Shoulder Pops During Strength Training

Options
echofm1
echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
So I do resistance band strength training a couple times a week and I noticed that when I do a rowing motion, like with seated rows or upright rows, there's a lot of popping in my shoulders. It's not painful, but it's lots of tiny pops and happens every time I move my arm back. Since noticing, I've tried it when I'm not using resistance bands and I get the same results.

Is this normal? Is there any reason to be concerned about it? Just thought I would check since it seemed weird that it happens every time I make that particular movement, but not during any other time in my arms/shoulders routine.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have had several injuries to my shoulders (torn rotary cuffs, sprains ,etc) back in my 20's and have rehabbed several times for those injuries. I too have cracking and popping when I lift, not all the time but during certain movements, same can be said with my knee's (which are bone on bone but that is a whole other story and yes that particular problem is painful 24/7 lol), My ortho doctor has told me that these noises are perfectly fine as long as I am not experiencing any pain which I am not.. He told me it could be scar tissue from past injuries healed or actually what I am hearing is worn cartilage that is no longer smooth. It is just alittle annoying when you are on the pec deck and every rep you hear a snap, crackle, and pop.... Just my 2 cents.... As long as you are not in pain or discomfort I think you are fine...... Best of Luck
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Unusual range of motion can do this. It's like cracking your fingers to make those "click, click" sounds what some people does on purpose. It's completely harmful. If it does not hurt and does not crate discomfort I would say it's fine.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    My shoulders have done that since I was a kid.