Mexico Resorts What to EAT?

Options

Replies

• BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    #1 I won't be drinking alcohol or any liquid with calories for that matter.
    #2 I won't be eating deep fried foods or candy or chips and stuff.
    #3 I plan to swim every day. Chase my 2-year-old so he doesn't get the chance to run away on me.

what's the point of going to Mexico again?

I got my point. What's yours?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    #1 I won't be drinking alcohol or any liquid with calories for that matter.
    #2 I won't be eating deep fried foods or candy or chips and stuff.
    #3 I plan to swim every day. Chase my 2-year-old so he doesn't get the chance to run away on me.

what's the point of going to Mexico again?

Have fun on your bland vacation. I don't get this at all.

My thoughts. It's not a vacation. But if you keep actiove you should be able to maintain and still enjoy some good Mexican food.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    There is usually an omelet station at resorts too for breakfast. You can pick what you want in it. That would help keep you full through the day. Stay away from the muffins, waffels and the like.

I don't remember much about what was available at other meals...I think there was generally a salad bar and someone carving a ham or something...typical buffet food but with a few more mexican options. Tacos can be a great option, espcially if you can get fish or chicken. Corn tortillas are healthier in most respects than flour, and softshell over hardshell with flour tortillas ( hard shell generally fried). Fajitas are another good option if you watch your portion size.

Don't feel like you can't let loose a bit while you are there. I get that you don't want to throw away all your hard work. Just remember moderation. Maybe allow yourself 3 meals in a the week where you can just eat and drink what you feel like, and be good the rest of the time. It's a vacation afterall :-)
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Mexico on my honeymoon in a few months. I'm planning to relax and not to worry about it for those few days (though I plan on logging and watching my calories again as soon as I get home). Besides, I almost always lose weight on vacations anyway, from being more active during the day, getting more sleep at night, and not stressing out about work!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The best thing about Mexico is their candy :(

This x1000. My vote is to eat all the foodz. It's a vacation.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I got one problem with indulging and enjoying myself while on vacation. I'm Type 1 diabetic. I have to count carbs to know how much insulin to take. Eating too many carbs will require lots of insulin which is not good since it's the fat storing hormone. Also, when eating too many carbs, sometimes it's hard to track and too much insulin may be taken, therefore, low blood sugar and possible passing out. Then come alcohol, that has a high blood sugar effect first, then a while later a low blood sugar effect due to the livers job.I think I will enjoy my vacation more by avoiding alcohol and too many carbs but that's just me.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    We are also heading to Mexico in about 5 weeks. Our Resort has an abundance of healthy foods at the buffets and resturants. Buffet is for breakfast and lunch and then the resturants are for dinner. Breakfast there is an omlet station, tons of fresh fruits and produce, yogurt, and of course all the usual breakfast treats. Lunch there is many options including salmon, chicken, and lean protein choices. And salad bar of course.

My advice is to make great choices for breakfast and lunch and splurge for dinner after a long day of playing in the sun! And like others noted have a few drinks, and just enjoy your VACATION!!

Vacation should not be stressful :drinker: :happy:

Very good, moderate advice.

Vacation, for me, is filled with activity - walking, swimming, snorkeling. But it's also a time to relax, enjoy food and drink, and unwind.

If that means I gain a pound or two (which - SURPRISE! never actually happens despite eating above maintenance, because weight gain/loss is not instantaneous but rather the result of long-term habits) it will be gone in a week or two.

Of course, the scale thinks I gained 6-8 pounds after vacation, but the scale is silly and the water retention goes away within days.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and keep as hydrated as you can to prevent water retention that might make you *think* you've gained weight. Even the people who said they only gained 1-2 lb from blown-out vacations probably were only retaining water.

You already said you're going to keep active. You have the money to spend on an all-inclusive, but you're not going to use what comes with that? You don't have to go overboard to enjoy yourself.

Why the specific focus on sugar and carbs? Do you have insulin or gall bladder issues?

