Best way to meet someone?

Options

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Online isn't the only way, but it can be very efficient if you have a good BS radar.

Otherwise, try to meet people while doing whatever it is you like to do. Get bold and introduce yourself. See where it goes from there. I do not advise trying to meet people at typical "singles" spots if what you're looking for is a long-term "someone special," as opposed to a one-night "someone special." I also do not advise fix-ups unless you trust that the person(s) fixing you up know you really, really well. Everyone I know and their grandma tries to fix me up, and it always ends in disaster since I have apparently not made it clear enough that I am not interested in *kitten*. I will never again do the fix-up thing unless it's my brother or sister orchestrating it. I do not trust anyone else to be honest with me about how douchey someone is maybe BEFORE I waste a hot dress on him.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I met my current partner via OkCupid. I would highly recommend it. Do answer lots of match questions, then look for people who are 90%+ Match with you. Easy!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Join a club of some sort. It means that you will have at least one thing in common.

I was new in the city a few years ago and looking to make friends and not having any luck at the office I worked at so I joined CouchSurfing.org. I like to travel, meet people from other countries, and I think hospitality/community is important so I picked this one. My local chapter meets weekly and monthly. I have met some awesome people going to those meetings. Its just random strangers meeting in a local bar or coffee shop but its actually a lot of fun. I did get a few dates out of it, but mostly I made a few great friends. I have a friend back east who joined a local hiking club. If you arent into the club scene, you just have to get creative about where you meet men.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I meet them at funerals, easy pickings.

Have the courtesy to close the coffin with you're done.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

Have the courtesy to close the coffin with you're done.

SMH
  • 3P0X
    3P0X Posts: 302
    Options
    The courting process is what makes it so much fun and memorable. Next time you see a girl in the coffee shop, go and ask the owner if you can make her a cappuccino and present it to her before asking her out on a date.

addict-coffee-heart-latte-Favim.com-111518.jpg
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

hopefully you mean the mourners and not the deceased. :-/
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    [Who need anybody in this age where technology rule the world

f9ggl9yxwtmnygikug4v.gif
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Best way to meet some one is doing something you enjoy. If you happen you cross paths with some one you find attractive while doing that something, you'll at least know you share something in interest.
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I met my bf online on Plenty of Fish. LOL
    I had gotten out of an 18yr relationship a few months before and wanted to see what else was out there since I only ever had one bf!

I was kind of wild and free at that point and tried the bar scene....that was only good for a one night stand. :wink: LOL I couldn't figure out how else to meet guys so I gave POF a try. I am SOOOOOOO very glad I did! My guy is awesome!

There were obv a few douchy dudes at first (got a lot of very explicit messages :tongue: )....but I also met a few good guys. I am actually still friends with a few and have been with my amazing bf for almost 2 years now! Me and my bf actually just wanted to be friends at first....then it turned into friends with benefits pretty quickly....and then to a relationship within a couple months!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I met hubby 22-23 years ago when I put an ad in the personals in our local newspaper. I was tired of going to bars and worked with mostly women so I wasn't meeting the type of guys I wanted to. I got a PO box and received a lot of snail mail letters. I weeded out the ones who couldn't construct a coherent thought and the ones who were creepy for whatever reason.

We've been married 21 years and neither has killed the other one yet so i think it's working.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    MFP.

And you don't have to show skin... although I'm not opposed if you'd like to give us a quick demo of what's for sale.

That's not true, the only girls I talk to on MFP are barely clothed....

Catfish...beware of the catfish bro
    12657296111596.jpg
    Heeeeeeeeey! You said you weren't going to post this pic of me. You totally ruined my game with the ladies. :grumble:
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Best way to meet some one is doing something you enjoy. If you happen you cross paths with some one you find attractive while doing that something, you'll at least know you share something in interest.

+1
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I met my current boyfriend of 4.5 years on OKCupid - I recommend it! My whole thing when I joined was that I didn't want to pay to be rejected - so I was sold on the fact that OKC was free. :laugh: It was also pretty fun going through and answering a bunch of questions and seeing how others responded to them.

But being a total nerd, I also really like how they use the data they gather to make some really insightful analyses, that are also usually really entertaining to read about.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...

I have started my boxing and joining a running club this week, just to widen my circle, I think that even if I don't meet someone there it will give me a bit more confidence and they have social events too don't they?

The reason I don't think on-line dating sites are the way for me is because I have tried it and it just hasn't worked for me and I have given it a serious go.

Friends of friends is difficult, although I have asked and made a lovely friend out of that. But if any of you lovely people know anyone in my part of the world (south of England) then that'd be cool.

Funerals - interesting, I think I would have to "crash" a funeral as I haven't been to many recently.

I've opened up my Meetup.com account again and joined a couple of groups.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    [Who need anybody in this age where technology rule the world

f9ggl9yxwtmnygikug4v.gif

meh. they both have silicon implants.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options

^ I second this.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

I agree. I move a lot for work and sometimes the online dating scene is just as ridiculous as the bar scene. I've found that using something like MeetUp.com is much more effective for finding friends and people to date because like the poster said above, you at least know you have something in common and also, it's more of a natural social setting.