What I've managed to do is buy local fruit/vegetable juices from a local store called Juicer Heroes. These juices have at least 1-3 pounds of produce per juice! This ensures that I'm getting the much needed vitamins/nutrients daily.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Try fruit smoothies with kale or spinach blended up in it. The smoothies tend to taste like fruit, but they give you some veggies.

Salads are a great way to get some veggies in. Along side the green leafy veg, you can put broccoli, radishes, carrots, cabbage, onions, or fruit.

Veggie soups are a fantastic way to get some veg in your life. You can make a veggie soup for dinner, and have it for lunch the next day.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I NEVER, I MEAN NEVER USE TO BE A FAN OF VEGGIES UNTIL I DID A "5 DAY DETOX" PROVIDED BY NIKKI SHARP, IT WAS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE AND MAY I ADD IT HAD SO MANY VEGGIES THAT I NEVER TRIED. I STARTED OFF SLOW, I MADE MEALS OUT OF THE VEGGIES I LIKE MOST AND ADDED A TOUCH OF SEASONING, AFTER I GOT THE HANG OF IT I DECIDED TO TRY THROWING IN EGGPLANT, ZUCCHINIM SQUASH, RADISH, BRUSSELS I MEAN ALL KINDS! AND EVER SINCE MY BODY GOT USE TO IT, I LOVE IT, I BOUGHT A SPIRALIZER AND IT MAKES MY COOKING MUCH MORE FUN (ZUCCHINI PASTA) I HAVE A JUICER, TO MAKE JUICE WHEN I DONT FEELING LIKE CHOMPING DOWN FEELING LIKE A HORSE, I MIX CARROTS, BEETS, GINGER, APPLES, I MEAN EVERYTHING I THINK I MAY LIKE. TWO MAJOR THINGS I RECENTLY STARTED USING WAS THE BRAGGS LIQUID AMINO (SOY SAUCE) AND BRAGGS APPLE CIDER, THOSE TWO TOGETHER ARE EXPLOSIVE! I EVEN CREATED A SALAD DRESSING OUT OF IT, WHICH IS THE ONLY DRESSING I USE UNLES I WANT SOMETHING CEASAR-LIKE. USE YOUR IMAGINATION AND "FINAGLE THE BAGEL" ONE QUICK THING I LOVE TO DO THAT IS SO SIMPLE AND EASY IS THE ROASTED METHOD, KILLS TIME AND SAVES ENERGY!

your caps lock is on.

OP, it looks to me like you have made INCREDIBLE progress (based on your profile pic).
    if you are getting all the nutrients you need, you don't necessarily HAVE to incorporate vegetables.
    some good suggestions in this thread though.
    hide them on pizza, in smoothies, pasta and sauce....the possibilities are endless.
    grab some of the hybrid juices....V8 makes several really good ones.
    or find a few that you can tolerate and learn to make them in such a way that you want to keep eating them.
  • amanda890813
    amanda890813 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

350 for 15-30 mins is a good temp. You just have to watch depending on what you're roasting. You can find some good charts on pinterest for specific times for specific veggies. You can add any spices! That's what really makes them yummy. I have a couple different go-to seasoning mixes. Olive oil (or some oil is a must so the seasoning sticks but then salt and pepper is an easy basic one. I have a garlic and onion mixture I like and a spicy one. If I use a seasoning marinade on my meat sometimes I'll sprinkle a little of the dry marinade seasoning on my veggies. Just hit the seasoning aisle and pick out a couple different premade season mixes. I'm not sure how that falls into the clean eating but they're great to change up the flavor of your veggies depending on what mood you're in. Or by what your main protein is.