ETA because the meat was for the cat: Whoops, you literally just answered this. You know what to do, then; eat as you would anywhere else, since the resort area you mention will be 75% American food anyway. Still not sure why fat's a concern.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I got one problem with indulging and enjoying myself while on vacation. I'm Type 1 diabetic. I have to count carbs to know how much insulin to take. Eating too many carbs will require lots of insulin which is not good since it's the fat storing hormone. Also, when eating too many carbs, sometimes it's hard to track and too much insulin may be taken, therefore, low blood sugar and possible passing out. Then come alcohol, that has a high blood sugar effect first, then a while later a low blood sugar effect due to the livers job.I think I will enjoy my vacation more by avoiding alcohol and too many carbs but that's just me.

Well, this is information that might have been helpful in your original post.

Besides, if you're a Type 1 diabetic, you obviously know how to eat for your blood sugar control better than any of us can advise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Apart from the themed restaurants most of the food is buffet style and I found it to be good quality - so the choice and quantity is all down to you.

I hope you don't let your fear of food or weight gain spoil your vacation, family holidays are precious.

If you want some entertainment try and guess the nationality of your fellow holiday makers by their behaviour at the buffet - it's quite illuminating.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Fish Tacos
    Beer.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Real Mexico or pretend Mexico? You know, the places for Americans who cant live without Subway and McDonalds....

Real Mexico. On a beach resort. Riviera Maya I think it will be.

I was just there a few weeks ago. Stick with the buffet...I was able to get egg white omlettes in teh morning, yogurt, TONS of fruit...salad...smoked salmon....smoothies....veggies....you'll be fine. I was worried to and after the first day that was alleviated.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 1 diabetic.

^^ this kind of changes things.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and keep as hydrated as you can to prevent water retention that might make you *think* you've gained weight. Even the people who said they only gained 1-2 lb from blown-out vacations probably were only retaining water.

You already said you're going to keep active. You have the money to spend on an all-inclusive, but you're not going to use what comes with that? You don't have to go overboard to enjoy yourself.

Why the specific focus on sugar and carbs? Do you have insulin or gall bladder issues?

ETA because the meat was for the cat: Whoops, you literally just answered this. You know what to do, then; eat as you would anywhere else, since the resort area you mention will be 75% American food anyway. Still not sure why fat's a concern.

Fat is a concern because very high fat foods effect your blood sugar 8-10 hours down the road. Besides, it's more healthy to eat a meal with 20grams of fat than with 90grams of fat.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Your basic three rules are good! Stay away from fried, any "Cream sauces" or anything "crispy". Mexico will have LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies. Stick to those and lean meats like seafood (there will be lots of that as well). You can build an entire plate of foods with fish and veggies and they will be delicious. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Fat is a concern because very high fat foods effect your blood sugar 8-10 hours down the road. Besides, it's more healthy to eat a meal with 20grams of fat than with 90grams of fat.

So, whatever you'd eat at home, eat in Mexico.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

So, whatever you'd eat at home, eat in Mexico.
    Perfect! I hope they have low carb yogurt though. I really hate how grocery store's yogurt and berry dishes always use the yogurts with like 25grams of carbs in them!
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I frequent mexico 2-5 times a year. Once a year i spend 5-7 days there. Best thing to eat is fresh fish in my opinion because thats what i like. Anything from grilled fish to shrimp ceviche to a seafood omelette. The problem i ahve in mexico or the mexican beers that are oh so tasty when its warm out. Swimming will burn a lot of calories so you are going to have to make sure your getting your calorie intake in. machaca and eggs is a solid breakfast dish as well but normally comes with refried beans and potatoes. Everything will have tortillas near it so watch out for that as well. I absolutely love Mexico.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Seafood, the insides of tacos and burritos, salads with meat...lots of salsa. :)
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I frequent mexico 2-5 times a year. Once a year i spend 5-7 days there. Best thing to eat is fresh fish in my opinion because thats what i like. Anything from grilled fish to shrimp ceviche to a seafood omelette. The problem i ahve in mexico or the mexican beers that are oh so tasty when its warm out. Swimming will burn a lot of calories so you are going to have to make sure your getting your calorie intake in. machaca and eggs is a solid breakfast dish as well but normally comes with refried beans and potatoes. Everything will have tortillas near it so watch out for that as well. I absolutely love Mexico.

I'm from the Maritimes in Canada so I love fish too! Lobster, scallops and shrimp yummmmmmyyyyy!!!!