Intermittent Fasting - Help?

Options
As you guys can see from my sign up date, I've been here since January. From the 6th of that month till now, I've had absolutely no results eating at a deficit. I weighed all my food and logged every single thing I ate, and my lowest weight was still the first time I stepped on the scale on January 10th. Now before anyone asks, even if I had messed up on some calories or didn't weigh things properly, 1700 calories a day was way, WAY less than I ever ate before MFP (you're looking at someone who managed to fit 3000, 3500 calories into her diet daily just to feel full). So there's no reason I shouldn't have seen at least a pound or two difference. In addition to that, I originally signed up at work, so my starting weight was just my last known weight- hence it saying I've lost weight when I haven't). I used my weigh-in on the 10th of January as the measurement of progress. My body shape didn't change at all either. No miraculously fitting old clothes or appreciating what I saw in the mirror.

But I've decided not to totally give up on this whole lifestyle change. I am determined to be the better, stronger me that I proved I could be just by sticking with this as long as I did. I just think maybe I should change things up.

So I did a little research on intermittent fasting, and thought that that might be the solution. I've decided to go with the 5:2 plan (any more frequent fasting and my parents- who are already unsupportive- would probably freak) and was hoping there are some people here who might be able to talk me through it. I've never attempted any kind of fast before- apart from between dinner and breakfast- and I really want to be able to make this work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi

You've mentioned you log your food, but the last several days of your diary are empty.

What is your current macro split?

And have you been adding an exercise routine into your weight loss program?

IF dieting is good and how you have your macro split MIGHT make the experience easier or more difficult.

Cheer.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Like most things with weight loss, IF is just another way to restrict your calories. When I did this, I simplified it and just ate a normal dinner around 7:00pm and then not eating until the next day at lunch. That's 16 hours of and 8 hours of eating window. This works out nice because most people don't notice. You can still enjoy your dinner with friends and most people don't think it's odd to skip breakfast.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The last few days of my diary are empty because I've been waffling with this idea for a while, and haven't really been focusing on my diary. That's my own fault, and I apologize for that.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but what is a macro split? And no, I haven't started adding exercise yet. I was told that that was something you added in later because suddenly changing your entire food lifestyle AND going to the gym when you haven't before can be overwhelming.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your BMR (Under Apps at the top) to see an approximate amount of how many calories you use by, well, living?

My BMR is about 1900 at the moment and, from all the things I've read around here, you shouldn't really go under that as it can inhibit weight loss significantly, but just keep reducing calories every loss based on your new BMR.

May not be entirely accurate, as I've not been around long enough, but it's a nice number to know anyway. One of the awesome number crunchers round here should be able to give you a better idea of what you need to do with the BMR figure.
  • wijody
    wijody Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    And no, I haven't started adding exercise yet. I was told that that was something you added in later because suddenly changing your entire food lifestyle AND going to the gym when you haven't before can be overwhelming.

What about walking? Simply taking a 2-mile (brisk) walk with an iPod each day can really help your weight loss. Most of those dieting shows always have people going to the 'GYM' ... as someone who exercises daily and HATES the idea of a 'GYM', I just SMH at that whole thing. Going to the gym and lifting can be painful and 'drudgery' and you're right, trying to start that right away can be overwhelming, but adding a walk should be relaxing - time to think and all that. (Not to say your ultimate goal shouldn't contain lifting weights - definitely! But I wouldn't START there when you've got weight to lose - my personal opinion)

As for IF - the 5/2 split is VERY intense. I would NOT recommend starting with that! I would start with either pushing off breakfast or eating dinner early - whichever works better for your lifestyle (most prefer skipping breakfast but I personally eat breakfast and eat dinner early or skip it). Start by simply eating nothing after dinner and cutting down on snacks or stopping snacking between meals - to start to learn to deal with hunger. After you've mastered that, then you can start to implement 14-16 hour fasts a couple of times per week. Then after you can do that, THEN maybe try the 5:2. I've been doing IF on/off since 2004 and I still find it hard to do more than 18-hour fasts.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Like most things with weight loss, IF is just another way to restrict your calories. When I did this, I simplified it and just ate a normal dinner around 7:00pm and then not eating until the next day at lunch. That's 16 hours of and 8 hours of eating window. This works out nice because most people don't notice. You can still enjoy your dinner with friends and most people don't think it's odd to skip breakfast.

This. And if you're not losing weight, you're probably not in a calorie deficit.

I recommend this link to help you out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Try it out for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I was told that that was something you added in later because suddenly changing your entire food lifestyle AND going to the gym when you haven't before can be overwhelming.

But drastically changing your eating schedule to 5:2 IF isn't overwhelming?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

This. And if you're not losing weight, you're probably not in a calorie deficit.

I recommend this link to help you out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Try it out for a few weeks and see what happens.

this^
  • itsallpractice
    Options
    IF only works well (emphasis on the word, "well") if some strength/weight training is involved. The first time I tried IF, I wasn't working out, so essentially, all I was doing was limiting my calories at specific periods of time, and more often than not, overcompensating with extra calories during the eating windows, which may be what is happening with you?

IF is almost (to me, and I could be wrong) like you're tweaking your hormone levels and then using those hormones in conjunction with a good workout. If the workout doesn't come, then it's just... starving yourself for certain periods of time.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I have never done 5:2 but if you are hungry in the morning, it might not work for you long term. Make sure you get enough food in those two meals. I usually eat two meals a day because I am not hungry in the morning. If I am hungry I do eat and not starve.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I used to do 5:2, but I found I was ravenous by the second fasting day and I blew it. Now I do a 10:14 window each day, eating from noon until 10 pm. Women shouldn't fast for more than 14 on a regular basis - it can mess with our hormones

You will probably benefit from figuring out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), BMR and then getting your macros in line. (Protein and fats are set too low by MFP, IMO.) I usually have at least 100 g of protein daily, but I strive for 120-150, and 80 g of fat. I fill in the rest of my calories with whatever carbs I want. Here's the calculator I use:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Best of luck!

Edit: You also have to listen to your body when you fast regularly. Today I was hungry after my morning workout, so I ate about three hours earlier than usual.