Lifting calorie intake for weight loss while maintaining LBM

Options
Ok, I tried to get into this a bit before, but people kind of blew it off.

I am now just over 13 lbs into my weight loss, with another 30 lbs of fat Id like to lose. Do to me being military though, I cant really afford the muscle loss or i may start failing PT test. So My plan is to start doing a 5x5 workout 3x a week, but i need to know what I should be doing for caloretic intake. My current intake is 1700 a day. What should I bring that up to in order to maintain my current weight loss goal of 1.5 lbs a week? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• AFWXDUDE
    AFWXDUDE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • trishfitllc
    trishfitllc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    go to iifym.com and calulate your macros based on your activity level....you can select your fat loss calorie deficit......use their iifym calculator model, NOT keto or paleo.....or try 40/30/30...to start, 40 protein, 30 carbs, 30% fats.....40% of your total daily calorie goal in protein should maintain your lean mass while in a calorie deficit.....get at least 1-1.25 grams protein per lb body weight while in a deficit to maintain LBM....also, lift heavy as you can.... light lower volume lifts while dieting do NOT stimulate hypertrophy as well as heavy volume lifting.....so if you train arms M/WF you aren't lifitng hard/heavy enough....parts need to be lifted and rested 4-5 days apart to acheive hypertrophy! good luck!
  • dosh28
    dosh28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So long as your calorie intake is less than your BMR you will lose weight. If you are exercising muscle groups regularly, those muscle groups shouldn't lose mass. If you are worried about it you can add protein to your diet, either as a supplement or a change of food choices.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey, Thank you for your service.:bigsmile: non-professional opinion here. So your goal is to lose weight while trying not to jeopardize your existing lean mass. You will certainly want to eat back some calories then. You're going to have a tougher time of estimating non-cardio activity since HRM's don't do well in that area. There are places online that do "ok" with that,
    Lets say MFP says you can eat 1700 on a day that you don't workout.
    On a day you do workout let's say you burn 500 cals, Since your 1700 calories already puts you in a deficit on track to lose 1.5 lb a week and you've just widened that daily deficit by another 500 calories with your workout you should get some cals back in you. Personally I try to get my cals in me pre-workout and let the workout try to burn those up. (I don't eat and then head right into the gym. I plan a meal 1 1/2 - 2 hours beforehand)

What you want to avoid is to go into a workout hungry and have your system looking for easy fuel to burn. If nothing is handy it will go for lean tissue to convert since it's easier to convert to fuel then fat is. I'm digging in my brain here but I think it's like 700 calories to burn off a lb of lean vs 3500 calories to burn off a lb of fat. Besides. Going into that workout and not being hungry means your focus is better and you're more likely to hit personal performance goals.
    My 2 cents. :)
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My personal feeling is that a grown man should eat at least 2000 calories. If you can't lose weight at a decent clip at that, be more active.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you are Military go ask your Sgt for help. I'm married to a service member and know that there is a lot of free information available to you to help with this issue. The military want's its members to be in good shape (especially if its needed by your job) and will help you reach your goals.

I'm not sure if its just the location we're stationed at but here at the AWC they have free body fat testing/fitness testing and also a free metabolic assessment (for both service members and family) to give you a complete and detailed plan for your specific body. My husband just did his and I'm scheduling mine. Look into the options on your base- you might just be surprised.

As far as your caloric intake- first you have to really be honest with how much and what you're putting in your mouth. Weigh and measure EVERYTHING. Its a pain and not easy with your profession, but it's what you have to do. Just looking at your diary I see some things that look off.

Specifically: Tuesday March 11th- Snacks- "Jiffy Peanut Butter and White Bread - Peanut Butter and Bread, 4 slices". I don't what brand of bread or if it was a special Jiffy (i.e. low fat) however your entry has it down for 220. Generic white bread is 50-60 cals a slice x 4 slices is 200-240 calories right there, not even counting your PB which is 190 cals per 2 tablespoons.

Get into the habit of logging EVERY THING. and get into the habit of logging EVERY DAY. (looks like you fasted last weekend or didn't log). and do however much exercise you can fit into your schedule.

Good luck!
  • AFWXDUDE
    AFWXDUDE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments all. Ill give the websites a look and get going. Ive also checked with base resources, but find that you get better advice from people who have been through it personally. Also, the peanut butter sandwich is doubled to equal the right amount. That was someone elses sandwich and i already knew it was off, but doubling it makes it come out right with the right amounts between the bread and peanut butter.