No sleep and stressful job woke up and binged on breakfast

Options
Hi all,

I had been on it,doing well, not starving myself but having protein bars for lunch (I love them) then having dinner with loads of veg, protein, small amount of carbs, low fat yogurt etc. We are going on holiday soon, so was motivated.

Yesterday, work was tough, my husband was stressed and my little one was up last night in the night and the night before then a six am start. I woke up in binge mode, when my LO asked to go downstairs I was just thinking "coffee" I ended up eating five, yes five big bowls of cereal, with sugar and jam,,, it was like hmmmm.I knew I would feel sick, have cramps and feel like my whole days is ruined. I did it anyway. Even part of me now, feels dead on my feet and wants to keep going, even thought I must be full!

I then reached into finishing off the baby cereal my LO was eating?!!!

I don't know how to focus for the rest of the day...any advice or support, I do know I am an idiot already and I know I'll regret this all badly later. I think making plans to avoid binge situations would be helpful but I didn't think i would binge on porridge, jam and honey then baby cereal! Tiredness is really tough.

Please any support, I feel like crying ... I feel broken.

Replies

• suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Oh, Dear One, please breathe and forgive yourself. You are exhausted and stressed and had an exhaustion/emotional eating binge. It doesn't need to define you or ruin your day. If it helps, what you ate was so comical that I laughed as I read it, and I was feeling a little low. I've noticed in the past that sleep deprivation triggers extreme hunger. Having raised 3 sons alone, it's no wonder that I got 75 pounds overweight. Anyway, keep up your spirits, in spite of your stress level and don't worry about your little cereal accident. It's all about what you eat on average, right?

:flowerforyou::laugh: :glasses:
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Suejoker,

Lol well the most bizarre thing is I binge on carbs and they can be healthy ones- I am a little odd! Thank you for your sweet words though. I'm rubbish with a lack of sleep (praying this little man will nap today.... where do they get their energy??).

It's really hard, when i start eating too much there is the huge urge to just keep eating anything, It feels nice at the time, like a warm hug....

Thanks again for posting- three boys alone!!!! I would be a bus..... ! Well done for losing 28lbs!!!!!
  • NewTriGirl41
    NewTriGirl41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its so hard to function when you are tired and you just needed comfort. Just put it behind you, don't let it ruin your day. Hope you get chance for a nap!
  • spcfowler18
    spcfowler18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That you had a little breakdown after such a stressful day is to expected. What I did (and recommend everyone does) is create a binge box in the cupboard. Fill it with healthy, low cal, filling things you love. Mine has lose granola, coconut water, jerky, nutigrain bars, nuts, and lots of dried fruits and trail mix. There are psychological studies that show exercising self control takes a physical strain on the body. Eventually your will power will give out and you will binge or indulge once in a while. The binge box just makes it so when I do break down, at least it is healthy food that I like. That's why every diet recommends cheat days occasionally. Don't feel bad. We may be humans, but every now and again we have to give into that animal desire to tear into something with our teeth.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You need to just move on from it mentally and not let it deter your progress. I have been so good but then went out for my friend's birthday last night. Drank a beer, ate some crab fries and fried chicken. I feel guilty about my binge but I am going to make up for it today by eating better all day. One bad meal does not need to undermine my progress or throw me off track. Just get back on track with your next meal! Don't wait until tomorrow.
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies and support. I think the binge box idea is great, my only worry with that is I may binge every day!

It's odd, I find daytime hard, but the evening I'm usually more excited to be healthy and motivated. This morning was horrendous, I did manage to get a two hour sleep in the day - hooray!!! It's amazing the effect of sleep.

I do need a strategy as I find when my moods are low I am frantically reaching for food. As soon as a I finished work yesterday I was munching everything in my bag I could fine, even apples! It's like I'm highly anxious and tired at the same time and my mind just says foooood.... or coffee.

Thank you all. Kitty I'm planning on having omelette with a massive salad for supper :-) You're right one bad meal is not the end of the world. Although I can eat a lot in one go!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    remember to talk to YOURSELF like you would anyone else you love... forgive and move on... we ALL do it in one form or another...hang in there.. you are not alone...
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Good luck surreychic! I hope you enjoyed your salad and omelette. :) I was a little better yesterday after my Tuesday night binge too. Just gotta keep the eye on the prize and move forward.