Is BMI an accurate measure or total B.S.?

Options
1235»

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't totally BS. it is/was used by insurance companies to help determine risk of illness and death. It has the benefit of being quick and easy (and cheap) to determine, unlike BF %. Disadvantage is that it doesn't take into account BF% so doesn't apply to very fit people. Overall, I think it's a good starting point.

This is my take on it. It's useful for getting a quick, basic idea. But it lacks the detail to really see what's going on. Generally, I like to think of it as an indicator of who should prioritize getting more in-depth testing. If you're "normal", you probably don't need to get a closer look right away. But if you're outside normal, you should increase the priority of getting a more detailed exam so you can see what the real situation is.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't totally BS. it is/was used by insurance companies to help determine risk of illness and death. It has the benefit of being quick and easy (and cheap) to determine, unlike BF %. Disadvantage is that it doesn't take into account BF% so doesn't apply to very fit people. Overall, I think it's a good starting point.

This is my take on it. It's useful for getting a quick, basic idea. But it lacks the detail to really see what's going on. Generally, I like to think of it as an indicator of who should prioritize getting more in-depth testing. If you're "normal", you probably don't need to get a closer look right away. But if you're outside normal, you should increase the priority of getting a more detailed exam so you can see what the real situation is.

My take on it is that if BMI is accurate for most (which it is), then more people need to start lifting weights because that's just sad.

To me, it indicates there are a lot of skinny fat people running around with lowered metabolisms due to sub-optimal levels of lean body mass. How 1950s.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I read for someone in the average height range who does not do anything overly energetic it is probably just about ok. If you are taller, shorter or a fitness instructor or athlete than it will be different. the pinch an in test would be more in keeping.

Science has moved on in the last 150 years in the understanding of food and weight and fat. I have heard it said that for the last 60 years the worlds populations have been misled on the right and wrong way to eat. So many demonised foods butter, cheese red meat and heralded ones can conceal toxins, these can have their place in providing essential nutrients. We still use the calorie and bmi as means to gauge, input and size in the as far as I know, the absence of any other more recent system .

Were we to be told of a more relevant modern method, if one exists it would be dismissed in favour of the old tried and tested with the incumbent short comings because we are dinosaurs or not prepared to think for ourselves
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    BMI was invented in the early 1800's by a mathematician (not a doctor) to compare statistics of populations, NOT for individual health.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Just for funz, and related to female vs male muscle mass vs BMI:
    Iris Kyle (9x Ms Olympia) - BMI 24.3-26.6 (contest-offseason)
    Ronnie Coleman (8x Mr Olympia) - BMI 41.4-46.0
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Go off of Body Fat Percentage... Not BMI,

A couple of years ago I had a trainer do a body fat percentage thing... Even if I lost every single ounce of fat on my body, which is impossible, I would still be considered in the overweight/obese category according to BMI. Since I have a lot of muscle... I also unfortunately have a layer of fat covering up my pretty muscles :(

Same here. But the bf isn't complaining!