Metabolism messed up?

Options
Hi everyone...
I recently started losing weight.
My maintenance is about 2400...
I'm female, 18, 5'2, weigh 250 pds (Started at 260).
I guess according to this site, i'm lightly active, although I'd consider myself more moderately active... I work out 4-5 times a week.

I initially started this hoping to lose over 100 pounds... to go from 260 to 160.
But after only allowing myself about 1600 cals a day for the past two and a half weeks (2 pd/week weight loss), I find that it's just not enough for me, and it's too difficult.

I've recently changed my goal to go from 250 to 200 pounds.
With this, I feel like I can have some more room to breathe... I feel better eating at 1900 cals a day as well with a 1 pound a week weight loss.

If I hit 200, and want to lose more, I'll re-evaluate later. I just feel like going from 260 to 200 is a BIG step towards a healthier me for right now. Definitely a more manageable goal.

My question is... based on the info I gave, will I still be able to lose weight if I go from 1600 cals to 1900 since I decided to re-evaluate?
Its only been about 2 and a half weeks since I began this...or will my metabolism have gotten too used to 1600 already?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I was first here I couldn't hit my target for more than 2 or 3 days. On the days I went over I felt awful.
    Then one day I realized that even a BAD DAY on MFP I was still doing better than I was before MFP.
    then i did some math and came up with a range. So i wouldn't have to hit 1 number every day.

This is what saved my life...
    ++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

As long as I stayed under the TOP OF RANGE I should still lose, slower, but still lose.
    As long as I stayed under the SAFETY VALVE I shouldn't gain.

Okay so I did the math for you...
    At your current weight losing 1 lb a week for you is 1830 cal and Maintaining your goal weight is 1820 cal.

I think I would go straight to 1820 cal.... You only have to reteach yourself how to eat once. Not once for losing and then again for maintenance. Just don't let MFP take more calories away from you as you lose weight.

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: 1820 cal*
    SAFETY VALVE: 2330 cal -- !!!!Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose!!!!!!

At first this might seem like a down side.... you'll lose pretty slowly.
    THE UPSIDE IS.... you'll lose pretty slowly
    REMEMBER: The slower you lose the more likely you are to keep off the weight. It's the long haul that is important. It's not the first one to the finish line that wins. It's the one who can be the healthiest the longest. YOLO.... you only get one body, no trade-ins. I want it to feel good, so I can go out and have fun for as long as I can.

I want to be capable and dance and run and swim and kayak and climb trees and backpack and throw my niece and nephews in the air. I don't want my body to stop me from living my life.

*Personally I'm better with a range than I am with a set number, I'd probably aim for between 1650-1820, my current strategy in maintenance is to give myself 100 deficit, because something always comes up.. a b'day party at work, a family get together... something and then I have a few calories to play around with for unplanned events.

Good Luck
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    no... your metabolism will not be messed up from 2 weeks of a calorie deficit.

you will lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. the rate of weight loss depends on the size your deficit. if you are more successful with a smaller deficit then I recommend you keep your calorie goal on the higher end. I think your mindset regarding going slow, making attainable goals, and leaving room to reevaluate later is very commendable!

however, remember that with a smaller deficit you have less room for margin of error. make sure you are weighing all solids with a food scale and measuring all liquids with measuring cups. be accurate in your logging and adjust where necessary.

here is some great info if you are interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

good luck OP!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism does not get used to eating less. Damage can happen if you are literally starving for long periods of time, not in two weeks and not at 1600 cals, do not worry. Also the final goal has nothing to do with how fast you lose. You can lose 1/2 lb per week for the next 4-5 years and be more than a 100 lbs thinner by the end, if this pace makes you feel more comfortable.