Wanted to start weight loss today but out at weekend?

Options
jadejo63
jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
I'm with family at the weekend so I know it's going to be hard and not going to be eating the smallest healthiest dinners, shall I still start today or wait til next week?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    weight loss is cumulative. Start right now.
  • puffinbrae
    puffinbrae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be something. Start now.
  • shorna_90
    Options
    It's better to have three healthy days and two days off than 5 unhealthy days
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Start now - as everyone says - there will always be something.
    I often have to visit and stay with family who eat quite rich food almost continually. I log and choose sensible portion sizes, avoiding nibbles between meals. I find it's easiest to not tell extended family I'm trying to eat sensibly; results in too many 'helpful' comments. I simply say 'No thank you' to nibbles etc and change the subject.
  • rmhmartin
    rmhmartin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Start now! Weekends and time with family will continue to happen and you'll need to learn how to manage it. Good luck!!
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Rule 1, no excuses! Start now.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm with family at the weekend so I know it's going to be hard and not going to be eating the smallest healthiest dinners, shall I still start today or wait til next week?
    ahh excuses we've all been there. There will always be some thing. Some reason that you can't count accurately that you need to leave it till next week. Daily life things happen it can never be perfect what happens at the next family event or occasion? You need to learn to eat sensibly and enjoy these things so you may as well start now as my guess is'tomorrow' or'next week' is why you're on mfp. Good luck.
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Start straight away. My PT got me to sign up on here so he could check my diet and my first day I had a birthday meal out at a really nice restaurant so I started off in the red. It really helped to focus.
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't a steady, constant, downward line. It's usually up and down with a gradual trend of downwardness :tongue: There'll always be birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, or just good old "bad" weekends. Just enjoy it! Long as you're doing it right the rest of the time you will see a steady decrease over time :smile: If you limit yourself you'll only make yourself miserable and liable to give up. Live a little :flowerforyou:
  • allysteven880
    Options
    Doing jogging and walking is the all day exercise. It can be also done at outdoor. So, try to maintain it. You will be continued on your weight loss journey.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Start today.

dont wait.

recognise that the good you can do before the weekend, will help with the weekend.

And good luck:smile:
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    The whole diet starts monday/I'll start at the weekend/I'll wait till New Year/tomorrow is such a load of bull in my opinion. There will ALWAYS be times you can put it off, and putting it off is why you are in this position now. Because you can't act now to change yourself without thinking "this is gonna get in the way" etc. Learn to tackle these weekends that can mess with your plans and you'll become a much better person for it, and see gains (losses) along the way.

TLDR? Get some balls.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    start with your weight loss now...this isn't a diet...it needs to be a life long way of eating and guess what life will happen all the time...between holidays, birthdays, vacations etc...

Choose to eat in such a way that you can live life while losing weight so when you get to your goal it is easy to maintain because you don't have to change much...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it right - and I know you'll want to - this will be a permanent lifestyle change. Therefore, there is no reason to wait any longer because there will always be things (aka excuses) coming up. This is good practice for you in dealing with real life scenarios while living a healthy lifestyle.

On special days, like this weekend, just eat at maintenance, but be sure to log for reference. You can eat a decent amount on maintenance calories so you won't have to miss out on anything. Just remember that your maintenance calories will decrease as you weigh less, so don't eat today's maintenance calories at a party held a year from now, or you'll actually be eating a surplus. Just eat at maintenance for whatever your current weight is. You might not make any progress on those days, but you won't do any damage, either. As long as the trend is moving in the right direction, you'll get there.

You can do this and still have fun, so why wait? Start NOW. :drinker:
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Start today and choose to eat less this weekend. You can still enjoy all the food with your family, just have a smaller portion. Always start today, even if you may have to start over again tomorrow. :)