Egg beaters yay or nay

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients:
    Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Egg ingredients:
    Egg.

19cthrwhxoxpmpng.png

ETA: Sorry, the smartass in me just couldn't help it :tongue:

Formaldehyde and acetone in eggs?! But but but they use that in nail polish and nail polish remover! *checks apples and eggs off list of edible foods*

Not srs.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

if you are really that worried about a 50 calorie difference between a food product and a food, you need to rethink your lifestyle. that's just my humble opinion though.

The calories saved by not eating yolks, and the calories from protein % in a meal starts to really add up when you eat like 6-7 servings of whites or beaters as part of a high protein diet.

You can eat a lot of things for those yolk calories to get the nutrition you may have "missed" by not eating them.

I'm not in the "avoid cholesterol at all costs" camp, but it does offer someone who likes eggs a way to eat them without getting a lot of dietary cholesterol.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There are some available where the only ingredient is egg whites. The best before date is usually a little shorter on those, but I think the taste is better. I can't remember the brand, but I bought an egg-substitute by accident once thinking I was buying egg whites - the colour was orange and the taste was really off. Put me off of buying any pourable egg anything for a little while. Yay for random food aversions.

Anyway ... I like them, because I can bulk up my breakfast without wasting a whole bunch more eggs. I generally will use one whole egg and as much as I want of the egg white from the carton. Yummy! Add some green onion, red pepper and goat's cheese and you have a really yummy omelet!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I like them for the lean protein and often have them with the 3-4 whole eggs that I eat every morning.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    to me eating egg beaters is like eating watery plastic and I wouldn't doubt it the chemicals they use to make them isn't to far from plastic. I would stick with real eggs....the yolk is the most nutrient dense part of it anyways.
    They taste chemically to me..I have tried many times to like them but I can barely get them down.. I just make my omelettes with one whole egg and 2 egg whites.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was eating egg beaters but my aunt told me to find something else that just says egg whites. She says that egg beaters have too many added things. Does it matter?

For heavens sake, eat REAL eggs not packaged anything. YUCK and a big fat NAY to egg whites and / or egg beaters!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

if you are really that worried about a 50 calorie difference between a food product and a food, you need to rethink your lifestyle. that's just my humble opinion though.

The calories saved by not eating yolks, and the calories from protein % in a meal starts to really add up when you eat like 6-7 servings of whites or beaters as part of a high protein diet.

You can eat a lot of things for those yolk calories to get the nutrition you may have "missed" by not eating them.

I'm not in the "avoid cholesterol at all costs" camp, but it does offer someone who likes eggs a way to eat them without getting a lot of dietary cholesterol.

Dietary cholesterol has little or no bearing on the body. Actually, most people that start consuming more cholesterol through their eating end up with lower cholesterol because the liver doesn't need to make as much.

From reading some of your other posts, you seem to be outdated with your views of cholesterol and fat.

Cholesterol and fat are very, very important to have adequate intake for proper hormone balance amongst other things.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Dietary cholesterol has little or no bearing on the body. Actually, most people that start consuming more cholesterol through their eating end up with lower cholesterol because the liver doesn't need to make as much.

From reading some of your other posts, you seem to be outdated with your views of cholesterol and fat.

Cholesterol and fat are very, very important to have adequate intake for proper hormone balance amongst other things.

I simply brought up the fact that whites/ beaters are an option for people not wanting the cholesterol from eggs, but who like eggs. I agree that this is not a "good" reason, but it is a choice that some may feel is important.

And yolks don't really offer that much nutritionally that you couldn't get from something more nutritious by the time you eat 6-7 of them. Also the omega6/omega3 ratio is rather poor.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    why not just eat actual eggs?

1/4 cup of egg beaters (equivalent to one egg) is 25 calories
    1 whole large egg (raw) is 74 calories.

And I would say your horse is too high, but that's just my humble opinion, though.

No one ever said I, or any of the other egg substitute consumers, only ate just one egg at a time. 50 calories is one thing. 150-200 calories is another.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Strong opinions about eggs. lol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    NO. No eggbeaters, no chicken eggs AT ALL. Delicious fresh duck eggs for me, from my flock of Muscovies ( and one pair of Pekins, Mr. and Mrs. Aflac, who give us an egg every single day, even at -26 degrees.)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste. If I want just egg whites I separate the eggs myself and save the yolk for something else.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'd choose egg beaters over eggs even if they were identical foods. The carton is just a lot more efficient and takes up less room in my fridge.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients:
    Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Egg ingredients:
    Egg.

19cthrwhxoxpmpng.png

Formaldehyde and acetone in eggs?! But but but they use that in nail polish and nail polish remover! *checks apples and eggs off list of edible foods*

Not srs.

Love.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I eat egg beaters (southwest style). I also eat eggs. Just depends on the meal / day.
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you have high cholesterol as I do, Egg Beaters are a good choice
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Love egg beaters. Easy to drink out of the carton for quick protein or mix into a protein shake and blend. The taste isn't great, but the convenience makes up for it.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients:

Egg ingredients:
    Egg.

19cthrwhxoxpmpng.png

Not srs.

You forgot to mention the benzene and benzene derivatives (carcinogens), esters and what the he11 are terpenes?
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

Both the Mayo Clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045192
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/search/search-results?q=cholesterol and eggs and the NIH: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/chol_tlc.pdf
    disagree with you. Both credible sources have found that on the one hand certain foods can lower cholesterol and on the other hand certain foods (eggs) can increase cholesterol, although they do stated that 4 or less a week do not seem to have a significant impact.

di
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like. I love to eat egg whites in some recipes, but when it comes to just plain eggs I eat whole eggs, fried in butter. I don't really like the flavor of the beaters.