Breakfast when you're not hungry?

Options
This morning I woke up not hungry. I know it's important to eat breakfast every day. Is it better to force feed myself something or is it better to only eat when you're hungry? (Sidebar: I ended up force-feeding myself a hard-boiled egg just so I would have some protein in my belly to start the day)

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    It's important to eat breakfast every day? Interesting.....
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have never been much of one for eating breakfast. My body is not generally naturally hungry until around 9:30 or 10 o'clock. I used to have my lunch around 10, but the way things are at work it just wont work that way for me anymore.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It is important to "break" the "fast" every day... what time you do that is up to you.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It is important to "break" the "fast" every day... what time you do that is up to you.

Indeed. Failure to break the fast results in death usually. :-D
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    This morning I woke up not hungry. I know it's important to eat breakfast every day. Is it better to force feed myself something or is it better to only eat when you're hungry? (Sidebar: I ended up force-feeding myself a hard-boiled egg just so I would have some protein in my belly to start the day)

Only eat when you are hungry.

Missing breakfast (if your not hungry that is) is brilliant for weight loss.

When you wake in the morning your body has been in a state of fast, the longer you can go without needing to eat the more your body will be burning body fat as fuel.

That being said if you have a relatively high carb diet, WHEN you get hungry do eat, as your body may not be as efficient at converting your stored body fat and may look to other sources (lean mass) for the liver to convert into glycogen.

If you're on a relatively low carb diet and are efficient at burning ketones for fuel - don't sweat it just eat when you're hungry.

Good luck.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast starts the metabolism engine. I would suspect the 1 meal eaters, don't burn as many calories throughout the day. So I support the eat light, like you did with the egg.
  • mondvay
    mondvay Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The hormones that help us relax when we're about to sleep also decreases appetite (which is why we wake up not feeling hungry even if we go to bed starving) so maybe you could try giving yourself more time to wake up before you try to eat? I don't know, it's just a guess :-)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast starts the metabolism engine. I would suspect the 1 meal eaters, don't burn as many calories throughout the day. So I support the eat light, like you did with the egg.

Actually the metabolism engine doesn't need starting, it's always going unless you're dead (zombie apocalypse? ). I suspect we all burn at different rates for many different reasons but those who eat whenever they want with the same amount is no different than eating in a structured way, aside from personal satiety and adherence to diet.

Eat within your calories and whenever you feel is the best for you. I eat about 4 meals myself. My first meal isn't until almost noon on most days. I seem to burn calories just fine.
  • deegcoach1
    deegcoach1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks All!

@tennisdude200: My diet is pretty balanced between carbs, protien, and fat (trying to make a lifestyle out of this), so my body is probably not as 'efficient' as someone on a low-carb diet. That being said, is waiting until I FEEL hungry a good idea?

After years of growing up overweight, I've been told over and over again to eat before the feeling of hunger sets in to 'nip it in the bud'. Which, now as an adult, makes me think...that must be ridiculous...because I've been trying their way for years and guess what? I'm still overweight!

Nevermind, I think I've talked myself into it....if you're not hungry...don't eat. Easy Peasy.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options

WTH? Where did you pull it off from?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Metabolism engine is always running. If not one would be deceased. As soon as one starts physically moving around in the morning, the metabolic rate increases. And why wouldn't 1 meal eaters burn as many calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i never eat unless i'm hungry. My body clock tells me when to eat, not the man made time measuring clock :)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

WTH? Where did you pull it off from?

1282313545_cat-taps-*kitten*.gif?w=295&h=204

Here, maybe?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

This habit you need to break fast.....
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat breakfast. I have lost weight just fine, if you aren't hungry, and you are trying to lose weight, forcing food down your throat when you aren't hungry seems...counterintuitive to me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My goal is to never eat when not hungry, which is why I rarely eat breakfast.
  • IAMTODAY
    IAMTODAY Posts: 7
    Options
    So glad to find this post as this was exactly my question this morning.:huh: I DIDN'T eat breakfast with hubby today at the crack of dawn as usual and had a better walk time then ever, and finally ate after my shower. Could this make for a better workout too(granted I only walk at a slow pace)??? Any of you more athletic folks have an answer. I'm kinda thinking eat when hungry and there is no set rule, take it day by day??? BTW always looking for knowledgeable motivating friends to add :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am up by 7 and I normally don't eat till 9/10 AM. I don't like eating right away- it makes me not happy. If I'm at home doing nothing- I usually won't eat till almost 2- just drink coffee. works for me!