NROLFW: Is this a correct protein calculation?

Options
So I'm reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women since it has been talked about so much on here and I figure I need something different since the scale is stuck. ( I'm trying to get back in the habit of eating better and logging accurately) I'm figuring out the protein amounts I should have if I start doing this. Based on the formulas in the book, I come out with 169 grams of protein per day assuming 2,254 calories per day (5' 11", 217 lbs right now).

I'm in disbelief. If I've done the calculation right, then I have not gotten anywhere near enough protein. No wonder I get so hungry sometimes and am having a hard time progressing in running! And furthermore, if I've understood the book correctly, I'm worried that alot of the weight I've lost is muscle not fat.

PS- I'm still reading the book, so I'm nowhere near to implementing this yet, so if I'm wrong right now, no big deal to change.

Replies

• ambuford21
    ambuford21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Guess it is about right. Had to change the protein/carb/fat ratios in my profile and its pretty close.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Seems reasonable, that is 30% calories from protein.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. (I have read through the book even though I'm a guy). Btw, there's a group for the book on MFP somewhere...search it out! It's a great book!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I would recommend skipping the NROLFW nutrition and eating section.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats, that seems reasonable. However, you'll likely be fine with a little lower protein goal - say, about 140 grams or so. How far off have you been?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right!
  • ambuford21
    ambuford21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It had me at around 90 grams of protein. No wonder I felt fine in the evening when I'd have high protein meal like baked chicken with paprika (hubby's favorite) and felt like crap the other times. Its been really hard trying to stay in calories when I'm starving during the day.

Oh and I calculated the new protein goal on the assumption that it was a no workout day, so the days I ran probably weren't doing any good.

I'm thinking I should at least try this higher protein thing for a week or two and see how I feel. I suspect much better.